Breaking: Mark Warner to announce he will NOT run in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
He'll have a formal announcement to Virginia reporters at 11.

I'm really worried that something has seriously gone wrong. When I spoke to him a month ago it was all about the presidential aspirations, he told me to tell people that he's "the real deal".

Oy vey.

wait and see.

at first blush, he seemed like a great potential candidate.

maybe setting himself up as HRC's VP?

Just got this e-mail from his Forward Together PAC:
Dear Laura,

Nine months ago, I left the office of Governor in Virginia. I was immensely proud of what we had accomplished. We faced historic challenges and got real results.

Upon leaving office, I committed all my time and energy to Forward Together because we need a new direction in America.

Everywhere I’ve traveled, I found hope that we could turn this country around. That Americans are looking for leaders who at this moment of enormous challenge for our country can actually bring us together and get things done.

I’ve heard that regardless of the depth of dismay at the direction President Bush has taken our country, rank and file Democrats are energized, and want ours to be a party of hope, not of anger.

I am especially proud of the work we’ve done in supporting those kinds of candidates throughout America.

We got a lot done.

Forward Together has contributed more money this year to Democratic candidates and party organizations than any other federal leadership PAC. Our effort raised over $9 million.

I headlined 86 events in 25 states to help raise or directly donate $7.3 million to Democrats this cycle.

And our work is not done—especially at home in Virginia, where I continue to work to help Jim Webb win.

But this has also been another kind of journey—one that would lead to a decision as to whether I would seek the Democratic nomination for President.

Late last year, I said to Lisa and my girls, “Let’s go down this path and make a decision around Election Day.”

But there were hiring decisions and people who’ve put their lives on hold waiting to join this effort.

So about a month ago, I told my family and people who know me best that I would make a final decision after Columbus Day weekend, which I was spending with my family. After 67 trips to 28 states and five foreign countries, I have made that decision.

I have decided not to run for President.

This past weekend, my family and I went to Connecticut to celebrate my Dad’s 81st birthday, and then we took my oldest daughter Madison to start looking at colleges.

I know these moments are never going to come again. This weekend made clear what I’d been thinking about for many weeks—that while politically this appears to be the right time for me to take the plunge—at this point, I want to have a real life.

And while the chance may never come again, I shouldn’t move forward unless I’m willing to put everything else in my life on the back burner.

This has been a difficult decision, but for me, it’s the right decision.

It’s not a decision I have easily reached. I made it after a lot of discussion with my family and a few close friends, and ultimately a lot of reflection, prayer, and soul-searching.

Let me also tell you what were not the reasons for my decision.

This is not a choice that was made based on whether I would win or lose. I can say with complete conviction that—15 months out from the first nomination contests—I feel we would have had as good a shot to be successful as any potential candidate in the field.

As for my family, Lisa and our three girls have always had a healthy amount of skepticism, but would have been willing to buckle down and support the effort. I love them all and appreciate their faith in me.

So what’s next?

First, I know that many friends, staff and supporters who have been so generous with time, ideas, energy, and financial support will be disappointed.

My decision does not in any way diminish my desire to be active in getting our country fixed. It doesn’t mean that I won’t run for public office again.

I want to serve, whether in elective office or in some other way. I’m still excited about the possibilities for the future.

In the short-term, I am going to do everything I can do make sure Democrats win in 2006. It’s an exciting year to be a Democrat. I leave shortly to go to Iowa to support folks running for state and congressional office. Hope they are still excited to see me.

I want to thank the thousands of Americans who have donated to Forward Together, hosted me in their homes, shared their ideas, and given me encouragement.

I also want to thank all of the staff and key advisors at Forward Together who have created a great organization. If we had chosen to go forward, I know they had the skills, talent, and dedication to take us all the way.

And finally, as I have traveled the country, I have been amazed at what pent-up positive energy for change exists.

In my speeches, I always acknowledge that what disappoints me most about this administration in Washington is that with all the challenges we face . . . and the tragedies we have experienced, from 9-11 to Katrina . . . that the President has never rallied the American people to come together, to step up, to ask Americans to be part of the solution.

I think a number of our party’s potential candidates understand that. I think, in fact, we have a strong field. A field of good people. I think they’re all hearing what I heard: that Americans are ready to do their part to get our country fixed. I wish them all well.

And I want to say thanks to all who’ve been part of this effort.

Mark Warner

:sigh:

Maybe he'll run for governor again in 2009.

so ... for fun, let's speculate.

for the Dems,

president: HRC, Gore, Kerry, Edwards
VP's: Richardson, Obama, Warner

who else?

what is funny here

is that the GOP is most afraid of Hillary

and Dems are swallowing it

the only reason Bush got close enough to become President in 2000

was a feeling for nostalgia,

there was just enough longing for the clean image of Bush 1, that got transferred to W to get the job done

I can't tell you how many people I talked to that said, I like his father.
I am voting for him

the whole campaign was based on this
a good portion of the 48%
that voted for W did so because of his father

with Hillary

don't you think a good portion will
believe the Clinton years were much better
then these last 8 years??

in a evenly polarized country
the dems only need a few inroads

in states like NM, NH, MO, and OH

so what if she can't carry the deep red states in the south

as for Warner,

why do this now?

I hope it helps Webb

I kind of think,
the Rove machine dug up something on him, that they may have cut loose to save Allen if the race remains close.

Obama for President. He is real thing. He is what this country needs. He is the anti-Bush. He's everything we need.

Unfortunately, he's black. I don't give a shit what color he is, but I fear this country isn't all that close to being able to elect a black president.

Obama's wonderful, but someone who was just elected to the senate in '04? Don't think so. He needs many more years of experience.

Hillary could NEVER win the south...and the Democrats really can't completely write us off, they can't bank on their core states plus crossing their fingers that they win swing states. It's a terrible strategy, as seen in 2004.

I really don't think the GOP fears her that much, they certainly weren't afraid to take her on in the 90s...why should they be afraid now? I just think Hillary would be way to divisive for the nation when we REALLY need someone who could actually bring people together...someone like...Mark Warner :angry:

Obama has not really done much to impress me after being elected. I had higher hopes for him, and think he showed more promise than he's managed to deliver.

namkcuR said:
Obama for President. He is real thing. He is what this country needs. He is the anti-Bush. He's everything we need.

Unfortunately, he's black. I don't give a shit what color he is, but I fear this country isn't all that close to being able to elect a black president.

You know, I've thought for several years that America would elect a black man before they'd vote for a woman of any color.

In other words, I think there is more latent misogony than latent racism because it's in all the cultures in some way.

Last edited:
Wonkette casts aspersions on Warner's claims that he just wants to spend more time with his family and manages to sneak in a George Allen joke in the process: "To announce in late '06 that you won't be running in '08, when you've already begun amassing your warchest and winning over opinion leaders, suggests something quite deliciously awry. What is it? Remember: he's a Virginia politician, so he's probably got a history of racism, sexism, and making fun of kids with Down Syndrome."

u2Dem,
sorry, i know you are still traumatized
but, this stuff is going to be flying around in the next few days

:angry:

George Allen really has made a laughing stock out of Virginia and I hate it. I love living here, I would love representing this state...and everyone...at least people north of here, now think we're all stupid rednecks because of him. It really does piss me off. :yell:

U2democrat said:
:angry:

George Allen really has made a laughing stock out of Virginia and I hate it. I love living here, I would love representing this state...and everyone...at least people north of here, now think we're all stupid rednecks because of him. It really does piss me off. :yell:

yet, slowly but surely, thanks to the population explosion and spectacular economy of the Northern Virginia suburbs of DC, Virginia might turn blue one day in the not too distant future.

Ugh, I'm not math major, but:

Dad Turning 81 + Daughter Going to College = I don't want to be president and help my country.

That formula seems flawed. Why do I never have a calculator when I need one!?

His wife was never keen on being first lady of Virginia, she hated it. Even on a small scale she said she felt like she was living in a fishbowl. When urged to run for senate again, something she said was "he'd have to do it with another wife."

Add that into the equation as well.

but he had so much money already and he was on the cover of the NYT Magazine, calling him the "anti-Hillary."

something really, really big must have come up.

In '96 he ran for senate and lost, then in 2001 he ran for governor and won, and served his 4 year term. (Governors in Virginia aren't allowed to succeed themselves, he can run for gov in 2009 if he wants to though).

To answer your question, he got into it after they got married.

Hm. So that adjusts my calculation.

Dad Turning 81 + Daughter Going to College * Dragging Unwilling Wife Into A World of Shit = I don't want to be president and help my country.

OK, makes more sense now. Maybe Rove (or whoever) has something on her.

That is disappointing.

Not that I know much about the potential dem candidates running for 2008, but I just hope whoever does, has a strong background and a swell of supporters that will get together and push him (or her!) through. Also they have to be impeccably strong to survive the shit storm that the republicians will make.

Who else is there?

U2democrat said:
Oh I agree, I think something must have happened, I was just adding the info about his wife.
or
he could just be smart

realizing that he would probably not get the nom

he is lacking in foreign policy experience
and 2008 will still be a lot about national security

the timing is the only thing I question

why do it just a few weeks before the election?

does this help
or hurt Webb?

Back
Top Bottom