Bravo to the average, everyday, ordinary citizens of the USA - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
say what you want about Americans but I still believe most of us really come through at a time like this and are good decent people
Agree wholeheartedly with this. I have faith in the majority of Americans, they're a good lot . And it's stories like these that, as I've said before, really make me proud to live here. This is the America I know and love.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
and there's nothing wrong w/ people being concerned about the animals too, in many cases that's all people have left other than their family. People have special emotional bonds w/ pets, and especially for children how can they take that heartbreak when they've already suffered so much
Completely agree with this as well.

Thanks to all in this thread who've shared positive stories, it's a nice change of pace after all the chaos of the past week. And I raise a glass to all those who've been helping out so far-thanks, guys, way to go .

Angela

Old 09-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 AM
last I heard it was almost 600 million

The Rolling Stones' A Bigger Bang Tour announced that they have made a $1 million donation to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund for Hurricane Katrina. The tour will also offer fans a way to get directly involved by making their own contributions to the American Red Cross at the local concert venues throughout the tour. This effort began in Milwaukee and will continue throughout the tour.

The Boston Red Sox and their fans have also raised a ton of money, I don't have a number but it is substantial and growing every day

Old 09-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

posted something ... but nevermind
Old 09-10-2005, 06:42 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 12:34 PM
I said it after September 11 and I will say it again now. I might dislike what my goverment does but I am absolutely and madly in love with the people of this country.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:00 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Magic Johnson has promised jobs for some of the Katrina victims staying in a Los Angeles shelter. The former NBA star runs his own corporation, which includes fitness centers and chain restaurants.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:50 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:34 PM

Dang that's a lot of money.....I was able to give $2!!

That also meant I had no cash for over a week, but it's just as well...they deserve it more than I do.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:56 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

that's great U2democrat
Old 09-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
I said it after September 11 and I will say it again now. I might dislike what my goverment does but I am absolutely and madly in love with the people of this country.
I agree. I think Americans are generous, good people with alot of heart. The local fundraisers are raisiing tons of money.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LoveTown
I agree. There may be a few bad eggs in this world, but even a cynical, snarky bitch like myself thinks many people truly want to help others.

I'm between jobs right now and money is tight, but I did donate my check from a marketing job I did for a friend of mine. Half went to the Red Cross and the other half went to the Humane Society of the US.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #25
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Just wanted to mention a couple things...

1) If any of you are willing to host evacuees in your home but assumed you live too far from NO to help out in that way...please, still consider posting your offer on hurricanehousing.org or KatrinaHousing.org, and check with your local Red Cross, newspaper or NPR station to see if anyone is helping place evacuees in your area. I'm involved in coordinating a local effort here in Southern Indiana, and it's really surprising how many evacuees there are even this far north.

2) I finally heard today from an old friend I grew up with in Mississippi, who I'd been very worried about...she's worked at the NO Public Library for several years now, and even though she's lost pretty much everything, she was ELATED when we spoke because they'd just found out that the library's main building--which houses centuries' worth of precious, irreplaceable history in the form of the NO City Archives--survived Katrina almost entirely unscathed. This can't compare to the joy I felt knowing my friend was alive and well, but nonetheless... .
Old 09-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

concerning point 1, we're stuck with an extra apartment (long story ) and can't get out of the contract til January, and are trying to give it to some refugees (or at least sublease it for cheap).
Old 09-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

I'm glad your friend is OK, and I'm glad the New Orleans Public Library preserved its archives. I was wondering about the libraries in New Orleans.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:12 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
concerning point 1, we're stuck with an extra apartment (long story ) and can't get out of the contract til January, and are trying to give it to some refugees (or at least sublease it for cheap).
Wow! That's a really wonderful thing to do. It makes your hardship (of having and extra apartment to pay for) a great benefit for someone else. I hope it works out!
Old 09-10-2005, 04:13 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah, I hope it works out and actually happens.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:14 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
Good idea . Hopefully those people will be able to get a chance to stay there.

We have a housing shortage here in our town, so I don't know how many refugees we'd be able to house here, but if any are going to be coming up through the northeastern part of Wyoming, hopefully, our town can hear about it and find some way to give them a place to stay. Even if it's just a motel for now, at least it's something, you know?

yolland, that's awesome news on both accounts-glad your friend's all right, and that's neat that that library managed to come through the hurricane all right.

I've been hearing some stories of acts of kindness by people throughout these little telethons/concerts that we've been seeing lately...man, some people are really going out of their way to help these people. Like that one lady on last night's telethon, who'd go around delivering necessities to people and stuff. That's freakin' amazing. But very, very cool .

My dad's station's been doing a lot of donation drive type things to help out with relief efforts, too. And I think my mom's store's doing the same, or thinking of ways to do something. Same goes for my sister's school, they're doing donation things, too.

I should see if my school's doing anything......

Angela