Bra Check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I can't imagine having to prove you're wearing a bra at work and having someone actually touch you to check, completely humiliating. I don't know if it's worth 9 million dollars though. Maybe things like this are one reason among many that nursing home workers are so frustrated and burned out. How would a lack of a bra affact patient care? It's county policy too :hmm: I wonder if they check male workers for bottoms..

Bra Check Spurs Nursing Home Worker to Sue

ELIZABETHTOWN, N.Y.

A former nursing home worker has filed a $9 million federal lawsuit against an upstate county, claiming she's suffered mental anguish and needs anti-anxiety medication after being forced to prove she was wearing a bra at work.

Karen Tenney claims in the lawsuit against Essex County that a supervisor at the Horace Nye Nursing Home where she worked placed her hand on the back of Tenney's sweater to feel for a bra clasp.

When a clasp wasn't found, Tenney, a dietary aide, pulled up her sweater to show she was wearing a black sports bra. The move triggered other workers inside the dietary unit to show off the bras they were wearing.

"I feel that the actions of those involved constitute sexual harassment under federal and state law," Tenney said in court papers. "I have been constructively terminated by the actions of ... my employer and (the) failure to stop this harassment."

The undergarment check happened in April after nursing home officials received a complaint that Tenney was not wearing a bra as required by county policy.

Besides Essex County, which is in the Adirondacks, Tenney also names in her lawsuit the nursing home, county Attorney Richard Meyer and the state Civil Service Employees Union.

"We contend the suit is without merit," Meyer said.

ick. Like it's any of their business? What's next? Feeling up women to "check" if they have regulations style bras? :no:

I once had a 50+ year old (drunk) woman at the Rennfest try (repeatedly) to reach up under my kilt to determine my undergarment status. I should've sued.

This method of checking for a bra is unacceptable.

I wonder if a business dress code can reasonably include a requirement to wear a bra?

nbcrusader said:

I wonder if a business dress code can reasonably include a requirement to wear a bra?

when I worked in retail the dress code said something like "appropriate undergarments"

they had a real obsession w/ the female employees wearing pantyhose too, I would even catch the managers looking to see if we had them on.. a few times I even heard them asking :|

Oh yeah, appropriate bras are a must but who gives a damn about all the disgusting men who refuse to wear anti-perspirant. Ever been stuck in a confined place with one of them, your head squeezed between a wall and their armpit?

Reading all this...makes me glad I'm a wizard......Let's see how does that song go...........In The Real World????

:|

randhail said:

Only if you can prove you were intelligent to begin with.

That's really not appropriate, nor was your comment about "overweight women" and the mental anguish they might cause you

There goes another one of my threads, I am so tired of this..

If an adult male cannot do his job without worry about if the women he's working with or for have a bra on, he's not hirable as far as I'm concerned. :down:

MrsSpringsteen said:

There goes another one of my threads, I am so tired of this..

I apologise, it's just shit like that bothers me. I guess I should just ignore, but sometimes you can't ignore posters like that.

To get back on subject. I think this is discusting. There are much better ways to enforce dress codes.

On a side note: My first real job was at an amusement park, and they had a very strict dress code. Men were not allowed to wear colored underwear, for most it wasn't a problem, because how could you tell? Except my section's uniform included white shorts. I was 16, back then wore boxers and none of them were plain white. So one day I bent over to pick something up and my manager noticed I had polka dots on my boxers. So she sent me home without pay.:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I apologise, it's just shit like that bothers me. I guess I should just ignore, but sometimes you can't ignore posters like that.

I wasn't talking about you, I understand why you said what you said and I appreciate it 100 %

randhail said:
Everyone needs to get the sticks out their ass and lighten up.

Sorry, I don't think so. I think people have a right to be offended by your comments, gee I would think especially "overweight women" (which was NOT relevant to the thread and actually just serves to point out further the attitudes that women are up against). Please don't get my thread about bra checks closed, OK (I had no idea it would spawn this)? Can't you just leave it at what you've already said? If you want to "lighten up" and make certain types of comments, maybe you could do that in another part of Interference.

randhail said:
Everyone needs to get the sticks out their ass and lighten up.

So you'd be OK with having to drop your pants and getting your balls prodded every morning on your way in to work? And if you thought that was just a bit out of line, we could assume you had a stick up your ass?

Maybe some of the patients in the nursing home encountered a worker that was not wearing a bra and were offended by it. That's a pretty likely explanation.

As for having my balls prodded, that's not really the same as touching someone on the back and checking for a clasp, but a good old ball prod could feel good in the morning. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom