Bra Check - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carmelu2fan

Amen...if you look and notice a gal has no bra on ...by all means overt your eyes...go on with you work and your life!
Dress codes are not driven by job performance. There are other factors considered. Otherwise, many of us could show up to work in robes and fuzzy slippers.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #77
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:03 AM
If the bra issue was policy of the nursing home and they were questioning whether or not she was wearing one, she should have been called aside or into a supervisors office where a same-sex higher-up could have seen if the woman in question was compliant. This lawsuit sounds ridiculous...

Old 09-30-2005, 05:48 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman
oh man, i WISH i could get someone to check if i was wearing a bra.

and if he looked like orlando bloom, that would be ok too.

Old 10-01-2005, 02:57 AM   #79
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Dress codes are not driven by job performance. There are other factors considered. Otherwise, many of us could show up to work in robes and fuzzy slippers.
Dress codes are for appearance or safety. Neither is affected by wearing a bra. There is NO justification for checking someone's underwear. You'd be spitting chips if it were your wife.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:08 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I disagree Angela Harlem - to an extent.

There can be a safety reason for a bra code. I'm not sure what it is, but there could be one. From the sound of the article, it did appear it was a female supervisor doing the checking, not a perverted male figurehead. And if this dress code rule was there for a while, it's not like the woman suddenly didn't know.

However, there are a lot of things we don't know. Is this a safety reason or a professional one? If the latter, at what point can one dictate what an employee wears? Was it indeed a female supervisor? If not, that alone is a problem. How long was this policy in place and why is it there? If it's something brand new that exists because *one* patient complained about a bra-less woman, then that's going overboard and is ridiculous. And how is this bra-check done? Is it as "professional" a touch as it could be? How often are women asked to raise their shirts?

I'm not a fan of the bra-check at all, but as there may be reasons for it and as the policy may have been in place for a LONG time, I need more facts.

Still $9M is ridiculous.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:20 AM   #81
Jesus Online

She is a nurse doctorwho. What on earth can you disagree with. How is it ever possibly justified to be wanting to know the details of someone's underwear? Go and think of a good reason why anyone has the right to check someone's bra, and you can have a reason for disagreeing.

And I do agree the 9 million is ridiculous. Everything about this is ridiculous.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:33 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I said I disagree in that *IF* this "bra-check" policy was in place BEFORE the woman started, then she has no right to suddenly complain. It's kind of like taking a job and suddenly complaining that you have to wear certain shoes or no shorts or protective gear - and that you will be reprimanded for it if you fail to follow the policy.

Now, I'm not saying this is a good policy. My guess is that at one point there was a nurse who didn't wear a bra and patients complained. It could have been some over-sensitive prude who felt it was "just wrong". Or there could have been a safety issue involved. I don't know! And neither do you. Therefore, until ALL the facts are know, I can't fully agree with you. Yes, the policy sounds absurd. But there may be reasons and the policy may have existed for a while.

I just know that if I worked at a place that had some undergarment checking policy, I know I'd be upset. If I wasn't informed of this policy prior to my hiring and if I left another position because of it, I would sue as well. Maybe not for $9M though... I'd go for $20M.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:42 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84
while i think the idea of these women being asked to prove that they were wearing bras was wrong, i'm wondering why on earth a woman would feel the need to lift up her entire shirt to do so.

a woman can very easily prove that they are wearing a bra by simply pulling aside the collar of her sweater or blouse and exposing a single strap.

lifting up the entire shirt is not only extreme, but completely unnecessary.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:46 AM   #84
Jesus Online

The only safety/health issue with bras I can think of is long term tissue damage when they're not worn when they should be. But that is not the place of the employer to make bones about.

All I know and ca say for certain, is any bra checking policy IS absurd, and this woman is equally as absurd as she clearly had no qualms in lifting her shirt to show her bra (which takes a great deal of alcohol for me to do likewise). I cant help but wonder just how traumatised she actually was. If it was 9 million worth, then I'd think the odds are you are not in the frame of mind to be so brazen upon the request with the 'showing'.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:09 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm sure if a guy wanted to see some funbags, he could have easily paid <$100 at his local strip joint for some fun.

Not that I really know anything about that, in all reality.

But I figure I'd get out my "Male Chauvenist Comment Of The Day". It's been a while since I had one of those.

$9 mill?
I sympathize with her - med bills are a lot these days

But she wasn't exactly forced into Playboy, neither, so I think that's a rather large payday. But of course we're beating dead horses here, aren't we.

I wonder, really, if this lady had anything worth looking at

*bracingmyselfforsomeonetogetoffended*
Old 10-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #86
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
I said I disagree in that *IF* this "bra-check" policy was in place BEFORE the woman started, then she has no right to suddenly complain. It's kind of like taking a job and suddenly complaining that you have to wear certain shoes or no shorts or protective gear - and that you will be reprimanded for it if you fail to follow the policy.

Now, I'm not saying this is a good policy. My guess is that at one point there was a nurse who didn't wear a bra and patients complained. It could have been some over-sensitive prude who felt it was "just wrong". Or there could have been a safety issue involved. I don't know! And neither do you. Therefore, until ALL the facts are know, I can't fully agree with you. Yes, the policy sounds absurd. But there may be reasons and the policy may have existed for a while.

I just know that if I worked at a place that had some undergarment checking policy, I know I'd be upset. If I wasn't informed of this policy prior to my hiring and if I left another position because of it, I would sue as well. Maybe not for $9M though... I'd go for $20M.
You're arguement is pretty vague and weak, to be frank, Dr. We can only judge by the facts we have (if someone has another article on this, by all means, post away!). You admit your self you can't imagine a safety reason for a bra-code. And by the logic of your 1st paragraph applied consistently, no one would be able to advocate for better labor standards.

Those who are (ok, sorta half-heartedly ) defending this policy need to deal with its gender-specific nature, as well.

Lifting the shirts entirely does make sense if you view it as a form of protest. Not saying that I would, mind you
Old 10-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

The only reason I can think of to require someone in her position to wear a bra is b/c she probably has to lean over people a lot when she's helping them, or maybe they're uncomfortable being held against her.....but neither of those have anything to do with safety...and really even if you lean over someone with a bra on, you can still see a lot...
Old 10-01-2005, 01:10 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by For Honor
I'm sure if a guy wanted to see some funbags, he could have easily paid <$100 at his local strip joint for some fun.

Not that I really know anything about that, in all reality.

But I figure I'd get out my "Male Chauvenist Comment Of The Day". It's been a while since I had one of those.

$9 mill?
I sympathize with her - med bills are a lot these days

But she wasn't exactly forced into Playboy, neither, so I think that's a rather large payday. But of course we're beating dead horses here, aren't we.

I wonder, really, if this lady had anything worth looking at

*bracingmyselfforsomeonetogetoffended*
"funbags"?

strip clubs?

Playboy?

"worth looking at"?

your immature ramblings about breasts have no relevance and no place in this thread.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Very good - that was the theme of the post.

I suppose it would be more mature of me to take "serious" a stance about making an issue about something no one here knows about. But I decided not to.

I still think some people *want* to get offended about things. Why not submit an easy target once in a while?

===

Just so everyone still remembers the rather small article:

Quote:
Bra Check Spurs Nursing Home Worker to Sue

ELIZABETHTOWN, N.Y.

A former nursing home worker has filed a $9 million federal lawsuit against an upstate county, claiming she's suffered mental anguish and needs anti-anxiety medication after being forced to prove she was wearing a bra at work.

Karen Tenney claims in the lawsuit against Essex County that a supervisor at the Horace Nye Nursing Home where she worked placed her hand on the back of Tenney's sweater to feel for a bra clasp.

When a clasp wasn't found, Tenney, a dietary aide, pulled up her sweater to show she was wearing a black sports bra. The move triggered other workers inside the dietary unit to show off the bras they were wearing.

"I feel that the actions of those involved constitute sexual harassment under federal and state law," Tenney said in court papers. "I have been constructively terminated by the actions of ... my employer and (the) failure to stop this harassment."

The undergarment check happened in April after nursing home officials received a complaint that Tenney was not wearing a bra as required by county policy.

Besides Essex County, which is in the Adirondacks, Tenney also names in her lawsuit the nursing home, county Attorney Richard Meyer and the state Civil Service Employees Union.

"We contend the suit is without merit," Meyer said.
==

Quote:
Karen Tenney claims in the lawsuit against Essex County that a supervisor at the Horace Nye Nursing Home where she worked placed her hand on the back of Tenney's sweater to feel for a bra clasp.

When a clasp wasn't found, Tenney, a dietary aide, pulled up her sweater to show she was wearing a black sports bra. The move triggered other workers inside the dietary unit to show off the bras they were wearing.

"I feel that the actions of those involved constitute sexual harassment under federal and state law," Tenney said
So...... she is upset that someone placed a hand on the back of her sweater??

Now, let's speculate about something.... I would bet that it was a woman who issued the complaint about there not being bras. It could have been a guy, but let's be sterotypical for a moment, and say it was a woman, offended about another woman not wearing a bra. And then, because of this offensive lack of bras, a bra check is conducted. Which, I would assume, is what was wanted, a feasible way to go about making sure people wear bras. Now, because something fishy happens on a bra check, lo and behold someone else is offended, and in protest, actually reveals her bra?? And then sues someone for making her reveal her bra? or.... or something? We don't even know what she is sueing for?

Does anyone know what she is sueing for?
specifically??

Really......
I don't see how you can take this seriously.
I guess I have nothing more to say in this thread. I'm kind of impressed that it's gone to 6 pages...
Old 10-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by For Honor

I still think some people *want* to get offended about things.
and i think some people actively try to offend, say by referring to breasts as "funbags."

trolling isn't looked upon favourably around here.