Bra Check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think y'all are being a bit harsh. Randhail was just having a bit of fun - along the lines of cydewaze's comment (about the kilt) or, perhaps more importantly, how absurd it is to check for bras and, alternatively, the sue-happy nature of the U.S. After all, if one can be offended by this, why can't someone sue for a person not wearing a bra? It really becomes a fine line...

MrsSpringsteen said:

when I worked in retail the dress code said something like "appropriate undergarments"

they had a real obsession w/ the female employees wearing pantyhose too, I would even catch the managers looking to see if we had them on.. a few times I even heard them asking :|

Trying to get this back on track....

I bet men are far more likely to draft a dress code that includes pantyhose. That was the thing my wife hated the most about the professional attire requirements for her job.

If you take a job, you are most likely told of a dress code early on. There may be numerous reasons for this dress code - ranging from safety to what is considered professional attire. You may not like it, but then, you knew this taking the job. If you resent it, do not accept the job.

To sue for $9M because of a bra check is asinine. If there is a complaint to be made, it should be done appropriately. I cannot accept anyone being so "humiliated" by this that it's worth $9M.

doctorwho said:
To sue for $9M because of a bra check is asinine. If there is a complaint to be made, it should be done appropriately. I cannot accept anyone being so "humiliated" by this that it's worth $9M.

It's too bad that lawyers take legitimate claims and stretch them beyond credibility with inflated damages demands.

Yes having your balls prodded to see if you are wearing underwear is the same as a bra check as it's an invasion of your personal space and privacy in the workplace not to mention degrading, doesn't seem appropriate to me.

I don't know who drafted the policy about pantyhose nbc, it came from the corporate office I would assume. Retail tends to be female dominated but most of the jerks at the corporate level are probably men :wink: Pantyhose do look more professional but to have your legs scrutinized like that to see if you're conforming is weird..so I can only imagine what a bra check feels like.

When I go into the same store now I'm shocked at what they can wear-jeans, sneakers, skimpy stuff, etc. It's not an upscale store.

There are dignified professional ways to enforce a dress code-humiliating someone like that is neither. Just take her into an office and speak to her in a professional manner about it.

Well, we really don't know the whole story here. From what I read, I received the impression that the bra-check was done by a female supervisor - and it was just a pat on the back. That alone is hardly something humiliating.

When she had to lift her shirt up, that might be a bit more annoying, but it's not like she was asked to perform a strip search. We hardly know what "lifting her shirt" is - was it to the point to prove a bra was on? If so, again, hardly humiliating.

And even if the person was a bit embarrassed, was she humiliated to the point of $9M?

We are only hearing one side of the story - which is why I defended some of randhail's light-hearted comments. At what point can we sue for being "offended" or "humiliated" or "annoyed"? What if randhail really was offended by having an overweight coworker not wear her bra at work? Could he sue for $9M? Where is the line drawn?

doctorwho said:
Well, we really don't know the whole story here. From what I read, I received the impression that the bra-check was done by a female supervisor - and it was just a pat on the back. That alone is hardly something humiliating.

When she had to lift her shirt up, that might be a bit more annoying, but it's not like she was asked to perform a strip search. We hardly know what "lifting her shirt" is - was it to the point to prove a bra was on? If so, again, hardly humiliating.

And even if the person was a bit embarrassed, was she humiliated to the point of $9M?

We are only hearing one side of the story - which is why I defended some of randhail's light-hearted comments. At what point can we sue for being "offended" or "humiliated" or "annoyed"? What if randhail really was offended by having an overweight coworker not wear her bra at work? Could he sue for $9M? Where is the line drawn?

Being grossed out by someone overweight not wearing a bra to work is far, far different than having a supervisor ask you to lift up your shirt. I don't care if it is a male or female asking you to do it - it is still degrading. How would you feel if a supervisor asked you to drop your trousers at work to make sure you were wearing underwear?

MrsSpringsteen said:
There are dignified professional ways to enforce a dress code-humiliating someone like that is neither. Just take her into an office and speak to her in a professional manner about it.

Well, if that happened, we would have this thread. :wink:

Not all managers know how to treat employees professionally and with dignity.

randhail said:
Can I sue overweight women if they don't weat bras for mental anguish and suffering?

Makes me smile, but, I guess we can't do that. It's every person's right to express how fat they want to be. But then again, if go on medication because a particular woman refused to get her obeseness out of the way, then sue her fat ass.

(taken with a does of sarcasm). But you can make a 9Mill case out of anything these days.

=========

Karen Tenney claims in the lawsuit against Essex County that a supervisor at the Horace Nye Nursing Home where she worked placed her hand on the back of Tenney's sweater to feel for a bra clasp.

When a clasp wasn't found, Tenney, a dietary aide, pulled up her sweater to show she was wearing a black sports bra. The move triggered other workers inside the dietary unit to show off the bras they were wearing.

I know it sounds bad, but.... was she forced, or asked to do it? Were the other workers forced into it?

I mean, maybe I'm missing something. It would seem odd for them to just start flashing their bras, etc. But.... was it demanded that they do it?

anitram said:
Oh yeah, appropriate bras are a must but who gives a damn about all the disgusting men who refuse to wear anti-perspirant. Ever been stuck in a confined place with one of them, your head squeezed between a wall and their armpit?

Not quite the same thing.........

but....

I still agree with you :up: :applaud: :up:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I don't know, can I sue if someone's comments cause my intelligence to drop?:|

Sure you can.

I can sue interference for getting athritis in my fingers. Probably even in my toes if I really wanted to.

Guilty until proven innocent

(edit - whoops - misquote)

Look, I'm not going to point fingers. I'll refer to a vauge person outside of this thread. And I know this is FYM, but...... I think some people just like to get angry or offended, as a way to vent emotions and such

I mean......

It's kind of like, "interpret this situation as you will". From the short article at the beginning, there were a lot of holes in the story. Of course, and undisputably so, women's rights, all rights, at work place, for all people, that is a major thing. Privacy, etc.

But....

well, I guess I'll just leave it at that and leave the thread. My most sincere apologies, Mrs. Springsteen, if it appears that all I have done was disrupt another one of your threads. That is not my intention.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

I think you're missing the point which is why a check in the first place. If you tell everyone to wear a bra, fine. If someone walks in and it's obvious someone's not, then make a complaint. Innocent until proven guilty. But you don't have to pat everyone down everyday and lift their shirt if you can't find a clasp. It's like those parents who ask their child if they made poopy in their pants and when the parent doesn't believe them they check for themselves in front of their playmates. These people are adults and need to be treated as such, not babies with diapers.

Now is it worth 9 mil, probably not, but that's mostly the lawyers fault.

For Honor said:

Sure you can.

I can sue interference for getting athritis in my fingers. Probably even in my toes if I really wanted to.

Um, no because you didn't have to be here. Completely not relevant at all.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But you don't have to pat everyone down everyday and lift their shirt if you can't find a clasp.

No one ever made them (at least as presented in the article) made them lift up their shirts. They did that on their own.

randhail said:

No one ever made them (at least as presented in the article) made them lift up their shirts. They did that on their own.

The move triggered other workers inside the dietary unit to show off the bras they were wearing.:|

Nice thread.....

In my management role at school....I am staying out of it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The move triggered other workers inside the dietary unit to show off the bras they were wearing.:|

You're point being what now? Yeah, they did that own their own and somehow this makes the lawsuit justifiable.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What the heck is triggered supposed to mean?

hahaha. That is the most non descript aspect of the story.:eyebrow:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Bra Check Spurs Nursing Home Worker to Sue

ELIZABETHTOWN, N.Y.

A former nursing home worker has filed a $9 million federal lawsuit against an upstate county, claiming she's suffered mental anguish and needs anti-anxiety medication after being forced to prove she was wearing a bra at work.

Karen Tenney claims in the lawsuit against Essex County that a supervisor at the Horace Nye Nursing Home where she worked placed her hand on the back of Tenney's sweater to feel for a bra clasp.

When a clasp wasn't found, Tenney, a dietary aide, pulled up her sweater to show she was wearing a black sports bra. The move triggered other workers inside the dietary unit to show off the bras they were wearing.

"I feel that the actions of those involved constitute sexual harassment under federal and state law," Tenney said in court papers. "I have been constructively terminated by the actions of ... my employer and (the) failure to stop this harassment."

The undergarment check happened in April after nursing home officials received a complaint that Tenney was not wearing a bra as required by county policy.

Besides Essex County, which is in the Adirondacks, Tenney also names in her lawsuit the nursing home, county Attorney Richard Meyer and the state Civil Service Employees Union.

"We contend the suit is without merit," Meyer said.

They give more description about where the location is, rather than what actually happened.

randhail said:

You're point being what now? Yeah, they did that own their own and somehow this makes the lawsuit justifiable.

How is having to show your underwear, "on their own"?

Do you want to work at a job where you have to prove you're wearing underwear everyday? What adult should put up with this?

Dreadsox said:
Nice thread.....

In my management role at school....I am staying out of it.

Because of course you'd want a bra check to make sure there is no bra. Am I right or am I right? :wink:

nbcrusader said:

I've heard this can be a problem in high school - with the students...

I would not know.....I work in an elementary school.

But I know many teachers who get upset at other teachers who show too much cleavage, or god forbid, do not wear bras that hide the headlights.

:shrug:

Since in the last ten years I have worked with only one other male...I am used to hearing women discuss these things in the teacher's room.

Bono's shades said:

Being grossed out by someone overweight not wearing a bra to work is far, far different than having a supervisor ask you to lift up your shirt. I don't care if it is a male or female asking you to do it - it is still degrading. How would you feel if a supervisor asked you to drop your trousers at work to make sure you were wearing underwear?

I'm not talking about that or being grossed out be an overweight woman. In fact, when did I or randhail say this? What if I was truly offended by a larger woman's over-ample bosom bombarding me every time she bent over? What if I felt this was sexual harrassment? Even though this woman may have felt far more comfortable not wearing a bra and was not flirting with me at all, I could interpret her actions as such. Should I then sue for $9M?

As for the underwear, if I knew a routine check was part of the job before I accepted it, or if I knew that this was the new procedure, then I'd endure it. If I didn't like it, either I'd leave the job or not accept it. Obviously the management there has reasons for having this procedure. Sadly, we don't learn of them in this story - but I doubt a "random check for bras" is for "shits and giggles". If I really didn't like this policy, I'd leave or file a claim with the appropriate services. I wouldn't rush to a lawyer to sue for $9M.

So while I empathize with the woman's plight - yes, bra-checking is a ridiculous policy - I also feel she is being equally ridiculous with this $9M lawsuit.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How is having to show your underwear, "on their own"?

Do you want to work at a job where you have to prove you're wearing underwear everyday? What adult should put up with this?

I agree with randhail here. Per the story, when ONE woman lifted her shirt to show her sports bra, all the other woman decided to lift their shirts to show off their bras too. Whether that was done to show uniformity against this ridiculous policy or to mock the one woman, we don't know. If it was done in mocking, perhaps it's relevant. If it was done to show support of the woman, then it's not. But if done in mocking, then all those coworkers should be sued too - but I doubt they are, as they don't have $9M.

Back
Top Bottom