Boy Scouts - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2002, 10:04 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:47 PM
That's stupid. Very stupid.

It's not like his being an atheist is gonna kill anyone. Why should he have to say he believes in a supreme being if he honestly doesn't. There's no law in this country that says you absolutely must believe in a supreme being.

The Boy Scouts have totally lost sight of what the organization was intended for: one of those intentions being acceptance.

It's a real shame. It really is.

Angela

Old 10-31-2002, 10:19 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Why should he have to say he believes in a supreme being if he honestly doesn't. [/i]

Angela [/B]
Ummmmm....
Because he took and oath to. Perhaps?

DB9

Old 11-01-2002, 02:20 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:

It's not like his being an atheist is gonna kill anyone. Why should he have to say he believes in a supreme being if he honestly doesn't. There's no law in this country that says you absolutely must believe in a supreme being.

The Boy Scouts have totally lost sight of what the organization was intended for: one of those intentions being acceptance.

It's a real shame. It really is.

Angela
I think that God has been the foundation of Boy Scouts since the beginning and has opened that to be interpreted as "supreme being" over time to accomodate different religions/beliefs. Here is the Boy Scout Oath:

Boy Scout Oath
On my honor, I will do my best,
to do my duty to God and my country,
to obey the Scout Law,
to help other people at all times;
to keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake and morally straight.

I agree that being an aethist isn't going to kill anyone Angela, but Diamond is right - it's part of the oath he takes in being a Boy Scout in the first place. It doesn't make sense to me that someone who so firmly doesn't believe in a supreme being could stand in all of those meetings listening to the Oath and not be agreeing with it.

My son is a boy scout and Melon - it is still an organization where one goes camping! I believe in the Boy Scout organization and while I can understand the aethist's point - it is something that he has known to be an issue since the day he joined - so to stay so long is not being true to himself.

I find the disallowing of gays to be more unfair. I don't think that gays should be banned from joining a troop. I can see potential issues though, as we don't allow girl and boy teenagers to tent together do we?

Anyhow, I really hope that those of you that don't support the Boy Scouts reconsider. I think the organization is very beneficial to boys and for the few court cases where the Scout organization seems so "wrong", there are another 930,000+ kids that are getting a great experience.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:30 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
I find the disallowing of gays to be more unfair. I don't think that gays should be banned from joining a troop. I can see potential issues though, as we don't allow girl and boy teenagers to tent together do we?
I think it is silly, partly because they do allow everyone's religious beliefs under the sun. If I sincerely thought a teacup was a god, I would be allowed in. But, on a more serious note, there are many mainstream religions that have no problem at all with homosexuality. I find that the Boy Scouts' decision to mandate that this is immoral to be unbecoming of their otherwise inclusive religious undertones.

And I find the latter part to be equally silly, just as the popular fallacy that boys and girls can't "just be friends." I find such speak to be insulting to *all* men everywhere; that we're simply just hormonal sex fiends.

Melon
Old 11-01-2002, 04:11 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

And I find the latter part to be equally silly, just as the popular fallacy that boys and girls can't "just be friends." I find such speak to be insulting to *all* men everywhere; that we're simply just hormonal sex fiends.

Melon
What I meant is that youth organizations do not allow boys and girls to sleep in the same common place. I didn't imply that boys and girls can't "just be friends" nor was I implying that men are just hormonal sex fiends. I agree that such speak is insulting.

Young girls are just as capable of discoving the joys of sex and enjoy sneaking stolen moments whenever possible. If boys and girls were allowed to camp together in organizations, then the opportunity for sneaking in stolen moments would be greater. While I don't believe that homosexuals should be banned from Boy Scouts, I see the open opportunity that is not available to hetrosexuals.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:58 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I understand he took an oath.

But maybe at the time he took the oath he wasn't nearly as secure in his atheist beliefs as he may be now. Or maybe he did believe in God at the time he took that oath, but over time his beliefs changed.

How'd the people find out that he was an atheist, anyway?

I know he took an oath, but okay, they found out he was an atheist-he's still a good person, he still did a lot of good stuff for the community and for the troop and all that...can't the people in there just let the matter drop, just leave him alone?

Angela
Old 11-01-2002, 05:02 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I understand he took an oath.

...can't the people in there just let the matter drop, just leave him alone?

Angela
No.
It creates a "slippery-slope"..

DB9
Old 11-01-2002, 05:05 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

No.
It creates a "slippery-slope"..

DB9
How would it do that?

Angela
Old 11-01-2002, 05:10 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

How would it do that?

Angela
You take an oath to believe in God..
Like he did..

The next person dosent/never believed in God but now DEMANDS to be let in because of the Athesist #1..

Do you see the pt?
Boy Scouts profess a belief in God
Its still a private instituion..
Therefore find an institution where you are comfortable, instead making an institution conform to you..
Make sense?

DB9
Old 11-01-2002, 07:06 PM   #25
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Insulting to women as well, assuming that our delicate and weak natures must be protected from the ravaging and sex-hungry impulses of all men everywhere.

Join Amnesty.