"boy meets boy" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 05-28-2003, 11:06 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:07 PM
Normal "boy meets boy"

TV's Gay "Bachelor"
Tuesday May 27 4:40 PM ET

By Julie Keller

Call it equal-opportunity humiliation potential.

The Bravo network has taken a pinch of The Bachelor, a dabble of Joe Millionaire-esque fibbing and a few lovelorn homosexuals to produce Boy Meets Boy, a new reality dating series featuring a hot single gay man looking for love.

The new show, which will bow this July, centers on one man who must find his love match from a pool of 15 fellow singletons. And to make things more interesting than, say, a Trista-Ryan cheese-fest, the network is throwing in a few straight men pretending to be gay to trip up their bachelor.

"I think this will be truly groundbreaking television," executive producer and cocreator Douglas Ross told the Hollywood Reporter. "One of the reasons we decided to take the basic dating format and throw in this twist is that we wanted the show to appeal to a broader audience."

Boy is made up of a six-episode season of one-on-one dates and contestant elimination until the pack of hunks is whittled down to one. Extra correspondent Dani Behr hosts.

So far, complete details are sketchy, but producers have let a few tidbits out of the bag. For one, the Boy in question is a 32-year-old HR exec from Southern California who recently spent nine days in Palm Springs on a whirlwind dating bonanza.

Like The Bachelor, Boy Meets Boy features group meetings and one-on-one dates designed to help its star narrow down his choices.

Bravo has not revealed the number of straight versus gay bachelors who participated (though viewers will know their orientation at the outset). Ross said he is sure viewers, both gay and straight, will be surprised by the results.

"Several of the straight men have very intense experiences," he told the trade paper. "We anticipate a lot of both gay and straight viewers will have their assumptions challenged about what it means to be gay and what it means to be straight."

One thing the network is revealing is its strict TV-intimacy credo: any sexual interaction beyond a lip lock is a strict no-no.

Though producers call Boy Meets Boy "groundbreaking" and the first prime-time dating series that is exclusively gay in scope, this isn't Bravo's first foray into gay-themed programming.

Ross earlier produced a documentary called Gay Weddings for the cable net. Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, a new series teaming fashion-conscious gay men with fashion-disaster heterosexuals, will bow in July, as well.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:54 PM   #2
Local Time: 12:07 AM

when are these stupid shows going to come to an end?

Old 05-29-2003, 12:08 AM   #3
i was hoping this would be about a reunion show for boy meets world. the homosexualized world that is!

but alas, no dice.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:14 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:07 PM
Mixing in straight guys is stupid.

I can't imagine many straight men would want to try and win a rose. There must be a cash prize if they are successful.

Ross earlier produced .., a new series teaming fashion-conscious gay men with fashion-disaster heterosexuals,
This sounds like a worth while gay-straight alliance.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:11 AM   #5
War Child
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Ross earlier produced .., a new series teaming fashion-conscious gay men with fashion-disaster heterosexuals,
Can we say stereotyping? Oy! All these stupid dating reality show fuckin things are disgusting and nauseating. I'm so sick of them!
Old 05-29-2003, 07:32 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:07 PM

someone will watch.

lots of people probably.

probably some that say they wont.
im the candyman. and the candyman is back.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:18 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:07 PM
I would watch this, my brain is turning into mush anyway.

I just have to say that I hope they come out with the lesbian version of "The Bachelorette."

Old 05-30-2003, 08:07 PM   #8
love, blood, life
Well, that's just peachy. Why don't they throw in transsexuals in the mix of "women" in these straight shows?

I find this insulting, but television has a history of being insulting to subordinate hegemonic groups anyway.

Old 05-30-2003, 08:17 PM   #9
She's the One
Originally posted by melon
Well, that's just peachy. Why don't they throw in transsexuals in the mix of "women" in these straight shows?

This would change these shows forever, most likely bringing about their end. Having straight men unknowingly getting hot for transsexuals would freak out straight guys so much that some kind of law would be passed and dating shows would be outlawed.

Which would not be a bad thing.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
A dance teacher at the place I dance had an audition for this.

I wonder if he made it.. have to ask him.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:36 PM   #11
love, blood, life
Bravo Networks, which includes Bravo and Independent Film Channel (odd or not - they are under the umbrella of Rainbow Media) has done a lot to support the Gay and Lesbian community. I applaud them for that. Even if this is not a succesful venture.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:09 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
I wonder why this is considered any more awful than all of the dumb reality tv shows?
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

Old 05-30-2003, 10:04 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
now this i will watch.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:33 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
I wonder why this is considered any more awful than all of the dumb reality tv shows?

It is going to be as equally dumb and awful as all of the other reality TV shows.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:16 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:07 PM
That's not very groundbreaking; I've seen a show like that in Sydney