Bowling for Columbine - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2003, 04:34 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Huh? There's a bank that gives you a gun for opening an account with them? Whatever is written in the constitution cannot make this picture right.
Apparently some people have a hard time reading the Constitution, though (either that or they totally skwer it to fit their purpose).

That's crazy that you can get a gun by opening a bank account.

By the way, on the subject of hunting-I agree with hiphop about it being cruel. I totally understand hunting for food purposes, that's fine, but the cruelty comes in when people hunt just so they can stick the animals' heads on their walls or make rugs out of the animals' fur. I don't agree with that at all. It's like, okay, is that rug something you absolutely HAVE to have, something you can't live without? Why do you NEED a rug made out of animal fur? Why not use faux fur?

And I could not stand having an animal's head on my wall in my home. I'd feel guilty, and I couldn't look at it-I would think looking at an animal's head and knowing the rest of it is not there would be utterly disturbing.

Angela

Old 04-28-2003, 05:01 PM   #17
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 11:19 PM
Angela: how do you feel about meat on your table?

Old 04-28-2003, 05:33 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Angela: how do you feel about meat on your table?
I don't think twice about it (not unless someone brings it up). Like I said, I'm fine with hunting for food purposes-I eat meat often myself.

It's just when you have animal heads on your wall-it's like they're just staring you down...and that's just...no. At least when you have a piece of deer meat or whatever on your plate there's not eyes that are looking at you and making you feel weird.

Angela
Old 04-29-2003, 08:18 AM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

I've not read any of Moore's books, does anyone know if they're worth reading?
Fizz,

I thought "Stupid White Men" was excellent. Moore really bashes Washington politics, both Republican and Democrat. He made some really valid points IMO.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:36 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Thanks Scarletwine. I'll check my local library for that one.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:40 PM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 03:19 PM
The best part that I saw was when he was interviewing Marilyn Manson. He hit the hammer on the head.

Moore: "If you could say anything to the children at Columbine what would it be?"

Manson: "I wouldn't say anything. I'd listen to them. And that's what no one did."

Props to Manson. Probably the most attacked celebrity of our time and one of the best at responding to it...

Great movie.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:19 PM
My wife and I watched it last weekend together.

We did think that bits and pieces were well done. I do feel that the Constitution has nothing to do with the number of deaths by guns in the US. I agree it is absolutley insane that we have so many, and the one thing I would say is that Moore did an excellent job making the case that the number of Guns in the US is not the issue.

Please, keep in mind that the banks handing out guns in the US are not an every day occurence here in the states.

I did not like the cartoon portion of it, I felt it was twisted history, or at least one sided. I also felt there we a few innacurate facts, but I am too sleep deprived to remember what they were.

All in all I would recommend the movie to anyone.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:42 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:19 PM
I also felt he was sloppy with his numbers.

I am not surprised you disagree with the cartoon.

We all have our personal life experiences, and live in different enviroments that we draw on to form our opinions.

I thought the cartoon was great. In the sixties my father took me to a sporting goods store where he bought some guns.

He and a lot of our neighbors bought these guns because we could see the smoke from the Watts riots. We wanted to be ready in case "those people" came to our neighborhood.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:50 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Idaho
The best part that I saw was when he was interviewing Marilyn Manson. He hit the hammer on the head.

Moore: "If you could say anything to the children at Columbine what would it be?"

Manson: "I wouldn't say anything. I'd listen to them. And that's what no one did."

Props to Manson. Probably the most attacked celebrity of our time and one of the best at responding to it...

Great movie.
Wow. Well said, Manson!

He's so right. I remember hearing the parents of the kids, when interviewed, saying, "Oh, we had no idea he was having problems. We gave him everything he ever wanted, we had no idea". Yeah, that's 'cause you didn't give them love and attention. Duh.

I'd also like to know what lessons the parents were teaching the children who made fun of those kids who shot them. Where did those kids get the idea that it was okay to make fun of someone like that? No, that doesn't excuse what the two boys did-they certainly didn't need to go as far as they did and kill innocent people in the process, but is it any wonder that they were depressed?

Marilyn Manson's a smart man. I thought the backlash against him after Columbine was ridiculous.

Angela