Bowling For Columbine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparkysgrrrl

War Child
Michael Moore's new movie that is.
Has anyone seen it?
A few ppl have told me that is really eye opening and amazing.

The Official website for the movie is here:

And he sent out a mail to his list this morning saying it's broken box office records for a documentary!
These are the cities it is currently playing in, I'm going to see it this afternoon, and I would love to hear other comments on what is brought up in the film.
And - Is anyone who is not a fan of him, or his beliefs planning on seeing it, just to get an idea of what the "other half" is thinking? I'd like to hear those comments as well :)

NEW YORK CITY AREA
Lincoln Plaza Cinemas - Manhattan
Landmark Sunshine Cinemas - Manhattan
Loews 19th St. Theater - Manhattan
Jaco Bam Rose 4 - Brooklyn, NY
Roosevelt Raceway 10 - Westbury NY
Nam Island 16 - Holtsville NY
Nam Sawmill 10 - Hawthorne NY
Fine Arts - Scarsdale NY
Jacob Burns Film Center - Pleasantville NY
Jaco Bethel - Bethel CT
Garden 3 - Norwalk CT
Montgomery Center - Rocky Hill NJ

LOS ANGELES AREA
Regent - Westwood CA
Laemmle Sunset 5 - Los Angeles CA
Laemmle Town Center - Encino CA
Landmark Rialto South - Pasedena CA
Regal Edwards University ? Irvine CA
Laemmle Westlake Village 2 ? Westlake Village CA
ESP Los Feliz 3 - Los Angeles CA
AMC Rolling Hill - Torrance CA
AMC Media Center 8 - Burbank CA
AMC Promenade 16 - Woodland Hills CA
Westlake Village 2 - Westlake Village CA

CHICAGO
Pipers Alley 4 - Chicago IL
Century Cinearts 6 - Evanston IL
Landmark Renaissance Place - Highland Park IL

PHILADELPHIA
Ritz at the Bourse - Philadelphia PA
Ritz 6 - Voorhees NJ

SAN FRANCISCO
Landmark Embarcadero 5 - San Francisco
Landmark Aquarius 2 - Palo Alto CA
Camera One - San Jose CA
Landmark Piedmont 3 - Oakland CA
Landmark Act 1 & 2 - Berkeley CA
Century Arts Sequoia 2 - Mill Valley CA

BOSTON
Copley Place Cinemas 11 - Boston MA
Landmark Kendall Square - Cambridge MA
Landmark Embassy 6 - Waltham MA
Coolidge Corner Theater - Brookline MA

WASHINGTON DC
DuPont Circle 5 - Washington DC
Shirlington 7 - Arlington VA
Bethesda Row Cinema 8 - Bethesda MD

SEATTLE
Landmark Egyptian - Seattle WA

SAN DIEGO
Landmark Hillcrest Cinema 5 - San Diego CA

I'm eager to see it, but living in Oklahoma means that I'll most likely have to wait for the video. Let's hope the AMC "indie" theatre picks it up

*flops down next to Danospano and waits*

I rarely watch movies, but I'm looking forward to this one.

I will likely end up analyzing it. Should be an interesting study on the nature of modern documentary; whether it is delves in realism or formalism more...

Melon

I live in the sticks so I probably won't get to see it until it comes out on video. I'd really like to see it though. I came across "Roger and Me" on the IFC channel the other day while I was channel surfing. The first half hour or so was already over, but it was so intriguing I watched the rest anyway.

Last edited:
I saw it the Saturday it opened in conservative Orange County, CA.

It was sold out.

I enjoyed it a lot. The animation (a la South Park) was hilarious.

The NRA is exposed for their wacko beliefs.

Moore is not as brutal to C. Heston as I was afraid he would be. (Thank goodness).

He asks a lot of good questions. However, there are some distortions.

I still give it 41/2 out of 5 lemons.

I'm a huge fan of micheal moore, I hope I can get to se eit

I can't believe there's actually a bank in america that gives away a rifle when you open up an account?!?!?!

in the preview Moore said, "you know, something doesn't seem sfae about handing out a rifle in a bank"

I saw the premiere of this movie at the Toronto International Film Festival, and Michael Moore was there doing a Q&A and introducing the film. He got a huge standing ovation. What amazed me is how much he knows about Canadian politics, but that's another matter...

I loved the movie, it was alternately hilarious and scary.

I find it interesting that they were pointing out how the NRA tastelessly holds these rallies right after various shooting tradgedies, (Columbine being one) and then the other day in the paper, right in the middle of the sniper tradgedy, there is a huge pic of Charlton Heston doing yet ANOTHER rally with his gun held aloft, saying "out of my cold dead hands". This was a Republican rally of some sort and in VERY poor taste imho.

:tsk:

Actually, might as well post that article while I'm at it (from Toronto Star):

MANCHESTER, N.H. ? Charlton Heston's voice is softer than when he bellowed as Moses, his body more frail than when he commandeered a chariot as Ben-Hur.

He shuffles stiffly now across a room, his upper body angled forward. He leans on a lectern because standing up tires him out. It takes prodding from a colleague for Heston, 79, to raise a flintlock over his head in his signature pose and challenge his critics to pry the rifle "from my cold dead hands."

Still, the gesture brings whoops and yelps at a campaign rally here from the party faithful, the party being the National Rifle Association. Heston became its president in 1998, a figure of epic if celluloid stature who bridged the rift between divisive factions and propelled the gun lobby into the top echelons of populist U.S. crusades.

His appearance here Monday for Republican candidates marks the beginning of his final campaign, one that will take him to tight races in several battleground states leading up to the Nov. 5 elections for the House of Representatives and Senate.

It is a victory lap of sorts for Heston, who announced in August that he had symptoms consistent with those of Alzheimer's disease. He is so dedicated to the cause of gun ownership that skipping one more chance to influence an election is not an option.

In an interview, Heston said the disease had not yet affected him. "I don't feel anything," he asserted.

"I know that sooner or later I'll feel something, but not now." He stared at his interviewer, his lips locked, his blue eyes searching as if to see if he is believed.

Those close to him cannot help but acknowledge he is, at last, on his way down the mountain, diminished in faculty though still courtly in manner. During the interview, Heston repeated himself, saying several times, for example, how thrilled he is when strangers tell him they have named their sons after him.

He considered what had made him an effective voice for gun owners. "People respond to listening to me, but that doesn't mean that I'm really a remarkable person; it means that I'm an actor," he said. "I think it has more to do with what it's about, which is fighting for freedom."

Heston's final farewell will come next spring in Orlando, when he steps down as president of the rifle association.

The rally part of Monday's rally is left to others. Wayne LaPierre, the rifle association's executive director, and Chris Cox, its chief lobbyist, whip the 750 pro-gun advocates in a ballroom here into a frenzy with jabs at Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Charles Schumer, both Democrats from New York and now the gun lobby's favourite liberal punching bags.

At one point, LaPierre leans into the microphone: "C.H.," he says, "we want to hear from you those five words that have come to be your signature." Unsteadily at first, Heston raises the flintlock with one hand, then pushes it up with both. "Do it Chuck!" the audience yells. "From my cold dead hands," he says, his voice drowned out by cheers.

Outside, gun-control advocates are holding a candlelight vigil for all victims of gun violence, particularly those of Washington sniper.

Last edited:
I think the NRA has to hold these rallies in response to anti-gun advocates using these tragedies to further their cause, which I find to be just as disgusting.

Yin and yang, baby.

Moore was great on Donahue last night. I like this serious side of him. Anybody catch it?

Yeah, FINALLY
It was originally supposed to air last week and kept getting bumped because of the sniper shit

Twas good, just wish they didn't have the break to commercial everytime the conversations got started

I'm not saying they don't have the right to hold rallies, but I think that holding an anti-gun rally follwing a gun tradgedy is a lot easier to stomach than a pro-gun rally, I think that's just a slap in the face to the families of the victims.

garibaldo said:
I think the NRA has to hold these rallies in response to anti-gun advocates using these tragedies to further their cause, which I find to be just as disgusting.

Yin and yang, baby.

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
Moore was great on Donahue last night. I like this serious side of him. Anybody catch it?

I caught the last half of it. Very impressive for the most part. I will definitely be seeing the film when I get the opportunity. I especially liked how he told that Canadian woman that for the most part, Americans are generous, caring, compassioante people on an individual basis, but when you get us all together and especially when you send us to the polls, fear and greed take over--thus our politicians don't really reflect how many of the citizens feel. Like he said, you'll never hear a politician advocate locking up fewer criminals.

saw it. thought it was a good movie aside from his distortion of data to support his argument. but overall, good flick. I especially liked him walking around canada opening front doors and some of the scenes from Detroit. I actually live about a mile away from that crappy looking KMart headquarters.

Mrs. Edge said:
I'm not saying they don't have the right to hold rallies, but I think that holding an anti-gun rally follwing a gun tradgedy is a lot easier to stomach than a pro-gun rally, I think that's just a slap in the face to the families of the victims.

I think you're assuming that they associate the deaths of their loved ones with the existence or presence of guns. There's no reason to believe that they aren't focusing their anger on the suspects (the root cause) rather than the means.

I just saw it. Really fascinating! The whole "fear and consumption" thing seems the big problem. I just told an ADL security salesman that no, I did not want their free alarm system for my home, and he seemed so confused I would turn him down...though I don't think I could keep my doors unlocked.

Moore did accomplish one thing at least, with KMart, but I won't give that away if you haven't seen it yet. Pretty cool!

Some parts were funny, some just sickening. What a place, America!

Oh, melon, I thought of you 'cause he kept mentioning being from Michigan...and hi, everyone, it's been a while.

Last edited:
I just saw it tonight, and I thought it was excellent. I definitely recommend it to everyone. The film is very eye-opening and poignant but is still able to be funny. The theory that there are so many murders in the US because we have so much more fear than people in other countries was very interesting, not to mention the fact that Marilyn Manson basically laid out that argument- I find him to be very intelligent and insightful. (And the cartoon that showed a brief history of the US was hilarious and so true.)

There's also a sequence that lays out foreign policy decisions the US has made over the last 50 years or so and the results of that which really blew me away. I think every American should watch it to see what their government's been up to. (Not that people from other countries shouldn't watch it! :))

Last edited:
I saw him on Oprah; his movie made a big impression on her. It looks interesting, if I get a chance I'll probably see it. It makes me sick how many deaths we have by firearms compared to other countries. :down:

Saw it today - the usual Michael Moore documentary. I thought it was brilliant. The theatre in Toronto was on its feet, clapping at the end. Extremely positive reviews, even if some of the Canadian stuff was over the top.

Back
Top Bottom