Bowling For Columbine - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2002, 07:56 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Moore was great on Donahue last night. I like this serious side of him. Anybody catch it?

Old 10-29-2002, 07:58 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Yeah, FINALLY
It was originally supposed to air last week and kept getting bumped because of the sniper shit

Twas good, just wish they didn't have the break to commercial everytime the conversations got started

Old 10-29-2002, 08:36 PM   #18
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Normal

I'm not saying they don't have the right to hold rallies, but I think that holding an anti-gun rally follwing a gun tradgedy is a lot easier to stomach than a pro-gun rally, I think that's just a slap in the face to the families of the victims.

Quote:
Originally posted by garibaldo
I think the NRA has to hold these rallies in response to anti-gun advocates using these tragedies to further their cause, which I find to be just as disgusting.

Yin and yang, baby.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:47 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

I think we should wean Michael Moore off all those "Twinkies"

DB9
Old 10-29-2002, 11:31 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Moore was great on Donahue last night. I like this serious side of him. Anybody catch it?
I caught the last half of it. Very impressive for the most part. I will definitely be seeing the film when I get the opportunity. I especially liked how he told that Canadian woman that for the most part, Americans are generous, caring, compassioante people on an individual basis, but when you get us all together and especially when you send us to the polls, fear and greed take over--thus our politicians don't really reflect how many of the citizens feel. Like he said, you'll never hear a politician advocate locking up fewer criminals.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:46 AM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:16 AM
saw it. thought it was a good movie aside from his distortion of data to support his argument. but overall, good flick. I especially liked him walking around canada opening front doors and some of the scenes from Detroit. I actually live about a mile away from that crappy looking KMart headquarters.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:58 PM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge
I'm not saying they don't have the right to hold rallies, but I think that holding an anti-gun rally follwing a gun tradgedy is a lot easier to stomach than a pro-gun rally, I think that's just a slap in the face to the families of the victims.

I think you're assuming that they associate the deaths of their loved ones with the existence or presence of guns. There's no reason to believe that they aren't focusing their anger on the suspects (the root cause) rather than the means.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:13 PM   #23
Refugee

I just saw it. Really fascinating! The whole "fear and consumption" thing seems the big problem. I just told an ADL security salesman that no, I did not want their free alarm system for my home, and he seemed so confused I would turn him down...though I don't think I could keep my doors unlocked.

Moore did accomplish one thing at least, with KMart, but I won't give that away if you haven't seen it yet. Pretty cool!

Some parts were funny, some just sickening. What a place, America!

Oh, melon, I thought of you 'cause he kept mentioning being from Michigan...and hi, everyone, it's been a while.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:35 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I just saw it tonight, and I thought it was excellent. I definitely recommend it to everyone. The film is very eye-opening and poignant but is still able to be funny. The theory that there are so many murders in the US because we have so much more fear than people in other countries was very interesting, not to mention the fact that Marilyn Manson basically laid out that argument- I find him to be very intelligent and insightful. (And the cartoon that showed a brief history of the US was hilarious and so true.)

There's also a sequence that lays out foreign policy decisions the US has made over the last 50 years or so and the results of that which really blew me away. I think every American should watch it to see what their government's been up to. (Not that people from other countries shouldn't watch it! )
Old 11-04-2002, 09:10 AM   #25
She's the One

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
his distortion of data
Please elaborate.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:45 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:16 AM
I saw him on Oprah; his movie made a big impression on her. It looks interesting, if I get a chance I'll probably see it. It makes me sick how many deaths we have by firearms compared to other countries.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:10 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:16 AM
Saw it today - the usual Michael Moore documentary. I thought it was brilliant. The theatre in Toronto was on its feet, clapping at the end. Extremely positive reviews, even if some of the Canadian stuff was over the top.