Bounce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw that, I was very happily surprised when I saw it, but let's be realistic, that can't be correct. I think Bush is up by about 5 points, thats the # I have seen and heard most.

What the GOP has to do is just downplay the bounce and keep doing what they are doing. They can't think this thing is over, by any means.

Someone sent me that TIME poll in an e-mail yesterday. They did that during the Convention, before Bush's speech. I don't know what to think. Other polls, like Rasmussen, Zogby and others have closer numbers, four and two point leads for Bush, respectively, from Rasmussen and Zogby. However, they haven't reflected any possible post-convention bounces I don't think. I agree with Sting, let's see what Gallup says. Not exactly wonderful news for a Kerry supporter, but it's life.

I read an article on Gallups' site yesterday about post-convention bounces. I think it was the Gallups site, anyway.:wink: It could have been Zogby, sometimes my memory screws me. Anyway, it described a bounce as something with a beginning and an end. But this is a very positive development for Bush, and I'm sure they're happy and these are tough days for Kerry, to say the least. If the voters are giving Bush a 55% job approval rating, that's bad news for the Dems as well. But I think it's a bit early for us to completely throw in the towel and raise a white flag or whatever. :wink: This game ain't over.

some here may want to start ducking for cover if this trend continues.....

NEWSWEEK POLL: REPUBLICAN CONVENTION 2004

Bush/Cheney Lead Kerry/Edwards 54 to 43 Percent; in a Three-Way Trial Heat,
Bush/Cheney Receive 13-Point Margin Bounce

Bush Approval Rating Rises to 52 Percent; First Time Above 50 Since January;
Majority (53%) Wants to See Him Re-Elected-Highest Since May 2003

It's way too early at this point. I'm not taking polls seriously until october, and the polls i'm taking most seriously will be occuring on Nov. 2nd. I mean come on...Kerry was behind AL SHARPTON in polls during the primaries..................

But Al Sharpton and Howard Dean are shall we say a little "easier" to defeat than Bush, Kerry was in by default.

A_Wanderer said:
But Al Sharpton and Howard Dean are shall we say a little "easier" to defeat than Bush, Kerry was in by default.

This is true, i'm just saying that if he could come back from being 20-30 points behind in 1 day who knows what he can do when he's down.

Still waiting for the CNN/USA TODAY/GALLUP poll in order to determine what the results of the convention are. Its still a long way to go, but there are no multi-media events that are the same in impact as the conventions. The debates are important, but the other guy is there to rebut everything your candidate says so it doesn't have the impact of the multi-night convention which is a one sided selling of the party's candidate.

True, Sting. A convention is like an "info-mercial"; the debates are not. What the debates do do is give the candidates a chance to differentiate themselves, explain something of their position on the issues, and then voters decide what they like and don't like about what they hear. It'd be crazy to conclude they don't have any impact. Quite often throughout the history of presidential politics they've made an impact of some sort. Kerry has come back before, but he's never run against Karl Rove. My favorite blogger likes to say "don't panic" but that's a tall order right now.

Last edited:
I guess the classic example of debates influencing an election being the Nixon / Kennedy Great Debates of 1960.

Last edited:
Yeah, A_Wanderer, but actually not the only case. In 1980 Jimmy Carter was leading in the polls, and then he and Reagan had one debate. There was alot of sparring between the candidates over debates that year, with Carter never really wanting to leave the Rose Garden. They had the debate and alot of people changed their minds about Reagan. Reagan carried 45 states in the election. In 1976 Gerald Ford made a big mistake in one of the debates and claimed that Poland wasn't under Soviet domination, when, in fact, it was behind the Iron Curtain. This upset alot of people. Three presidential debates are scheduled for this year. We'll just see what happens. I'm trying to keep a sense of humor about the whole thing and say I feel like Don Quixote, which actually is nothing new for me. It happens every four years. :lmao: :lmao:

Last edited:
I think the impact the debates has decreased since cable TV came around with now 3 24 hour news networks and 3 different C-SPAN channels. Prior to this, you only got a bit of news on one of the three major networks. The same might be said for the conventions as well. There are so many other ways for a political party to get its word out today compared to 1980. Obviously, the internet is huge!

I agree, Sting, especially about the Internet. There's no way to calculate the impact of the Internet on elections, except to say it's huge. You've got everything from blogs, on-line fundraising, Internet news reports, political sites of all descriptions, the list goes on and on.

Back
Top Bottom