bottled water ... bad for the earth? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 02-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:46 PM
I buy diet cokes and diet root beers or diet dr peppers when they are $1.50 a six pack
that is 25 cents for a 12 ounce aluminum can.

a $2.00 bottle of *special* water is most likely a better value
and I am in strong support of their manufacture? and sales.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #17
Local Time: 05:46 PM

Originally posted by deep
I buy diet cokes and diet root beers or diet dr peppers when they are $1.50 a six pack
that is 25 cents for a 12 ounce aluminum can.
I get a case of 35 bottles of water at Costco for about 12 cents a bottle. Our local tap water tastes nasty; it's hard water, plus they dump a bunch of chemicals (chlorine, ammonia, heaven knows what else) in it to "clean" it. Oh, and don't forget the "fluoride". I wish I didn't have to buy bottled water, but until I move someplace where the tap water is actually drinkable, I have no choice.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:46 AM
My sister just got back from spending three weeks in India. She drank bottled water the whole time she was there. She didn't want to drink the tap water.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #19

Originally posted by financeguy
Drink beer
Yeah, one could buy it in a wooden barrel, put a spigot and drink away.....then when it's empty turn it into an end table..................of course, after a while there would be many end tables around......but then one could start a new business venture.......barrels-to-go..........

Sorry....wizard got carried away by the wooden barrels in The Hobbit..
Old 02-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict
Originally posted by verte76
My sister just got back from spending three weeks in India. She drank bottled water the whole time she was there. She didn't want to drink the tap water.
That makes sense for any traveler. Fresh drinking water in India is a huge challenge for the people of India, especially the 250 million dalits.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #21
Other than travel, generally speaking, the bottled water craze is like selling eskimos ice.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 09:46 PM
Heh, Irvine, I know very little about Brita filters, although I did own one at one point.

I wonder how much of this bottled water mania coincided with the "you MUST drink 8 glasses of water a day or face certain death!!!" mentality. (BTW, it's bullshit) In the last decade or so, suddenly everyone started bringing bottled water with them to work, to college lectures, school, etc.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:01 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:46 AM
Originally posted by nbcrusader

even though all our tap water is safe to drink

Marketing campaigns using subtle fear of impurities in tap water have been very successful.
Well, i got a upset stomach of the tapwater in Dallas and it smells like a public swimmingpool, i was happy with my bottled water.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #24
New Yorker
I shudder to think how much I spend on bottled water. Frankly, it's convinent for me. It's not that I fear impurities. I'm thirsty, there's a machine, in goes my dollar. The big trend here is to carry around a hiking bottle, but I just know I will spill it or leave it somewhere...I have no interest in lugging around this massive, icy plastic jug. I vastly prefer the Vitamin Water, but it's such a pain to get.

I do make a point of recycling the bottles, even if I have to bring them home.

I think the weirdest water story I have was when I was in New Orleans (pre-flood, obviously) on route to and from Florida in a motorhome. We had drank bottled water the entire trip because we couldn't stand the water anywhere. We get to Louisiana and wow, the water was great! Tasted just like home! We filled the water tank and kept on going. When we got home and drained it, it was full of swampy silt and god knows what else. None of us got sick, but it makes me wonder what the heck is in Colorado water that they tasted so wonderfully similar...
Old 02-11-2006, 01:50 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:46 AM
We´re getting our water directly from the Alps and its fresh

Not as fresh as on top of the mountain.

Oh luxury!