Borat is getting sued..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should Borat have to pay damages for misleading and duping unsuspecting people ?

• Yes

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 58 71.6%
  • Yes in the case of the villagers, No for the American participants

Votes: 14 17.3%

• Total voters
Butterscotch said:

It's not humorous to use and mislead people that way. There IS something they can do, they can sue and/or have their parts deleted from the movie.

This movie has made over 16 mil and counting..

That's a lot of people. When a movie has made that much and that many people have seen it, does it really matter now?

'Borat' Suit Says Villagers Were Misled

By LARRY NEUMEISTER
Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Residents of a remote Romanian village filed a $30 million lawsuit Monday over their depiction in the hit movie "Borat," accusing the filmmakers of misleading them into thinking the project was a documentary about poverty.

The lawsuit was filed in federal court in Manhattan on behalf of Nicolae Todorache and Spiridom Ciorebea, two residents of Glod, Romania, where residents were used as stand-ins for Kazakhs in the film.

The plaintiffs alleged that 20th Century Fox Film Corp. and others involved in the comedy exploited them, telling them the movie was a documentary about extreme poverty in Romania that would fairly depict their lives, occupations, heritage and beliefs.

"Nothing could have been further from the truth," the lawsuit said. "The project was intended to portray the plaintiffs ... and other villagers as rapists, abortionists, prostitutes, thieves, racists, bigots, simpletons and/or boors."

In the movie, comedian Sacha Baron Cohen portrays a Kazakh journalist traveling across America in comic encounters that mock Americans. The film's opening sequence showing Borat's hometown in Kazakhstan is shot in Glod, 85 miles northwest of Bucharest.

Gregg Brilliant, a spokesman for 20th Century Fox, "Borat's" distributor, said the movie "was never presented to anyone in Romania as a documentary."

He said village residents were paid above the usual rate and mixed with professional actors and others to portray a fictional village. He said there was irony in the allegations in the lawsuit.

"It's a film that uses satire to expose racism and bigotry," he said.

The movie has been a surprise hit at the box office, earning more than $90 million so far in the United States.

People in the former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan also have complained about their depiction in the film.

In addition, two members of a South Carolina college fraternity have sued 20th Century Fox and three production companies over their appearance in the movie making drunken, insulting comments about women and minorities.

They say the crew got them drunk in a bar before filming and told them the movie would not be shown in the United States.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights

diamond said:
'Borat' Suit Says Villagers Were Misled

The plaintiffs alleged that 20th Century Fox Film Corp. and others involved in the comedy exploited them, telling them the movie was a documentary about extreme poverty in Romania that would fairly depict their lives, occupations, heritage and beliefs.

To be fair, this allegation does give me pause. I know these villagers are not exactly highly educated, but right about the time they start telling you to let the animal poop or piss in your house, and so on, wouldn't that make you question what this has do with documenting their "real" lives, occupations, heritage, and beliefs.

For the first time, I see how the argument could be made that this is just an attempt to get a bigger piece of the Borat pie.

I still tend to feel that what Cohen did was unethical, I still feel there was definitely an strong element of manipulation, but now I'm not so certain that the villagers are completely innocent.

maycocksean,

i post all sides of an argument to show balance thereby letting ppl like you make a fully informed and educated judgement.

dbs

diamond said:
maycocksean,

i post all sides of an argument to show balance thereby letting ppl like you make a fully informed and educated judgement.

dbs

Much obliged.

tpsreports2424 said:

This movie has made over 16 mil and counting..

That's a lot of people. When a movie has made that much and that many people have seen it, does it really matter now?

It would matter to me. At least everyone would know I didn't approve and was misled. It may even keep the scenes featuring sueing individuals off the DVD release.

By the way though, I don't think I would have fallen for it and would have seen through his scheme all along. :wink:

Hilarious flick :up:

The South Carolina fucktards ought to be thrown out of court, and then maybe down a well for good measure. :wink: While I was watching the scene, all I could think was "if I were anywhere in earshot of these shitsmears I'd punch them in the teeth." Not only were they racist, sexist, and homophobic, but they also had approximately six brain cells between the three of them. :huh:

While I think that perhaps it might have been a little shady for SBC (and the production company - remember it was probably the company that actually dealt with legal issues involving the villagers and not SBC himself), I don't think the villagers have a hope in hell of seeing a penny from this suit.

They signed a waiver, and that's that. See you later!

Although it might be nice for SBC to divert at least some of the profits from the film to the town.

I also find it ironic that Borat is extremely racist towards gypsies in the film, but the village they used as his hometown is actually a gypsy village.

Back
Top Bottom