Borat is getting sued.. - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Should Borat have to pay damages for misleading and duping unsuspecting people ?
Yes 9 11.11%
No 58 71.60%
Yes in the case of the villagers, No for the American participants 14 17.28%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #91
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Your "perception" of people makes me laugh.
^Case in point.

dbs

Old 11-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #92
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:37 AM

Old 11-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #93
War Child

Local Time: 01:37 PM
When you really look at it, anyone in a movie deserves to be fairly compensated for their screen time. He took advantage of all those people and lied to them. If they had known he was a fraud and all of his gags were setups they would not likely have consented. Would any other movie maker do that? Even people on Candid Camera or Punk'd are told they were fooled and agree to being broadcasted anyway. These people didn't get that chance. That's why it's wrong.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:07 PM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
When you really look at it, anyone in a movie deserves to be fairly compensated for their screen time. He took advantage of all those people and lied to them. If they had known he was a fraud and all of his gags were setups they would not likely have consented. Would any other movie maker do that?
Agreed.
I do think some Americans would do anything for money more so than the uninformed and lesser educated Romanians though.

dbs
Old 11-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #95
Bug
War Child

Those villagers should have been payed much more, told what was going to happen and given a chance to decline.

Damn if you were one of them you'd be pissed to.
What he did is just wrong, and I usually find this kinda of movie funny but not when people are brutally taken advantage of.

The fratboys are just dumbasses though, simple as that.
They're pissed because now people know what they're like.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bug
Those villagers should have been payed much more, told what was going to happen and given a chance to decline.

Damn if you were one of them you'd be pissed to.
What he did is just wrong, and I usually find this kinda of movie funny but not when people are brutally taken advantage of.

The fratboys are just dumbasses though, simple as that.
They're pissed because now people know what they're like.
Kaching, we have another fair minded person in FYM.
I agree with you Bug.

dbs
Old 11-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

i like how the results of the poll are changing the more people read up on this.

dbs
Old 11-17-2006, 11:19 AM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Poor Mr Borat makes his point well however he did not nor can not defend his character (no pun) on how he duped and misled the Romanian characters.

His silence in addressing that issue is quite deafening.

Interesting read:

Baron Cohen comes out of character to defend Borat
By Arifa Akbar
Published: 17 November 2006
He is a comedian whose alter ego - a racist, sexist homophobe - has delighted many, appalled some and is selling out cinemas across Britain and America.

Now, after staying resolutely in boorish persona during previous interviews, Sacha Baron Cohen has spoken in depth about his motives in creating his comical anti-hero Borat. The journalist from Kazakhstan who sings anti-Semitic songs and refers to women as prostitutes was created "as a tool" to expose people's prejudices, he said.

The 35-year-old Jewish comedian from London has maintained a long silence over the controversy raised by Borat, whose extreme anti-Semitic remarks have earned censure both from the Kazakh government and from the Jewish community.

In one sketch from Baron Cohen's film Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, which premiered this month in London, Borat performs a song called "Throw the Jew Down the Well" in a country and western bar in Arizona.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, the comedian revealed he was a devout Jew, observing Sabbath and eating kosher foods, and he referred to the singing scene to defend his inflammatory comedy.

"Borat essentially works as a tool. By himself being anti-Semitic, he lets people lower their guard and expose their own prejudices, whether it's anti-Semitism or an acceptance of anti-Semitism. 'Throw the Jew Down the Well' was a very controversial sketch, and some members of the Jewish community thought it was actually going to encourage anti-Semitism.

"But to me it revealed something about that bar in Tuscon. And the question is: did it reveal that they were anti-Semitic? Perhaps. But maybe it just revealed that they were indifferent to anti-Semitism," he said.

Baron Cohen said the concept of "indifference towards anti-Semitism" had been informed by his study of the Holocaust while at Cambridge University, where he read history. "I remember, when I was in university, and there was this one major historian of the Third Reich, Ian Kershaw. And his quote was, 'The path to Auschwitz was paved with indifference.'

"I know it's not very funny being a comedian talking about the Holocaust, but I think it's an interesting idea that not everyone in Germany had to be a raving anti-Semite. They just had to be apathetic," he said.

He also talked of his astonishment at hearing that the Kazakh government was thinking of suing him over the offence caused by his comic alter ego, and stressed that the "joke is not on Kazakhstan".

"I was surprised, because I always had faith in the audience that they would realise that this was a fictitious country and the mere purpose of it was to allow people to bring out their own prejudices. And the reason we chose Kazakhstan was because it was a country that no one had heard anything about, so we could essentially play on stereotypes they might have about this ex-Soviet backwater. The joke is not on Kazakhstan. I think the joke is on people who can believe that the Kazakhstan that I describe can exist - who believe that there's a country where homosexuals wear blue hats and the women live in cages and they drink fermented horse urine and the age of consent has been raised to nine years old...

"I've been in a bizarre situation, where a country has declared me as its number one enemy. It's inherently a comic situation," he said.

While Borat has drawn much criticism from Kazakh ministers - the government took out a full page ad in The New York Times to promote their country at one stage - Erlan Idrissov, the Kazakhstan ambassador to Britain, admitted to finding some humour in the film.

Baron Cohen, who was born in Hammersmith to an affluent Orthodox Jewish family, is the second of three sons. He went to an independent school in Elstree, and Christ's College, Cambridge, and worked for the investment bank Goldman Sachs before starting his career in television.

He is a comedian whose alter ego - a racist, sexist homophobe - has delighted many, appalled some and is selling out cinemas across Britain and America.

Now, after staying resolutely in boorish persona during previous interviews, Sacha Baron Cohen has spoken in depth about his motives in creating his comical anti-hero Borat
Old 11-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:37 AM
To be frank, the legality of what Cohen did is irrelevant to me.

He might be legally clear, but it just seems wrong to take advantage of the poor the way that he did.

Like diamond, I don't have much sympathy for the frat boys. The issue with them is different. They were, perhaps, tricked into revealing their "true views" and are embarassed about that, but that is not at all the same as what happened to these villagers.

I'm not saying the villagers are saints or anything, I just really feel it's wrong to use and manipulate them in the way that he did.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

I just really feel it's wrong to use and manipulate them in the way that he did.
I understand what you're saying, but as far as the civil suits are concerned, of course it matters whether or not the waivers were valid, etc.

It may be morally wrong to manipulate people that way. But our courts should not be the arbiters of morality, and so insofar as their case is concerned, what difference does it make whether what he did is mean/wrong/inherently immoral/etc?
Old 11-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #101
War Child

Local Time: 01:37 PM
If he told them when they signed that it was for a documentary in his country when it was actually a large scale release movie for profit in the US, he misled them and I think they have a case.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #102
Refugee

Local Time: 03:37 PM
I am really looking forward to see his new movie,
Old 11-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #103
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

He might be legally clear, but it just seems wrong to take advantage of the poor the way that he did.

Like diamond, I don't have much sympathy for the frat boys. The issue with them is different. They were, perhaps, tricked into revealing their "true views" and are embarassed about that, but that is not at all the same as what happened to these villagers.

I'm not saying the villagers are saints or anything, I just really feel it's wrong to use and manipulate them in the way that he did.

Kaching for maycocksean.

While some of our liberal friends continue to stick the legalities and legalese of the case etc etc etc ad hominem slaying me with the most insipid predictable posts.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:25 AM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
Get over it. It's fiction. I don't care if you are poor uni-armed; grasp fiction. No one actually thinks those people are like that, and the people of the village need to stop throwing a pity party. What dignity are they forfeiting anyway? If it's that important to you, don't sign a contract you know absolutely nothing out.

Exactly

The people are essentially actors.

I don't see the problem.

Who thinks that element of the movie is actually real? The people weren't exploited; had they not tried to sue no one would have even realized they were actually from a poor village. i had assumed they were actors
Old 11-19-2006, 03:34 AM   #105
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

While some of our liberal friends
Do you ever look at the world other than through "conservative or liberal" glasses?