Borat is getting sued.. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Should Borat have to pay damages for misleading and duping unsuspecting people ?
Yes 9 11.11%
No 58 71.60%
Yes in the case of the villagers, No for the American participants 14 17.28%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:20 AM
So should Rick Mercer be open to lawsuits for Talking to Americans? He asked fake questions exposing the ignorance of people and getting a huge laugh. The people signed waivers and voila, appear on Canadian television looking like idiots.

http://home.comcast.net/~wwwstephen/americans/

Satire is sometimes cruel and I get the impression from the article that if they were paid more money, the village wouldn't have been so offended.

It also brings up the question, well, since we are all now so aware of these people living in an impoverished community, is anyone going to help them or just interview them about how they were misled? Perhaps the government of Romania should be doing more to help these people and eliminate the discrimination they face. Without their exposure on this film, which most reasonable people know is not factual (who would think they really drink urine, but then again there are the people from Talking to Americans ), no one would realize their despair.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13

I don't understand how people don't think it's a joke. If they came and filmed me and said my apartment is a shithole and I'm a racist who eats kittens, I wouldn't lose sleep over it since it's fucking fictional.
I am on the same page. These people have issues to begin with and if they are worried about an "image" then maybe they need to look at themselves and change it. That's what it was about: people who are...odd. It makes fun of EVERYONE from rich white men to gays.

As for the villagers maybe something positive will come out of it for them! People will be questioning where this village is. AND LOOK! We are talking about this village. Without this movie no one here would have known the village even existed. So yeah they are getting some attention from this too.

I think the people in here need a good laugh right about now. hehe

Old 11-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by redkat

Did you read the article? Apparently they didnt know what was happening.

If the deceived party neither knows or has reason to know of the character of the proposed contract, the effect of the misrepresentation is that the parties never contracted.

It appears the villagers fit the bill for misrepresentation.
Then that is totally their faults for them not knowing of what is going on...As long as they signed the waver, you can't fight that, not even if they didnt know.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tpsreports2424

Then that is totally their faults for them not knowing of what is going on...As long as they signed the waver, you can't fight that, not even if they didnt know.
no that's not true at least not in the U.S
Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone who signs something they don't understand. (Frat boys or otherwise.) If they were blatantly lied to, that would be a different story.

I haven't seen the movie yet but have plans to this week.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by redkat

no that's not true at least not in the U.S

Oh, now I feel like a total idiot....
Old 11-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

For the record, I think Borat misled the villagers and should pay damages to them.

As fars as any American suing who signed a waiver, I say too bad.
Reason being is that the gist of the film was to instigate Jewish hatred by somebody who doesn't hate Jews but was on a mission to expose those that do.

As far as uneducated villagers to be told one thing and then mocked, that is a whole different story.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #53
Refugee

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Reason being is that the gist of the film was to instigate Jewish hatred by somebody who doesn't hate Jews but was on a mission to expose those that do.
What are we supposed to do about hatred then? Hide from it and sweep it under the carpet? Or face it and prove how stupid hatred and prejudice of any kind is........?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:29 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by mkdominatr

What are we supposed to do about hatred then? Hide from it and sweep it under the carpet? Or face it and prove how stupid hatred and prejudice of any kind is........?
Continue exposing hatred the way Borat did, this is a good thing by what he did while filming in America.

Misleading and then mocking the villagers who lived in Romania is an entirely different thing.

dbs
Old 11-12-2006, 11:32 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yeah, Borat should be ashamed of himself for introducing us to a town we never heard of filled with people we know nothing about in a country most of us can't find on a map and then exploiting them to make us laugh at our own ignorance.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:34 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

he didn't make me laugh and because of his filming methods I won't view his film.

dbs
Old 11-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Yeah, Borat should be ashamed of himself for introducing us to a town we never heard of filled with people we know nothing about in a country most of us can't find on a map and then exploiting them to make us laugh at our own ignorance.
if they hadn't filed suit we wouldn't have known anything about them. You think he did them a favor?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #58
War Child

Local Time: 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by partygirlvox
Good - I HATED that film. I thought it would be making fun of people who deserved it (namely right wing americans etc) but instead it just made fun of jewish people, and feminists.
I very nearly walked out of the cinema.
"Borat" was making fun of right-wing Americans by playing to their perceptions of Jews and feminists. The actor behind "Borat," Sacha Baron Cohen, is Jewish.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:56 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

my point is no one gave a damn about this place before all this and after this blip on the pop culture media news, no one will again.

Yes, I am a cynical SOB.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

you're probably right about that trev.

Do you think the production crew picked this spot due to the fact that it's so remote and so poor they'd likely never know and therefore couldn't object?

I'm cynical too