Booksigning Via Remote Control Pen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Easy for the author but I prefer the wee bit of personal contact, that's the main reason I go to signings. I do like to collect the books but I may as well buy them on Ebay rather than do this. But it is great that it can bring a "virtual signing" to remote places, technology becomes more amazing by the day.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/03/06/novel.invention.ap/index.html

LONDON, England (AP) -- Margaret Atwood has had enough of long journeys, late nights and writer's cramp.

Tired of grueling book tours, the Booker Prize-winning Canadian author on Sunday unveiled her new invention: a remote-controlled pen that allows writers to sign books for fans from thousands of miles away.

Some fear Atwood's LongPen could end the personal contact between writers and readers. Atwood says it will enhance the relationship.

"I think of this as a democratizing device," said Atwood, whose appearances draw hundreds of fans willing to stand in long lines for a word and an autograph.

"You cannot be in five countries at the same time. But you can be in five countries at the same time with the LongPen."

I'm working on setting up at least one (hopefully more) art exhibits here in the US for an artist I work with/for. Problem is he lives in Australia. Tough commute.

Although the ideal situation will be setting up two, maybe three exhibitions (he's prolific enough), several solo acoustic shows (he's better known as a musician), and perhaps a poetry reading/book signing or two as well (yeah, he does poetry as well), that ideal might not pan out. Although I'm quite willing to foot his airfare here, the cost of hotels, food, transportation, etc. once he gets here could very well be cost prohibitive.

We have been discussing the possibility of using web cams etc. to have him be able to interact with patrons if actually getting him here physically falls through. Obviously, actually being there is far preferable, but these types of technology does allow for some contact which might not happen otherwise. Heck, I know people who would fall all over themselves to talk with this guy on the phone for a couple on minutes.

So no it's not the same, but it might be the best available option sometimes.

That's a thought................this could be a way to promote artists. As an artist myself, I'm currently fantasizing using software to display paintings............it's pure fantasy on my part, of course, but very attractive!

Self promotion is one thing, but if someone wants to get a book (or other artwork) signed and call it an autograph, it should be signed by the person, in person.

What is the term for an automatically reproduced signature? I am sure it is far less value in the autograph collecting world.

It's apparently not automatically reproduced. The author still has to physically sign a digital tablet and this invention traces what the author is simultaneously signing.

So it is still an autograph in the literal sense, but I can understand if people think that it isn't the same.

Melon

nbcrusader said:
Self promotion is one thing, but if someone wants to get a book (or other artwork) signed and call it an autograph, it should be signed by the person, in person.

What is the term for an automatically reproduced signature? I am sure it is far less value in the autograph collecting world.

I agree. I do think that for the most part that people just want to be a part somehow of the artist. Not sure if this remote method would accomplish that, but perhaps in places where the only choice is between a remote autograph (and perhaps a webcam "appearance") and nothing the remote option would be welcomed.

As far as actual monetary value in the autograph business goes...I really can't see it having any, or not much at all.

indra said:
As far as actual monetary value in the autograph business goes...I really can't see it having any, or not much at all.

Autographs of any kind are valued based on scarcity, and I'd say that most modern novels have generally not been scarce when it comes to author appearances and signings.

Melon

Trying to analyze this.....I have a 176 page hardcover book. How does the signature get penned in the book? Or is this just an insert page? :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom