Book Club thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 05-22-2005, 02:33 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:42 AM
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
John Irving has a new book coming out, I love him so I'll try to read it. I was just reading about it online but I can't remember the title.

Does anyone know when Frank McCourt's novel is coming out? I saw him speak a couple of years ago and he said it was almost finished..

Thanks for the headsup on John Iriving. I always look forward to something new of his coming out and I hadn't heard about this.
(Hope they're better than the last couple, though. I've had to keep rereading the old ones.)

Old 05-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
It comes out on July 12th, here's the description from Amazon

“According to his mother, Jack Burns was an actor before he was an actor, but Jack’s most vivid memories of childhood were those moments when he felt compelled to hold his mother’s hand. He wasn’t acting then.”

So begins John Irving’s eleventh novel, Until I Find You — the story of the actor Jack Burns. His mother, Alice, is a Toronto tattoo artist. When Jack is four, he travels with Alice to several North Sea ports; they are trying to find Jack’s missing father, William, a church organist who is addicted to being tattooed. But Alice is a mystery, and William can’t be found. Even Jack’s memories are subject to doubt.

Jack Burns goes to schools in Canada and New England, but what shapes him are his relationships with older women. John Irving renders Jack’s life as an actor in Hollywood with the same richness of detail and range of emotions he uses to describe the tattoo parlors in those North Sea ports and the reverberating music Jack heard as a child in European churches.

The author’s tone — indeed, the narrative voice of this novel — is melancholic. (“In increments both measurable and not, our childhood is stolen from us — not always in one momentous event but often in a series of small robberies, which add up to the same loss.”) Until I Find You is suffused with overwhelming sadness and deception; it is also a robust and comic novel, certain to be compared to John Irving’s most ambitious and moving work.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
OK, that sounds good to me. I think I'm almost getting excited about a book again.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:42 AM
Originally posted by imogen
Clan of the Cave Bear. Jean Aul

5 books about the dawn of civilization. Light, but incredibly well researched and created. A real joy to read.
It's funny that you mentioned this because I have just discovered this series and only finished book 4 literally moments ago. It is rather light-weight in terms of fiction writing, but the depth of research into the Ice Age is really fascinating. I'm quite enjoying the books as a diversion into a totally different world. The sex scenes are pretty cheesy and quite repetitive but I guess in a hard life of chasing deer/mammoth, etc. and scraping an existence out of an unforgiving land, sex would be a welcome distraction/amusement. lol.

I'd also recommend another one I've read recently by Bill Bryson, although it is nothing like his usual travelogue stuff. "A Short History of Nearly Everything". It's basically a book about science, but he makes it fun and interesting and really brings alive the men and women who made the discoveries that we take for granted today.

"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono