Bono's stance on abortion and stem cell research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfwill23

War Child
Anybody know where Bono stands on the issues of abortion and stem cell research? Just curious as he said something to the effect of 'God, religion & science are all the same thing' during the New York concert.

I have read a quote of him saying he feels its a woman's choice. Which might not mean he nessacarily believes in it....

I am one of those strange folks who is definetly pro-life herself but I'm not about to take away the choice for a woman to decide on her own....

I am opposed to abortion in principle but I'm also opposed to making abortion illegal. I can't make someone else's moral decisions for them, they need to do that themselves. I know that Bono is pro-choice on abortion and I'd bet serious bucks that he supports stem cell research.

starsgoblue said:

I am one of those strange folks who is definetly pro-life herself but I'm not about to take away the choice for a woman to decide on her own....

I think most people that believe in pro-choice is pro-life themselves. At least here at FYM it seems to be the trend.

starsgoblue said:

:up: that about sums it up for a lot us, i think. not so strange at all.

I wish there were better alternatives as far as the abortion issue. Just think, it could be the person who could've cured cancer that you're not allowing life to.

Macfistowannabe said:
I wish there were better alternatives as far as the abortion issue. Just think, it could be the person who could've cured cancer that you're not allowing life to.

and it could just as easily have been the next Jeffery Dahmer.

really, the question should be framed as being pro-chioce and anti-choice. everyone i know is pro-life -- i think life is great! let's make every child a wanted child and life will get better. maybe pro-life people could call themselves pro-birth, since that seems to be the end of where concern for the fetus/child/baby ends.

If there is a way to cure a disease or make a technological breakthrough it is almost an inevitability that someday it will be found out. I have no problem with abortion being the choice of the individual woman, theraputic cloning or stem cell research.

Irvine511 said:
let's make every child a wanted child
You can't make every child a wanted child. When you have over 100,000 neglected and abused kids a year, are they wanted?

Macfistowannabe said:
You can't make every child a wanted child. When you have over 100,000 neglected and abused kids a year, are they wanted?

precisely. let's focus our efforts there, and enable women total control over their bodies so that every child born in America -- and one day the world -- is a wanted child.

Macfistowannabe said:

And that's a problem. But making women have babies they do not want (and possibly no one wants), would just make that problem worse. So looking for a way to make it much, much more likely that only children who are wanted are conceived and born is a very good goal (although probably not 100% obtainable).

I just think there has to be a better alternative. Maybe some kind of care center where any non-criminal member of society can come by to feed and spend time with these kids.

I'm not talking about a care center run by Michael Jackson. Perhaps the government could organize a great place for unfortunate kids to live in, be visited, and so on. Personally, I think this would be great for those who might consider having kids of their own, it would be a real leap for society to reach out to kids who previously felt unwanted. It could create jobs for those who maintain it. It's better than the treatment these kids are getting these days.

starsgoblue said:
I have read a quote of him saying he feels its a woman's choice. Which might not mean he nessacarily believes in it....

I don't think that's strange at all. There are many like you out there.

Irvine511 said:

precisely. let's focus our efforts there, and enable women total control over their bodies so that every child born in America -- and one day the world -- is a wanted child.
okay, clearly there would have to be some limits here. i mean, there are many parents who are able to provide for their children, and have the ability to give their children the time, attention, and love they deserve. but let's say having a child would make their career difficult (or something along those lines), making the child an inconvenience. is it okay for these people to kill their child? just because they simply regard it as an inconvenience?

About that total control over their bodies thing, and women's right to choose what to do with it... why isn't anyone here fighting for prostitution?

(Not that I approve of that, either)

^^^^I personally support making prostitution legal. As long as the adults are consenting to it, and it's all done in a safe manner and everything...why exactly should I get all bent out of shape about it? It's none of my business-hell, I won't even know who's being engaged in prostitution unless it makes the news for some reason or other. Prostitution should be handled the way it is in some other countries-they have certain areas for it, the people have to get tested regularly, they have to make sure they have stuff available to protect themselves, etc., etc.

Irvine511 said:
and it could just as easily have been the next Jeffery Dahmer.

Exactly.

Anywho, I'm pro-choice, too-ditto what verte said regarding this issue. Besides that, banning abortion itself certainly won't solve the problem, because women who really want one will find ways to have it done anyway. No, if people really want abortions to be less common, instead of flat out banning abortion, they should try to solve the problems that lead to women having abortions in the first place.

Angela

shrmn8rpoptart said:
but let's say having a child would make their career difficult (or something along those lines), making the child an inconvenience. is it okay for these people to kill their child? just because they simply regard it as an inconvenience?

See, THIS is why I cannot stomach the 'I'm against it but won't deny anyone else the choice' philosophy. To me that's like saying, 'I'd never kill my spouse, but if OJ decides to kill his, that's his choice, who am I to judge?' There are some things that are just plain WRONG and that's why we have laws against them, including murder, robbery, even drunk driving. Why is this the only bad thing made noble and left to 'choice?' I also have a big problem with the fact that the same legal system that allows the killing of a baby for convenience also forces me to wear a seat belt in the privacy of my own vehicle? What kind of double standard is that? My body my choice, remember?

Also on the topic, Bono's statements were made before he became a father. I'm hoping he's changed his mind. I know several people who were pro abortion but changed after they saw that little heart of a nine week baby beating on the ultrasound. They could no longer write it off as a 'choice.' I also think that Bono has to be careful one way or the other, being Irish. It's illegal over there, very touchy, and it's probably best for him not to speak out on it. That's probably why he doesn't.

Last edited:
Macfistowannabe said:

Sorry but I find the 'wanted child' thing disturbing too. It reminds me what happened to our companion animals, and how millions of loveable dogs and cats are killed in pounds every year because no one 'wanted' them, or took them and then changed their minds. Life is too precious to be that disposable. It's not a pair of old shoes to be tossed out if you don't want them at the time, it's a life, something that is unique and can never be replaced.

I'm going now, I get so emotional over this, I shouldn't post about it:(

I deplore the "disposable" mentality that's rampant in our culture, but I don't think changing the law is going to change this mentality. It's too ingrained, it's another matter involving sex and anything involving sex is a major deal.

U2Kitten said:

I also think that Bono has to be careful one way or the other, being Irish. It's illegal over there, very touchy, and it's probably best for him not to speak out on it.
yeah, it´s illegel there, but it´s also a well known "secret"
that thousands of irish women go to the UK every year
to have an abortion.

I am definitely pro-abortion.

I would imagine that Bono, like most educated people, is anti-abortion personally and pro-choice politically. He knows it's wrong, he knows it doesn't please God, and if he were female, he would never do it. But he would never want to impose his personal beliefs on his neighbor who may not share them.

LPU2 said:
I would imagine that Bono, like most educated people, is anti-abortion personally and pro-choice politically. He knows it's wrong, he knows it doesn't please God, and if he were female, he would never do it. But he would never want to impose his personal beliefs on his neighbor who may not share them.

Way to put words in someone's mouth. :rolleyes: You have absolutely NO basis for anything in this post.

Macfistowannabe said:
I just think there has to be a better alternative. Maybe some kind of care center where any non-criminal member of society can come by to feed and spend time with these kids.

Have you visited your local orphanage/group home lately? Have you applied for you license to be a foster parent? No? Then stop telling me what to do about my reproductive habits.

shrmn8rpoptart said:
okay, clearly there would have to be some limits here. i mean, there are many parents who are able to provide for their children, and have the ability to give their children the time, attention, and love they deserve. but let's say having a child would make their career difficult (or something along those lines), making the child an inconvenience. is it okay for these people to kill their child? just because they simply regard it as an inconvenience?

i just don't think anyone does this. first, you've used highly inflammatory and scientifically incorrect language -- saying an abortion is "killing your child." however, you do get to a point where there are grey areas -- when is an abortion "appropriate" or not. i'm afraid that this is an all or nothing argument. we have to trust women to make the right decisions for themselves, and realize that in the end, the choice is between her and her Maker. the consequences of outlawing abortion -- back alley butchers, coat hangers, etc, are far worse -- and, yes, i'm even talking about late term abortions, because i know a woman who has had one. firstly, these are extremely rare, and i'm sure horrible, but usually medically necessary. this woman is now a mother of 5, but the abortion she had was for a fetus who never developed a brain, development stopped at a brain stem -- she literally would have given birth to a vegetable, so the medically appropriate course of action, in this situation, for her, was an abortion.

Okay enough with the worst case scenario rhetoric, everyone knows there would always be exceptions for rape, incest, severe deformation of the fetus and health of the mother. Even most anti abortion people agree (including me) That doesn't change that 90-98% of all abortions in the US are for reasons of convenience. I also don't see 'killing a child' as an 'incorrect' label, that's exactly what happens, no matter how much you want to cover it up with terms you prefer to make yourself feel better.

Technically, we are all off topic here, this thread was to discuss Bono's views, not ours. Okay okay I'm going :censored: :reject:

Last edited:
martha said:
Have you visited your local orphanage/group home lately? Have you applied for you license to be a foster parent? No? Then stop telling me what to do about my reproductive habits.
Apparently you don't agree with John Kerry that we should discuss alternatives to abortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom