Bono's silence is strange and disappointing - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2003, 11:25 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I seriously doubt that this would ever be a reason for Bono to keep quiet about anything.

Politics, and AIDS cash, sure, but not whether his records sell to a few conservative fans.

OK, it's mainly politics, but generally speaking I think it's called "public relations", not to mention his rights as an Irish and European Union citizen.

Old 02-15-2003, 11:50 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

No offense to anyone but I think I'd better go back to PLEBA before I get myself in trouble here. I'm not exactly a great lover of controversy.

Old 02-16-2003, 12:40 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:37 AM
Here's a big part of what Bono is all about -- speaking and acting on issues that bring people together, not those that divide us. I don't think he's done a lot with issues where there's two clear, vocal sides and the line between them is a bit blurred. With Iraq, yeah, you have most of the world against it, but you have a lot of Americans and, believe it or not, others throughout the world who support it. AIDS killing millions in Africa is clearly wrong to everybody. With Iraq, some people see going after Saddam as a risk because of the threat to innocent life, then some say it's time to stop a dictator who's already killing his own innocent people and is seen as a threat to others outside of his country. What ever his opinion is on this one, I'll let him do whatever he wants with it, because that's what I'm doing. After looking past the rock star image and understanding who Bono is as a human, you can tell he's a highly intelligent guy with deep convictions and a high calling. It's fair to say this guy knows what he's doing, and has a good Counselor.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:44 AM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:37 AM
well said.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:30 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Pub,

"STING2, in your opinion, how does one work toward becoming a pacifist?"

By being diplomatic and avoiding resorting to options that might include violence unless its absolutely necessary.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:31 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:37 AM
Normal

IMHO, Bono has tact. He's always been a good people person. And as a musician, Bono's also a very powerful person in music and politics. So why would he say anything controversial about today's state of global events that will f*** up where the social position he's at?

It's not selling out. It's playing smart.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:02 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo
IMHO, Bono has tact. He's always been a good people person. And as a musician, Bono's also a very powerful person in music and politics. So why would he say anything controversial about today's state of global events that will f*** up where the social position he's at?

It's not selling out. It's playing smart.
Yeah, same opinion + 15 billions.

Fact is too, that Bonoīs opinion wouldnīt change the actions of the Bush administration if millions of people on the streets in all the world donīt change it.

I wonder, STING2, how you can still support your President when he damages the diplomatic relations of your very own country. Bush affects the perception of America negatively worldwide, that is a fact too, considering the millions of people on the street yesterday and today.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:21 AM   #83
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist
i agree bono doesn't owe us anything, but when he has been so politically involved and active in world matters, he put himself in spotlight and people expect him to offer an opinion at least of what is going on. after all this is the BIGGEST thing right now.
That's EXACTLY what my point is.
Some of you're trying to say that Bono's no difference from any of
the people expressing their opinions here.But he is.I believe that all or most people here are serious and sincere about their views,
no matter what views they are,and feel responsible for their words.
So is Bono,but his responsibility's much greater cause,as CA
said,he is in the spotlight and has influence.That is the choice HE made.He could have chosen to stay apolitical,as some musicians do,and keep his views to himself,occasionaly mentioning them in an interview.Then those would be his very own personal views,
just like anyone else's.
BUT once and for all Bono made it perfectly clear that he's more than l'art pour l'art.Remember his message,"World leaders need a big e-mail push" during the Drop the Debt compaign? If he adresses millions of his fans in this way he obviously knows he's got some influence.He's been proving that and making serious
statements all the way:from waving white flag back at Red Rocks to going to Bosnia,addressing his fans on different issues,
dedicating Walk On to Aung San Suu Kyi etc,etc.I agree he's taken a hard path,but once you make your choice,you're responsible for it.He's "a man,not a child".And "God" and "being
everything for everyone" is an exaggeration.You don't need to be
"everything" to understand the Iraqi issue is by far the biggest
issue at the moment and after all the political and social concern you've been showing for years it's not surprising people may expect YOU,not J.Lo to react.
Once again,Bono is a personality who's,unlike many others,
known for more than music,almost like John Lennon.You may like
Lennon or hate him or even don't care but at least there was some consistency about him during the Vietnam War.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:34 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yes, Aine, but maybe he doesnīt offer his opinion BECAUSE its the "biggest thing" - at the very moment. It may not be the biggest thing for Bono.

And I doubt the easy sleazy way of saying this is the "biggest thing" just bc everyone goes crazy. To me, Africa is the same important.

And when an aritst is known for his social opinions, it donīt mean he has to utter his opinion on everything and anything. The media is so full of articles about Iraq. Remember Bono did ZooTV? He knows that if he says just a word, it will be taken out of context, played around with, wrong citations, probably some headlines, but all in all nothing more than BLAH BLAH.

I think there are reasons for Bono not to speak out on that issue. And I think the protest movement is strong enough without him, too - whereas the movement for helping Africa isnīt that strong yet.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:54 AM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

It's his choice whether he speaks out on the issue of war or not. However, it'd be really interesting to know what he thinks. And I do agree with what Aine said, that if he expresses political opinions on other subjects that it's not completely unreasonable to be curious about his opinion on Iraq, given what a huge issue it is. Which certainly isn't to say he's obliged to give an opinion, simply that it'd be interesting to know where he stands.

There's always going to be an extent to which those of us who are anti-war just assume he's on our side, just as the pro-war lobby are going to find reasons to paint him as a hawk.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:15 AM   #86
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Yes, Aine, but maybe he doesnīt offer his opinion BECAUSE its the "biggest thing" - at the very moment. It may not be the biggest thing for Bono.And I doubt the easy sleazy way of saying this is the "biggest thing" just bc everyone goes crazy.
I understand,but is it really about "going crazy"? I'd say it's about
people's lives at this very moment.What I don't get is how one can be concerned about the suffering of the people in Africa but
at the same time act as if Iraq=Saddam when first of all Iraq'a its
people whose sufferings will be no smaller if the war starts,cause
it's always ordinary people's lives that are ruined,not the bastards
who rule them.It's what angers me most,that the damn Milosevic sits in the Hague like in his own living-room while 2000 lives were
destroyed not to mention about the rest.Obviously it's not the
way out.Surely all suffering people in the world are worth-noticing,not just a chosen group,especially when they need you
NOW?

Quote:
And I think the protest movement is strong enough without him, too - whereas the movement for helping Africa isnīt that strong yet.
After September,11 the world's support for America's tragedy was strong as well and there was no need to draw additional attention to it,unlike with Africa.Nonetheless,Bono joined American stars in shooting the video,the only non-American there.That would be all right,we all understand and share America's grief,but the next question is,did he sympathise with America's trouble more than of any other country as if thousands of people around the world were less humans? That's why I say
I'm amazed by such clear expressions of inconsistency or even double standard from such an intelligent,knowledgible and respectful person as Bono.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:28 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hum, hum, yes yes... not that youīd be wrong, Aine, just giving some reasons...
Old 02-16-2003, 08:29 AM   #88
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
It's his choice whether he speaks out on the issue of war or not. However, it'd be really interesting to know what he thinks. And I do agree with what Aine said, that if he expresses political opinions on other subjects that it's not completely unreasonable to be curious about his opinion on Iraq, given what a huge issue it is. Which certainly isn't to say he's obliged to give an opinion, simply that it'd be interesting to know where he stands.

There's always going to be an extent to which those of us who are anti-war just assume he's on our side, just as the pro-war lobby are going to find reasons to paint him as a hawk.
Exactly. Well said.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:31 AM   #89
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
It's his choice whether he speaks out on the issue of war or not.
Which certainly isn't to say he's obliged to give an opinion, simply that it'd be interesting to know where he stands.
I've never said he's "obliged" or "should" or "must" because no
one can "oblige" Bono to do anything,or at least I hope so.But
his giving an opinion would be quite natural given all his concern
about similar issues.And it's certainly his choice to speak out or not;the point is,his choice tells something about him.That's my
strongest conviction,but I'd like to note that I appreciate otherwise convictions here no less.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:18 AM   #90
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 12:37 AM
did she really say bono "made himself almost a new lennon???"