Bono's silence is strange and disappointing - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2003, 04:13 PM   #16
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Posts: 2,551
Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
I think I should inform everyone here that Bono is NOT a Pacifist.
STING2, despite your proclamation, I'd venture to say you don't know any more about Bono's opinions than the rest of us.
__________________

__________________
pub crawler is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:14 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 02:23 AM
Aine,

Bono spoke out extensively on the former Yugoslavia and supported US military intervention to stop the fighting.
__________________

__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:17 PM   #18
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,838
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
I think I should inform everyone here that Bono is NOT a Pacifist.
Bono's definition of not being a pacifist was quantified on Larry King. He said he aspired to be a true pacifist but if pushed would defend his wife and children, like most of us would.

There are probably very few complete pacifists in the world, and many more who aspire or long to be. Bono has made it clear that he longs to be in the club, but that his imperfect human nature sometimes gets the better of him.

No spin, just exactly what the man said.
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:19 PM   #19
BAW
The Flower
 
BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The OC....!!!!
Posts: 11,094
Local Time: 06:23 PM
No matter how much we love and respect Bono, he owes us nothing but great music. He is first and foremost a musician who just happens to be a great humanitarian. He's not a politician. He doesn't owe us an opinion on Iraq or anything else going on in the world. If he chooses to give these opinons, great. If not, that's his choice.

He gives so much to the world...why can't we let him keep something to himself.

I can't imagine what it must be like to have this kind of pressure, to be held to such impossibly high standards.
__________________
BAW is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:20 PM   #20
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Why do we care what Bono thinks? Does he need to tell us everything?
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:21 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 02:23 AM
Pub Crawler,

I'm only going by what BONO has stated for the record to the media. In the HOT PRESS article last year he said that he is NOT a Pacifist, supported Bush's war on terror at that point 100%. Thats a fact whether you like it or not. Its also a fact that he supported US military intervention in the former Yugoslavia as documented by the book "Until The End Of the World".

There are some in this thread who may not of known this which is why I brought it up. It contradicts several peoples beliefs about Bono's opinion.

Its not a proclamation, but a verifiable fact. I never claimed that I knew more about Bono than anyone else here. I simply brought up some facts that were missing in this discussion.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:23 PM   #22
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,337
Local Time: 06:23 PM
At that point. Different from bombing a nation of children with direct link to said "terror."
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:26 PM   #23
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,838
Local Time: 09:23 PM
It would appear that some might want to use completely unrelated past events to postulate on what they imagine Bono to believe on Iraq to further their own ideals on this and other fan forums.

We should be able to formulate our own opinions and positions from the facts.

Having said that, with the way the situation is turning out, how anyone who has been listening to anything U2 has said or sung about in the last 20+ years can even think for one minute that Bono is sitting at home secretly supporting a US-led invasion of Iraq at this point is completely beyond me.
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:27 PM   #24
arw
Blue Crack Addict
 
arw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: walking around 10,000 lakes
Posts: 27,320
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Would it change the minds of some of you guys if you did know his opinion?

I agree with you, Bono's American Wife, I couldn't have said what you wrote any better. Bono is a musician who is a humanitarian but he's not a politician and he doesn't owe us his opinion. When and if he chooses to give it, I will listen, but it won't change my mind on what I believe about this world. He's not that powerful. I love U2 to death but I would never change my mind just because anyone in U2 said it was so.

I would rather Bono be in the studio with the rest of U2 making a new album than know what he thinks about this subject.
__________________
arw is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:28 PM   #25
War Child
 
UKTan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 883
Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
No matter how much we love and respect Bono, he owes us nothing but great music. He is first and foremost a musician who just happens to be a great humanitarian. He's not a politician. He doesn't owe us an opinion on Iraq or anything else going on in the world. If he chooses to give these opinons, great. If not, that's his choice.

He gives so much to the world...why can't we let him keep something to himself.

I can't imagine what it must be like to have this kind of pressure, to be held to such impossibly high standards.
__________________
UKTan is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:30 PM   #26
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,838
Local Time: 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797

I would rather Bono be in the studio with the rest of U2 making a new album than know what he thinks about this subject.


UKTan -

__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:32 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 11,961
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797
When and if he chooses to give it, I will listen, but it won't change my mind on what I believe about this world. He's not that powerful. I love U2 to death but I would never change my mind just because anyone in U2 said it was so.
exactly.

i've always found it interesting that people are so obsessed with celebrity's opinions on politics, etc. - as if they somehow have it all figured out or something. or as if somehow their opinion carries more weight.
__________________
Screaming Flower is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:32 PM   #28
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: St.Petersburg,Russia
Posts: 329
Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Aine,

Bono spoke out extensively on the former Yugoslavia and supported US military intervention to stop the fighting.
Sting, you mean 1999? I tried to find some info on that but failed.
Did he ever spoke of the results,I mean,2000 civils killed,90 ancient churches ruined,Orthodox nuns being raped by Albanian
extremists? Surely he couldn't have heard of that? Can you tell me
where I can find any of his speeches Yugoslavia-related? Thanks.
__________________
Aine is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:35 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:23 PM
It seems like many members want Bonoís opinions to reflect their own.

I agree it does not matter.

But since some want to speculate, letís foll\ow a process..

Premise no. 1.- Bono supports Ė Iraq attack.

Premise no. 2 - Bono opposes-- Iraq attack.

Premise no. 1. If true, Bono would gain points with Bush and could get more aid for his causes.
Many fans would be disappointed. He has not been afraid to disappoint them before, i. e. waving U. S. flag, supporting attack on Afghanistan.

Anyone want to give premise no 2. speculation?
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 02-15-2003, 04:35 PM   #30
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Posts: 2,551
Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Pub Crawler,
I'm only going by what BONO has stated for the record to the media. In the HOT PRESS article last year he said that he is NOT a Pacifist, supported Bush's war on terror at that point 100%.
gabrielvox clarified the issue:

Quote:
Bono's definition of not being a pacifist was quantified on Larry King. He said he aspired to be a true pacifist but if pushed would defend his wife and children, like most of us would.
Supporting the "War on Terror" and supporting the bombing of Iraq are two different things. Supporting the War on Terror can mean anything. I'm anti-terror myself. Arent' we all?

Quote:
Its also a fact that he supported US military intervention in the former Yugoslavia as documented by the book "Until The End Of the World".
That DOESN'T mean Bono supports the killing of innocents via "collateral damage" that might be incurred in a bombing. BIG DEAL if he supported military intervention in an ethnic war. I personally wish the U.S. would have intervened militarily in Rwanda in 1994 to stop the genocide there. And yes, I would have supported using force (e.g. guns) to stop the 800,000 murders that occured in that African country. Yet, I STILL CONSIDER MYSELF SOMEONE WHO STRIVES TO BE A PACIFIST.


Quote:
Its not a proclamation, but a verifiable fact. I never claimed that I knew more about Bono than anyone else here. I simply brought up some facts that were missing in this discussion. [/B]
Nope, it's not a verfiable fact. You'd do well to take your own advice and stop projecting your beliefs on to Bono.
__________________

__________________
pub crawler is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com