Bono's silence is strange and disappointing - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2003, 02:32 PM   #136
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:11 AM
Looks like he stepped off the fence.

from U2log:
An anti-war protest in Dublin drew approximately 50,000 people to the city center on Saturday. Demonstrators marched through the city to the Department of Foreign Affairs to voice their opposition to President Bush's plans for war on Iraq. Spotted among the protestors were Bono and Christy Moore, who "mixed with happy go lucky marchers," according to The People. Gardi report no serious incidences resulted from the protest.

Old 02-17-2003, 02:47 PM   #137
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
Looks like he stepped off the fence.

from U2log:
An anti-war protest in Dublin drew approximately 50,000 people to the city center on Saturday. Demonstrators marched through the city to the Department of Foreign Affairs to voice their opposition to President Bush's plans for war on Iraq. Spotted among the protestors were Bono and Christy Moore, who "mixed with happy go lucky marchers," according to The People. Gardi report no serious incidences resulted from the protest.

Cool. I admit it, I like this news. I really didn't expect Bono to stay on the fence. It's like, huh, Bono on a fence?? It looks like he was quiet about the demonstration--it's not like he wanted to be one of the speakers. He was just Joe Q. Demonstrator.

Old 02-17-2003, 03:18 PM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Gabrielvox,

This is what Pub Crawler said:

"That, to me, is an amazing statement, and it confirms my suspicion that STING2 simply won't listen to any argument against war, no matter how rational. It's easy for me to believe STING2 made up his mind about the current situation in Iraq before he was even fully aware of the circumstances."

The definition of Slander: The Utterance or spreading of a false statement or statements, harmful to another's character or reputation.

I have listened and read more arguements for an against a possible war in Iraq than I care to mention. Several years ago before 9/11, I had a very different opinion about what should be done about Iraq. I don't love war! These are false personal statements!

Everyone here in Free Your Mind has the right to post when and where ever they feel like in a respectful manner, without having people attempt to make personal judgements about them. Why would anyone want to do that?

Gabriel,

We once had a member of the forum called Achtung Bubba who unfortunately could not resist attacking members of the forum personally. He is no longer a member. I don't make judgements or form personal opinions about members of the forum, because such an opinion is illinformed, unbased and unecessary.

I'm here to debate various issues not get into talking about other people in a personal nature. If you have read anything regarding the nature of this forum, you would know that such behavior is not tolerated here. Why is that so difficult for you to understand? Why can't you debate a political issue without making personal comments about someone who has an opinion different from your own? Why are you so quick to form false opinions about people you know nothing about? Why do you form any personal opinion at all about anyone here? Thats not the purpose of this forum.

I avoid engaging in such behavior because I realize it is against the rules of those that created this forum. Posting here is a privilege. I'm not going to sacrifice that privilege by posting irrelevant, unecessary, uninformed personal comments about someone I don't know.

Engaging in such behavior is certainly not part of aspiring to be a Pacifist.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:41 PM   #139
Ghost of Love

STING2,

You leveled the accusation of slander.

I in turn stated whether or not I agreed with your accusation.

It is my right to respond to any post, as it is yours, and I was not disrespectful. I stated my opinion.

As you and I have both been told, if you don't agree with my opinion it is your decision to a. ignore it or b. respond to it.

But don't presume to lecture me or question my motives for being on FYM. And references to former members that end up sounding like thinly veiled threats really do not concern me.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 02-17-2003, 03:41 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Now that Bono has attended the anti-war demonstration in Dublin I think his so-called "silence" is a non-issue. The said "silence" doesn't exist anymore. I'm glad he didn't pull a Sean Penn act; it was quite a different scene for him to attend his home town's demonstration. It's within his rights as an Irish and a European Union citizen.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:45 PM   #141
Ghost of Love

Listen guys/gals, I would love for Bono to have been at that protest...BUT...

Has it being confirmed? According to one of our posters that actually lives over there, the tabloid that reported this news is hardly a respectable source.

Anyone got a better report of it?

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 02-17-2003, 04:05 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox

Has it being confirmed? According to one of our posters that actually lives over there, the tabloid that reported this news is hardly a respectable source.

You're right, the paper is a tabloid and not reliable. They quoted their source as MGN Ltd, which presumably is their *own* "news" source. I haven't seen the report anywhere else. But I cannot imagine this being a fabrication. Tabloids aren't always wrong, they usually are.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:08 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Gabrielvox,

It was an opinion in support of making personally disrespectful comments to another person of the forum. That in itself is not respectful. It would have been respectful to move on. No one here has the right to say anything just because its their Opinion. We have to be personally respectful of each other.

If you want to ignore the warnings of the past and continue to engage in personal remarks or comments about other people whether they be direct or indirect, go ahead. But I don't think its in yours or anyone elses best interest that you do so. As long as you continue to make personal statements about me, directly or indirectly, I'll continue to restate that behavior is not to be conducted in this forum and of course inform the moderators.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:13 PM   #144
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
It's like, huh, Bono on a fence??
The said "silence" doesn't exist anymore

I'd like to thank all the people who shared their thoughts and info
in this thread,it's been greatly appreciated.There're still serious questions left unsolved for me,but you really helped to sort it out for me a bit.
I'm sorry if someone here got the impression that I've been talking offensively towards Bono- I never meant it.I started this thread because I want to know where Bono stands.For various reasons it's been very important for me for some time already.My words may have seemed harsh but then my feelings about the subject have been very,very strong.
Again thanks .
Old 02-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #145
Acrobat

If anyone got any more good ( I HOPE!) news,please share.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:27 PM   #146
Ghost of Love

STING2,

I think you should drop it. I said nothing disrespectful.

You are putting words into my mouth which I did not say.

What I will say is that I find it rather amusing that you will hypocritically tell me to 'move on' when it is clear that you have been unable to yourself, and your posting history demonstrates that you discuss support for war as a means to peace at every chance you get. Saying that is not disrespectful or offensive, only if you take it that way. I'm not the only one who thinks so, it is also clear.

I could easily say that I find it offensive when people say that due to my posting history, Im a peacenik who is completely out of touch with the realities of the brutal world we live in. But in the end all it is just some internet posters opinion of me, like does it really matter??

But seeing as how it was so offensive to you, when you are thru sending PubCrawler's comments to the mods, feel free to send mine along too.

But don't threaten me, it is neither your right or place as you are not a mod, I took notice of the real mod's warnings earlier and have since conducted myself accordingly.

Since you are so big on the principles of Free Your Mind, in what way has your mind been freed? I personally have noticed a decided shift in some of my own very strongly held opinions, while I can say that from what I've read of your posts over the last year or so, your opinions haven't changed. So are you simply here to help us free our minds? Isn't THAT a rather disrespectful presumption?

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 02-17-2003, 04:35 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

If this is not true, of course there will be a statement to this effect. So far I'm not familiar with such a statement.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:37 PM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Aine

I'd like to thank all the people who shared their thoughts and info
in this thread,it's been greatly appreciated.There're still serious questions left unsolved for me,but you really helped to sort it out for me a bit.
I'm sorry if someone here got the impression that I've been talking offensively towards Bono- I never meant it.I started this thread because I want to know where Bono stands.For various reasons it's been very important for me for some time already.My words may have seemed harsh but then my feelings about the subject have been very,very strong.
Again thanks .

Hey, no problem. I'm familiar with "strong feelings" about this because I share them. I didn't demonstrate with a fever for nothing.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:50 PM   #149
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

I'm not going to sacrifice that privilege by posting irrelevant, unecessary, uninformed personal comments about someone I don't know.

Engaging in such behavior is certainly not part of aspiring to be a Pacifist.
LOL..... So STING2, you end your post by "slandering" me??? You're refering to me personally in the quote above ..... how dare you.

For what it's worth....

Earlier in this thread you apologized for making a statement about my pacifism. You apologized for getting "personal." When I read your original post in which you later felt you were too "personal," I didn't think twice about it. I have no problem with you or anyone else challenging my comments. If fact, I invite you to challenge my statements. A lot of debate happens in this forum. People call each other out on certain statements.

I think your charge of slander is a cop-out. Why don't you just say you don't care to debate the issue with me anymore?

Finally, you claim you answered the question of how you are aspiring to be a pacifist. I beg to differ. You merely gave an ambiguous answer to the question of how one strives to be a pacifist. In effect, you gave no answer at all. But that's okay, I don't care what your answer is anymore. I'm not enjoying the debate with you, so let's drop it.

Peace.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:58 PM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I could easily say that I find it offensive when people say that due to my posting history, Im a peacenik who is completely out of touch with the realities of the brutal world we live in.

You said it....not me....