Bono's repetitious rap on Conan - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 09:22 AM
Bono's repetitious rap on Conan

I know that our beloved B-man is soft on politicians generally as a tactic to get them to cooperate with debt relief and aid to Africa.

However, when Bono said that Bush was doing a great job on TV last night, my stomach turned. He soured an otherwise lovely evening of late night TV and a great 4-song set.

When Conan gave him the chance to speak eloquently about getting beyond the polarized either-or of Left-Right, he instead parroted his increasingly dated, rehearsed, and shallow rap about stopping poverty being part of the war and as big as the internet.

I wear my One bracelet and U2 fandom proudly, but Bono sometimes tests my love and admiration. He did last night.
Anu

Old 10-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:22 AM
I think the more important point and the one that usually gets lost or overlooked is that it's the citizen voters that really have the final say on who gets what money. Bono can harass Bush all he wants and Bush can agree to pretty much anything, but unless WE make it an issue when it comes to who we elect and why, nothing will ever come of it.

Also, Bono seemed kind of nervous or distracted last night. I don't think he said one original thing and they kept going to commercials and the discussion/questions never really got anywhere.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

One thing you have to remember about Bono is he generally takes a very humble approach to everyone he works with on the AIDS crisis. He appeals to everyone. I understand that certain comments can make people wince, but in the end, I think he knows what he's doing.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
One thing you have to remember about Bono is he generally takes a very humble approach to everyone he works with on the AIDS crisis. He appeals to everyone. I understand that certain comments can make people wince, but in the end, I think he knows what he's doing.
Yeah, I mean, it's obvious the majority of people on Interference hate Bush, but half of the nation doesn't, so for Bono to start talking about the ONE campaign and equality, justice, etc and then say Bush is a lying idiot would pretty much destroy Bono's credibility, even if its true...I'm proud of Bono for having the patience to work with Bush and still have something positive to say about the experience!
Old 10-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think Bono should go around criticizing Bush. I don't like Bush and didn't vote for him, but what good would it do if Bono said he was a crud who wasn't doing his fair share? In that business you've got to play a word game, and that's what he's doing. I didn't see the show so I can't judge that particular interview.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
War Child

I can't stand Bush, but i thought Bono did an admirable job talking about the issue and what's needed, and not get into finger pointing.

Bono basically said this same thing to Conan: "We don't always have to agree upon everything. We just have to agree upon ONE thing."
Old 10-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Babyface

Local Time: 03:22 AM
I think Bono's approach to this issue, the way he approaches both sides, is exactly what sets him apart from every other celebrity out there. Conservatives actually listen to him. Do you think they would give him the time of day if he went on crazy Michael Moore-ish rants, simply demonizing the other side and making blanket statements? I think he is absoultey right in not making this a partisan issue .
Old 10-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Unless Bono uses stronger words, I fear he will not be heard...
Old 10-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Actually, I agree with ouizy that Bono and ONE really have got to show a bit more backbone when it comes to facing up to the obstinency and lack of necessary funding levels for Global AIDS and anti-poverty programs around the world on the part of the American government.

Whether it is with the President or members of Congress (whether Democratic or Republican), the days of Bono's cajoling the American government should come to an end!

With over two million Americans who have signed up for the ONE Campaign, Bono and ONE have behind them enough PEOPLE POWER to keep these politicians honest enough to fulfill their commitments to Africa in terms of funding Global AIDS and anti-poverty programs in the federal budget.

OUR POWER LIES IN THE FACT THAT WE CAN VOTE THESE OBSTINATE POLITICIANS OUT OF OFFICE.

Bono and ONE need to concentrate more than what is being done on mobilizing the American people to pressure our politicians than on Bono giving every two-bit politico a photo op and autograph session with him which doesn't materialize into support for the funding of the programs Bono supports.

I speak as one who has been and is in the trenches of the anti-poverty struggle for many years.

Old 10-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #10
Refugee

I feel his words were well chosen...ONE came through clearly.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #11
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Bono didn't say "Bush has a heart" or "Bush has done some decent things for aid to Africa"; he gave him a blanket pass on his "job," his performance. "He's doing a good job."

This assertion is increasingly, universally, patently false. Even Bush's pals are bailing on him because he is *not* doing a good job.

Dr. King and John Lennon (Bono's heroes and mine) "spoke truth to power" on the Vietnam War even when it was not the popular thing to do. Bono could be much more outspoken about the war.

Bono is very influential and principled. While he could lose credibility for what someone called Michael Moore-like behavior, he also loses credibility for not having a backbone when Bush's behavior so clearly harms the world and contradicts the values that the band and most of the band's fans share.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I agree with what you're saying, and I wish Bono would speak up and get a bit more ballsy, but at the same time, I don't think a U2 segment on late night TV is really the most appropriate or effective venue to have that kind of discussion. I would've liked it more if they'd avoided that whole topic of Bush vs. African aid in general, b/c that's only one small dimension of the problem involving only one person (Bush). I can't even watch a U2 skit anymore w/ out it turning into a political debate.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
Bono didn't say "Bush has a heart" or "Bush has done some decent things for aid to Africa"; he gave him a blanket pass on his "job," his performance. "He's doing a good job."

This assertion is increasingly, universally, patently false. Even Bush's pals are bailing on him because he is *not* doing a good job.

Dr. King and John Lennon (Bono's heroes and mine) "spoke truth to power" on the Vietnam War even when it was not the popular thing to do. Bono could be much more outspoken about the war.

Bono is very influential and principled. While he could lose credibility for what someone called Michael Moore-like behavior, he also loses credibility for not having a backbone when Bush's behavior so clearly harms the world and contradicts the values that the band and most of the band's fans share.
Just wanted to point out that Bono is not a pacifist and has supported the war on terror as well as the invasion of Afghanistan. I know that really angers some liberals, but BONO does not necessarily share all the views on various issues that many mainstream liberals have. While its true Bono did not support the initial invasion of Iraq, Bono does support the US troops working hard in Iraq to help build a new country for the people there. He has dedicated songs to them in concert this year.

The fact is, Bush is doing a good job in many area's, and Bono seems to agree. He obviously does not hate Bush or Helms like many liberals do. Its great to see him thinking outside the liberal box when it comes to politics.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Just wanted to point out that Bono is not a pacifist and has supported the war on terror as well as the invasion of Afghanistan. I know that really angers some liberals, but BONO does not necessarily share all the views on various issues that many mainstream liberals have. While its true Bono did not support the initial invasion of Iraq, Bono does support the US troops working hard in Iraq to help build a new country for the people there. He has dedicated songs to them in concert this year.

The fact is, Bush is doing a good job in many area's, and Bono seems to agree. He obviously does not hate Bush or Helms like many liberals do. Its great to see him thinking outside the liberal box when it comes to politics.

it's great to see people paint "liberals" as of a single mindset with a single set of values that they all adhere to. it's great to hear the word "liberal" used as a definition of political convenience, of giving a name to myriad people from all walks of life who disagree with you. it's much easier to define people on your terms so that it serves your political purposes. this is how things like racism or sexism work -- you define those who are somewhat different from you, and then view everything they say or do through that definition.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 02:22 AM
The easy way out for Bono would be to slam all the hypocrites. He's fighting the dirty fight that's necessary to get the BILLIONS needed to win this battle.