Bono's repetitious rap on Conan - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2005, 03:59 AM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
No reason to be confused. The song, while perhaps not a rebel song, is clearly an anti-war song. And now it's ours.
Irish nationalists, rightly or wrongly, originally interpreted the song as being about Bloody Sunday, and as being a pro-nationalist song (I realise the lyrics are anti-war but these nuances don't come across in live concerts). In spite of Bono's anti-IRA rants during the late 1980's, some people in Ireland still think it is a pro-IRA song (I'm not joking, I've met a few who think this.)

With Bono's latest statements that you have reported, I feel there is a risk pro-Iraq war or pro-Bush people may well do something similar, i.e. interpret in a 'wrap the stars and stripes around me' sense, not as an anti-war statement.

That's why I'm in the 'confused' camp.

Although cynics might say that's what Bono does best - being all things to all people.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #107
She's the One

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

With Bono's latest statements that you have reported, I feel there is a risk pro-Iraq war or pro-Bush people may well do something similar, i.e. interpret in a 'wrap the stars and stripes around me' sense, not as an anti-war statement.
Only the thickest of the thick could possibly interpret it that way after seeing the concert.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:36 PM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Quote:
Here's a nice postscript to this thread for some of you.

Tonight at Staples Center, as the band started Sunday Blooody Sunday, Bono shouted twice "America, this is your song now!" He said it again during the song.
Interesting....so him saying it after 9/11 made it an anti-terrorist song? Or was it an anti-terrorist song before that?

We all love to make Bono into our own image.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:53 PM   #109
War Child

Local Time: 06:53 PM
a lot of you are just confusing this thing
Bono was great on Obrien saying ' You don't have to agree with everything to get with somebody, you just have to agree on one thing'
and thats fucking clear; he doesnt support the war, or Bushe's politics, but he recognizes the efforts in the poverty issue

thats it. end of thread
Old 11-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #110
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Interesting....so him saying it after 9/11 made it an anti-terrorist song? Or was it an anti-terrorist song before that?

We all love to make Bono into our own image.
It's the context and the way he presents the song. It's clearly delivering an anti-war message. No more Irish flags and tears this tour.

If you need any further clarification, go reread the Rolling Stone interview.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:19 PM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Looking at every DVD from the tour in my possession, I understand your point of view. I also know for fact that after the 9/11 bombings he began saying it.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:41 PM   #112
She's the One

So it's possible to be both "anti-terrorist" and "anti-war"?

Good, because I've been trying to say that for what, 3, 4 years now?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
So it's possible to be both "anti-terrorist" and "anti-war"?

Good, because I've been trying to say that for what, 3, 4 years now?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:53 PM
If anyone listened to all three of the podcasts from the Rolling Stone interview with Bono from last month, you will hear him clearly state in the third podcast about his disagreement with the Bush administration's war in Iraq.

Bono does not equivocate about this - he states this clearly.

So, who is trying to make Bono fit into their own viewpoints?

Not those of us who are anti-Iraq war. He is already one of us.

NO MORE....
Old 11-20-2005, 04:29 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila

So, who is trying to make Bono fit into their own viewpoints?

Not those of us who are anti-Iraq war. He is already one of us.

NO MORE....
Well, doesn't that make you special?

The thread is about what he said on Conan. Regardless of what he believes (which I don't think anyone on a message board can say for fact) or said elsewhere, it wasn't clear from the Conan interview how he feels about Bush and/or the war. What is clear is that he's obviously willing to go out on a limb by working with people that aren't "one of us" in order to move forward for a much greater purpose. That's all I need to know
Old 11-20-2005, 04:56 PM   #116
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Regardless of what he believes (which I don't think anyone on a message board can say for fact)
Then you haven't read the RS interview, the Sunday Times article, or listened to the podcasts.

And on Conan, since you want to discuss that, the tone and look he used when describing the "war on terror" was dismissive and ironic. Or did you see the show so you know that already?
Old 11-20-2005, 05:11 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

And on Conan, since you want to discuss that, the tone and look he used when describing the "war on terror" was dismissive and ironic. Or did you see the show so you know that already?
I have seen the Conan show once or twice. It's not that I want to discuss it, it's the point of this thread. I'm not defending Bush or the war b/c personally I don't support either, but I really don't think that was the point of what Bono was saying on Conan. I think he was trying to make a point about world hunger/Africa/the ONE campaign, not trying to make point about disagreeing w/ Bush and the war.

I just was momentarily annoyed by Jamila's post b/c she seemed to be annoyed that pro-Bush/war people were trying to twist Bono's words to fit their purposes, but then she says Bono's "one of us", like she can use Bono to fit her purposes when in reality, what Bono was saying on Conan wasn't for the purpose of a pro/anti war debate.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:52 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Why does anyone honestly care what Bono thinks of the war on terror or the war in Iraq in general?

I know he means well, but this is the man who called Abu Gharib one of the "low points in the history of civilization" so I think he might be missing a sense of perspective at the current time.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:23 PM   #119
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I just was momentarily annoyed by Jamila's post b/c she seemed to be annoyed that pro-Bush/war people were trying to twist Bono's words to fit their purposes, but then she says Bono's "one of us", like she can use Bono to fit her purposes when in reality, what Bono was saying on Conan wasn't for the purpose of a pro/anti war debate.
Do not be annoyed...it happens all the time!

You said it much better than I could.

If you notice, I have never ever claimed that Bono was in support of the Iraq War. Funny, how in almost every one of these threads I somewhere seem to make a comment about how rediculous I think they are.

I am smart enough to know that Bono is against the torture that has been taking place. I also am smart enough to know that said torture is counter productive to fighting terrorism and most likely causes more terrorism to occur. I am also smart enough to know that the Sunday Bloody Sunday song is about terrorism and it is certainly not a pro terrorist song. There have been interviews in which Bono says he is NOT a pacifist.

What can I take from this. My take, Bono believes the best way to fight terrorism is to fight poverty. I agree with this position in most cases. Osama is not poor. Many of the 9/11 participants did not come from poor families. I think Abu G and even GITMO are absolutely contrary to the principals that Bono and U2 stand for, and that is what I get out of the concert. Their stand against terrorism, and against torture.

Bono may even be opposed to the Iraq War, my gut says he is. But I do not get that from the show.

As for people (Jamilla in particular since you responded the my comment) insinuating that I have tried to shape Bono in "my own image" find a place in here where I have ever taken a stand that Bono believes even remotely that the Iraq War was right and I will apologize.

As for Martha, I believe she heard what she heard at the concert. I respect the feeling she got from the show. I am sure she respects what I heard at the show I attended.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:26 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

oops