Bono's repetitious rap on Conan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OneTreeHill76 said:
I think Bono's approach to this issue, the way he approaches both sides, is exactly what sets him apart from every other celebrity out there. Conservatives actually listen to him. Do you think they would give him the time of day if he went on crazy Michael Moore-ish rants, simply demonizing the other side and making blanket statements? I think he is absoultey right in not making this a partisan issue .

Amen.

Bono's shades said:

I think you are really grasping at straws here.

The dedication to the troops was before Running To Stand Still, which U2 played right after the Sunday Bloody Sunday/Love and Peace or Else and Bullet the Blue Sky. If you don't think that portion of the concert isn't anti-war, you simply haven't been paying attention to any of U2's lyrics.

Personally, I think the phrase "Running to Stand Still" sounds like a pretty good description of the mess we are in right now with Iraq. I have no idea if that was what Bono was thinking when he made the dedication during that point in the show, but I can't see any other reason for him to choose that particular song for the dedication.

Well if its so obvious that its an "anti-war" section of the concert, which war are they opposing? Is it explicitly against the Iraq War? It certainly is not against all War since the band have supported war in Bosnia and Afghanistan and have stated they are not pacifist. Also, the dedication did not come during that trilogy of songs.

A dedication to the troops does not equal a support of the war or against it.....

it is what it is....

a recognition of a group of people, a thank you, a prayer for them

STING2 said:

Well if its so obvious that its an "anti-war" section of the concert, which war are they opposing? Is it explicitly against the Iraq War? It certainly is not against all War since the band have supported war in Bosnia and Afghanistan and have stated they are not pacifist. Also, the dedication did not come during that trilogy of songs.

I said it came RIGHT AFTER that triology of songs, get it? And since we have a war going on right now and U2 is choosing to play those three songs back to back (and one of them is a song written recently, not one from years ago) l don't think it's a stretch to say they are trying to make a statement about the current situation in Iraq. Especially since Bono HAS gone on record earlier as being opposed to the Iraq War. What makes you think he might have changed his mind?

Dreadsox said:
A dedication to the troops does not equal a support of the war or against it.....

it is what it is....

a recognition of a group of people, a thank you, a prayer for them

Exactly. :up:

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:
Bono isn't Bono 1987 and just representing himself waxing political and argumentative about apartheid or any other issue in concert with no reprocussions.

He represents a faction who asked him to be their "leader" or spokesperson, and the easiest way for them to get from point A to point B is action, action, action. The easiest wasy to stymie the action, in this particular case is to directly insult the man who's heart neds to be won over. This isn't about Bono and a cause versus the big bad Iraq invaders. This is about am issue of emergency pleading the people who can help fix it. It's not a fuckign Bono issue. I thought this was as simple as 1-2-3.

He's trying not to play fucking politics with the issue.

I guess some people don't get it, yet. The difference between Africa and a political issue. Bono got it and the people he represents surely get it.

What Bono said on Conan the other night about the percentage of Muslims in Africa, was a direct link the war on terror.

In my opinion and what I've read/heard of Bono's and others on this subject, that left to their on devices and any group of radicals, the orphaned and uneducated children and young adults in Africa are open territory to any radical group of people that can offer hope in any form - but they won't know it's with a price to pay but they will be willing to pay it. (suicide bombers, etc.)

We and other countries will know, because they will be and are coming for us as we speak.

Countries that would allow for millions of people to die each year and do nothing will be the targets..
As they we already are..

Bono's shades said:

I said it came RIGHT AFTER that triology of songs, get it? And since we have a war going on right now and U2 is choosing to play those three songs back to back (and one of them is a song written recently, not one from years ago) l don't think it's a stretch to say they are trying to make a statement about the current situation in Iraq. Especially since Bono HAS gone on record earlier as being opposed to the Iraq War. What makes you think he might have changed his mind?

I never indicated that I thought BONO had changed his mind on anything. The war in Iraq is not the only war or conflict that is going on right now, so its a mistake to assume that x song is about x conflict, unless the band specifically says it is.

STING2 said:

I never indicated that I thought BONO had changed his mind on anything. The war in Iraq is not the only war or conflict that is going on right now, so its a mistake to assume that x song is about x conflict, unless the band specifically says it is.

Unless Bono assumes the position of one of the tortured Iraqi prisoners, which he does during that portion of the concert.

You can hem and haw and nitpick all you want, but Bono has stated that he does not support the war in Iraq, and he has not stated that he supports the "war on terror" whatever the hell that is nowadays.

Here's one for you, from The Sunday Times Magazine, dated November 7, 2004, page 35.

"So far, it's my job to give him [Tony Blair] applause for what he's done, even though I didn't agree with the war.... I believe that he's sincere...But sincerely wrong."

martha said:

and he has not stated that he supports the "war on terror" whatever the hell that is nowadays.

No he hasn't but every thing he does is directly involved in preventing a new generation of terror.

You know what it means, Martha..

Aid with accountability and Education and Medicine!!

He doesn't use the term "war on terror" he doesn't have too.

wait, didn't he end his bit on conan with something about how we don't just want to be known..this historical period...for the internet and for the war on terror, which are both noble things, or some such?
Or am I hallucinating again?
I've always assumed and thought i'd read quotes about how he's not happy about the war. Isn't he generally unhappy about any war really? Doesn't he prefer talking and alternate solutions? so I'm guessing he doesn't support terrorist tactics either, right? In Ireland or elsewhere?
I've always read his rhetoric on the percentage of africa that is muslim as a sort of cost-benefit anaylsis combined with a marketing scheme...part of his old (haven't heard it for almost a year I think) brand america deal. He for a while was saying we can increase the positive vibe the world associates with brand america if we spend a little more feeding and trading fairly with and giving our medicines without charging prince's sums for them etc ...he didn't use these words exactly. Nor did he say the other part much until conan--that it's cheaper isn't it then sending them down to defeat...what was the term he used? it was something warfare-ish...vanquishing?!.,,later. I thought that was a bit of a knock, but the beauty was it could be left to the imagination whether he thought it was good bad or indifferent to 'vanquish' as an enemy later. On the one hand it came off like a simple cost-benefit analysis. We should care (if nothing else, left omitted but implied) about africa now because it'll cost less in the long run. That's the argument he will sometimes (not always) pose in his speeches when I think he's trying to convince those who will ask 'so what's in it for me' ?
I actually liked his conan rap. Heard it before, but thought he presented it well to hopefully a new audience. yeah, i cringed when he said bush is doing a good job but i assumed he meant only on africa since he followed immediately with stats on that and as folks have said, he followed up with 'we don't have to agree on everything...' bit. even then, he quickly followed with an appeal to the people, that the pols will need to hear in a big way that this is of concern to we who elect them.
He really is in a lobbyist's role for the most part on this with the pols. He just can't be badmouthing them in very public forums (a little more leeway with NME or some such since Karl Rove probably doesn't catch that one very often) one minute and expecting them to take meetings with him the next.
the quote martha cites is pretty clearly critical of the war, no? but then he can get away with that in the UK waaay more easily...far greater anti-war sentiment there and far more commitment to the ONE campaign goals then in the US.

And one way to increase the level of people power I think is to have some successes and some visible sign that the powers that be are at least taking the fucking meetings with the movement organizers,who should be as sexy as possible, no? It's an important role and bono does it well, imho.
I liked his comparison to the NRA...that if they get the numbers they want they'll be bigger than the NRA! woohoo!
cheers!

Last edited:
The reality is that there are still hundreds of millions of American who don't know about the AIDS crisis. For those of us who know what's going on, Bono is preaching to the choir, but to many he isn't. He was talking to those who don't know, not those who do.

martha said:
Here's one for you, from The Sunday Times Magazine, dated November 7, 2004, page 35.

"So far, it's my job to give him [Tony Blair] applause for what he's done, even though I didn't agree with the war.... I believe that he's sincere...But sincerely wrong."

The difference is he can say that about Tony Blair, and Tony Blair can read it, and I doubt it will have any effect on Bono's ability to work with him. I suspect Blair and Bush are very different people. Look at how they've handled Iraq over the past 12 months.

I know and understand why Bono does it, but it still makes me cringe. It would be interesting to see if that ever snaps, if there's ever a point where he needs to raise the temper of the people.

I know a lot of people who simply cannot fathom it, even that photo of Bono and Bush, Bono giving the peace sign. It's kinda hard to explain, I know it leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths, even his own band it seems.

Anu said:
I know that our beloved B-man is soft on politicians generally as a tactic to get them to cooperate with debt relief and aid to Africa.

However, when Bono said that Bush was doing a great job on TV last night, my stomach turned. He soured an otherwise lovely evening of late night TV and a great 4-song set.

When Conan gave him the chance to speak eloquently about getting beyond the polarized either-or of Left-Right, he instead parroted his increasingly dated, rehearsed, and shallow rap about stopping poverty being part of the war and as big as the internet.

I wear my One bracelet and U2 fandom proudly, but Bono sometimes tests my love and admiration. He did last night.
Anu

It's the same feeling that clutches me.....................what happened to the bono who was a fly in the ears of politicians............

Re: Re: Bono's repetitious rap on Conan

babyman said:

It's the same feeling that clutches me.....................what happened to the bono who was a fly in the ears of politicians............

He wasn't trying to get anything out of the politicians then. He is now. Major difference.

Re: Re: Re: Bono's repetitious rap on Conan

verte76 said:

He wasn't trying to get anything out of the politicians then. He is now. Major difference.

Exactly. He isn't a "fly in the ear" anymore because, put simply, when you're trying to actually get something done with those politicians, THAT DOESN'T WORK. Sure pranking on the White House LOOKED cool back in the Zoo TV days - it was a real crowd-pleaser no doubt. But I think Bono's more concerned with actually changing some of the government's policies (such as its providing aid for Africa) now, and you simply can't get that done by heckling them. :huh:

I mean, why do you think Bono's been more successful and well-recieved than say, Michael Moore?

(Actually no one answer that last question because I'm sure that'd open up a whole other can of worms ;))

Earnie Shavers said:

The difference is he can say that about Tony Blair, and Tony Blair can read it, and I doubt it will have any effect on Bono's ability to work with him. I suspect Blair and Bush are very different people. Look at how they've handled Iraq over the past 12 months.

I know, but I was quoting it because there are a few Conservatives in this board who simply cannot understand that Bono isn't one of them.

Earnie Shavers said:

I know a lot of people who simply cannot fathom it, even that photo of Bono and Bush, Bono giving the peace sign. It's kinda hard to explain, I know it leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths, even his own band it seems.

Edge has said as much several times.

martha said:

I know, but I was quoting it because there are a few Conservatives in this board who simply cannot understand that Bono isn't one of them.

There are a few liberals on this board that cannot seam to accept that Bono is willing to work with many different types of people.

martha said:

Unless Bono assumes the position of one of the tortured Iraqi prisoners, which he does during that portion of the concert.

You can hem and haw and nitpick all you want, but Bono has stated that he does not support the war in Iraq, and he has not stated that he supports the "war on terror" whatever the hell that is nowadays.

Check out the 2001 year end issue of HOT PRESS Magazine with BONO on the cover and you will find that he does in fact support the war on terror as well as the invasion of Afghanistan.

Bono has stated that he wants the mission the US/Coalition troops are performing in Iraq to fail? That he wants them immediately to withdraw from the country? Please, site when and where he has stated this.

ShellBeThere said:
wait, didn't he end his bit on conan with something about how we don't just want to be known..this historical period...for the internet and for the war on terror, which are both noble things, or some such?
Or am I hallucinating again?
I've always assumed and thought i'd read quotes about how he's not happy about the war. Isn't he generally unhappy about any war really? Doesn't he prefer talking and alternate solutions? so I'm guessing he doesn't support terrorist tactics either, right? In Ireland or elsewhere?
I've always read his rhetoric on the percentage of africa that is muslim as a sort of cost-benefit anaylsis combined with a marketing scheme...part of his old (haven't heard it for almost a year I think) brand america deal. He for a while was saying we can increase the positive vibe the world associates with brand america if we spend a little more feeding and trading fairly with and giving our medicines without charging prince's sums for them etc ...he didn't use these words exactly. Nor did he say the other part much until conan--that it's cheaper isn't it then sending them down to defeat...what was the term he used? it was something warfare-ish...vanquishing?!.,,later. I thought that was a bit of a knock, but the beauty was it could be left to the imagination whether he thought it was good bad or indifferent to 'vanquish' as an enemy later. On the one hand it came off like a simple cost-benefit analysis. We should care (if nothing else, left omitted but implied) about africa now because it'll cost less in the long run. That's the argument he will sometimes (not always) pose in his speeches when I think he's trying to convince those who will ask 'so what's in it for me' ?
I actually liked his conan rap. Heard it before, but thought he presented it well to hopefully a new audience. yeah, i cringed when he said bush is doing a good job but i assumed he meant only on africa since he followed immediately with stats on that and as folks have said, he followed up with 'we don't have to agree on everything...' bit. even then, he quickly followed with an appeal to the people, that the pols will need to hear in a big way that this is of concern to we who elect them.
He really is in a lobbyist's role for the most part on this with the pols. He just can't be badmouthing them in very public forums (a little more leeway with NME or some such since Karl Rove probably doesn't catch that one very often) one minute and expecting them to take meetings with him the next.
the quote martha cites is pretty clearly critical of the war, no? but then he can get away with that in the UK waaay more easily...far greater anti-war sentiment there and far more commitment to the ONE campaign goals then in the US.

And one way to increase the level of people power I think is to have some successes and some visible sign that the powers that be are at least taking the fucking meetings with the movement organizers,who should be as sexy as possible, no? It's an important role and bono does it well, imho.
I liked his comparison to the NRA...that if they get the numbers they want they'll be bigger than the NRA! woohoo!
cheers!

BONO is not a pacifist. He supported the war in Bosnia and wanted earlier American military intervention as stated in Bill Flanigans Book "Until The End Of The World". In the 2001 year end issue of HOT PRESS with BONO on the cover, BONO states in general his support for the war on terror as well as the invasion of Afghanistan. He also states in the article that he is NOT a pacifist.

martha said:

No one here claimed that BONO supported the initial invasion of Iraq.

martha said:

Edge has said as much several times.

Thats incorrect. I don't know any conservatives on this board that made any claim that BONO had become a conservative. On the other hand, there are large number of "liberals" here who like to pretend that BONO supports everyone of their causes and has the same hatred and anger they have towards BUSH or any other conservative politician they don't like, and I've proven that is not the case. BONO has independent views that don't always match up with the typical "liberal" agenda.

STING2 said:

Bono has stated that he wants the mission the US/Coalition troops are performing in Iraq to fail? That he wants them immediately to withdraw from the country? Please, site when and where he has stated this.

Please. Quit your typical twisting and turning of words. Just because someone didn't support going into Iraq doesn't mean they want it now to fail. Give me a break.

Dreadsox said:

There are a few liberals on this board that cannot seam to accept that Bono is willing to work with many different types of people.

I'm one of them. I had a serious problem with him getting cozy with Jesse Helms, but as our dear Bono has said many times he'll deal with the Devil if he has to for this cause.

STING2 said:
In the 2001 year end issue of HOT PRESS with BONO on the cover, BONO states in general his support for the war on terror as well as the invasion of Afghanistan. He also states in the article that he is NOT a pacifist.

I don't seem to have that issue. Please transcribe the quotes for us so we can all stay on the same page.

If I am not mistaken, Bono did call the war on terror a "noble cause"......Thursday night, Conan's show.

But, the original point of this thread was not that. It was that he dared to say something positive about Bush and other republicans. He dared say that Africa was more important than other political differences.

I love the loyalty shown to Bono when he steps outside the box, and does not conform to the expectations of the left.

martha said:

I'm one of them. I had a serious problem with him getting cozy with Jesse Helms, but as our dear Bono has said many times he'll deal with the Devil if he has to for this cause.

Without putting words into your mouth, then the political differences between groups of people are more important than the potential for doing something to save lives?

Back
Top Bottom