Bono's Polictal Evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
He has evolved polictically it appears-over the years:)
Now, resident Liberals FEAR NOT he still is in your corner MOST of the time.:yes:

I remember in The 80s how he so hated anything Republican.
-Blasting Reagan from the stage.
-MFing this person/ that person. This made me stop and think a bit but not sell out my basic ideaologies:idea:

I think we ALL EVOLVED polictically and as ppl:)
Were you the SAME PERSON polictally speaking 15-20 yrs ago?
I m not.
I dont think Bono is either.
Fear not my liberal friends.:)

He is still in your corner but not afraid of confronting mispreceptions and dialoging w/the other side:idea:
Wouldnt it be nice if we all were as openminded as Bono?

It feels nice that Bono thinks outside of the political box.:yes:

Diamond:cool:

Last edited:
I once had a theory that an overwhelming majority of youngsters were liberal in their college years. Then when they graduate, get a career, marry, and buy a new SUV they tend to sofen their stance a bit and turn more conservative. Thats America anyway, but I am in a state where liberals are looked at like bums on the street corner. Thats why I welcome a change in our state government, as I said before I may actually vote democrat or independant for Governor. (please forgive me Lord)

As far as :bono: goes, it is fairly obvious he has toned himself down some. And he has opened up to other political dimensions as well. I think if it weren't for his chummy relationship with Clinton then he may have never been able to get in the door this time around with President Bush.

I say that because once he got around Clinton and saw a piece of the pie Bill had to deal with everyday, then maybe he gained newfound respect for the man behind the job as well. No matter if that man was Reagan, Bush, Nixon, or whomever else.

I was born 15 years ago. But I'm not sure my political views have changed much. I now know more about politics so I could easily say I'm a liberal, ar consrvative easily. The thing is, I'm not either. I agree and disagree with most of them. In a way everyone's views will change over time. It's just part of society.

I think Bono is more concerned with the injustices, and how he can help, than being aligned with liberals or conservatives.
Maybe he can be viewed more as a liberal, only because liberals tend to be more worried about this subjects.

Last edited:
rafmed said:
I think Bono is more concerned with the injustices, and how he can help, than being aligned with liberals or conservatives.
Maybe he can be viewed more as a liberal, only because liberals tend to me more worried about this subjects.
Good pt.
And finally the Reublicans learned a new word called "compassion":idea:.

DB9:cool:

z edge said:
I once had a theory that an overwhelming majority of youngsters were liberal in their college years. Then when they graduate, get a career, marry, and buy a new SUV they tend to sofen their stance a bit and turn more conservative.

I agree mostly with this, but I'm not so sure we should call it conservative in every case, I guess depends of each individual, in any case, people act more cautious with age, and the responsabilities of a family.

People still blast me for this, but I still think Bono is liberal, and is trying to work with the semi-hostile, but existing system. Activism, in the defiant sense of rioting and, in Bono's case, of singing his disgust, have often proved ineffective. Honestly, I tend to think that Bono learned a lot from his admiration of President Clinton, who juggled between social consciousness and deregulatory capitalism. Likewise, I tend to think that while Bono may privately be reviled at some of the Republican platforms, he has found it more advantageous to work with the existing system. Saying "fuck you" to Bush, in contrast, would have easily halted his "Drop the Debt" campaign and proved fruitless. I do believe Bono is more cunning than we'd like to give him credit for.

Melon

diamond said:

And finally the Republicans learned a new word called "compassion":idea:.

Yeah, and I'm still waiting for them to apply this newfound knowledge.

Melon

since Bono isn't form the US he probaly hardly ever thinks in terms of "liberal" and "conservative"

I agree with diamond that it does seem Bono has changed his way of presenting his political ideas

I agree with Melon that reasons why he has changed this may have to do with him using his smarts

Exactly, Melon

melon said:
People still blast me for this, but I still think Bono is liberal, and is trying to work with the semi-hostile, but existing system. Activism, in the defiant sense of rioting and, in Bono's case, of singing his disgust, have often proved ineffective. Honestly, I tend to think that Bono learned a lot from his admiration of President Clinton, who juggled between social consciousness and deregulatory capitalism. Likewise, I tend to think that while Bono may privately be reviled at some of the Republican platforms, he has found it more advantageous to work with the existing system. Saying "fuck you" to Bush, in contrast, would have easily halted his "Drop the Debt" campaign and proved fruitless. I do believe Bono is more cunning than we'd like to give him credit for.

Melon

That's what I think.

As for the comment about people being liberal when they were younger, and then becoming more conservative as they got older...that doesn't happen with everyone...my parents are still as liberal now as they were when they were younger (I know you weren't necessarily saying that was true of all people, but still...).

As for me, I consider myself to be liberal. I'm not really conservative-if I am at all it's only on maybe a couple issues here and there. When I turn old enough to be able to register to vote in October, I'll be voting Democrat/Independent. That's how I view myself right now.

Angela

diamond said:
It feels nice that Bono thinks outside of the political box.:yes:

Oh absolutely. He is unique. He isnt part of the herd, and doesnt think like them. Me neither. The very thought of it makes me sick.
I couldnt care less if something or someone is considered liberal, conservative or whatever. Whichever seems right, thats what I go with.
I myself am rebellious like a liberal, but cautious like a conservative. It is possible to be both. ;) I like it like that.

Avoid SUVs like the plague though! :yes:

razzle frazzle party line

Moonlit_Angel said:
When I turn old enough to be able to register to vote in October, I'll be voting Democrat/Independent.
Angela

:no:

that worries me. don't go into that booth and say "i'm going to vote for every independent or democrat." the only way that our country will see any progression is if people stop voting the party line like that. go out and research your candidates, read the paper, make sure you are informed about them, THEN make your decision.

in example, i live in minnesota, and i'm a liberal centrist. however, i foresee a vote for a republican senator because of his great work. of course, he happens to be an ex-democrat with liberal tendencies, but that's beside the point.

the point is never NEVER vote the party line.

and as for bono, i totally agree with melon in that he has become wiser about his approach. screaming about the problem only does so much. slapping on a suit and tie may be more irritating, but accomplishes goals, and that is what's important.

Umm.
I like how this thread is going but disagree that Bono is just "stomaching" or "holding his nose" in working w the Republicans .
Here are some reasons-

1- Bono was raised in a religously mixed home having learned to see alot of issues from differnt angles. He heard how his father married his mum in her church and that his mum and dad loved eachother, it was no sweat off his Pappy's back to do this-:idea:

2-In Israel 97 Bono said he symphathized w both the Jewish and Palestian ppl from stage. He said he had a similar feelings growing up in his homeland Ireland.
He then dedicated "One" to recently slain Jewish Polictal Leader. He didnt take sides.. :idea:

3-(I Atended shows in early mid-1980s) Firsthand observation-
-15 years ago if you would of suggested to Bono he would be screaming "USA!" from stage and GRABBING American Flags in Foreign contries and hugging them and said to him-
"Bono you will be supporting the US Troops in a war against terror and would be doing it on JohnnyCarson/Jay Leno Show- he would of slugged you on the spot...:yes:
Sorry he has evolved polictally :idea:
He is NOT of the same polictal mind he was in 1985 kids.

4-Lastly, from a my own personal expierence- the EARNESTY in his voice when on stage w him..asking me to 'pick him up'..IS the SAME way his voice IS EARNEST when talking of his Republican friends.
He loves all ppl. He didnt know what/who I was. He sounds the same in an affectionate way in talking of a few ..just a few;) Republicans on the tele.:)

A few ppl here may want to type-cast Bono as being a "MacPhisto" here .
He is not.
I believe his earnest voice and the sincerity of his eyes:)

Dont worry tho my Liberal friends he is STILL in your camp. He always will be.-
Look at it this way-YOU STILL have custody of Bono, we Republicans enjoy visitation rights w the little fellow..and he wants to stay w us a bit longer these days but ALWAYS will return home to you ok?
Feel better?;)

Peace
Diamond
:idea:

Last edited:
he is a very compassionate man.

diamond said:
1. I like how this thread is going but disagree that Bono is just "stomaching" or "holding his nose" in working w the Republicans .

diamond, i don't think you are getting it totally. we...well, i shouldn't speak for melon, so i will say i, what i was saying is not that he hasn't progressed, clearly he has. he has expanded his ability to see that it's more complicated that "fuck you" to whoever is in the presidential seat at the time. the size of the issues they are dealing with are gigantic, meaning that there will always be a thousand little things to consider for every minor decision.

his progression is that he is getting wiser. he is choosing his battles wisely and is figuring out what it is to be a semi-politician. whatever his strategy, it's working, and that's all that really matters.

I don't see anything in Bono's recent actions to suggest that he is straying from his liberal beliefs. Chumming with Bush on Drop the Debt is simply smart politics on Bono's part to secure what he wants. It isn't Bono embracing conservatism. Drop the Debt is a true liberal cause that simply enables conservatives like Bush to attach themselves to it for some nice photo ops...while allowing Bush to proclaim "hey, I'm compassionate". I, like Melon, am still waiting for the compassion to show itself in Bush's politics...but that's another matter.

Bono is a bleeding heart liberal...always has been since he's been in the public eye. I'm not sure how Bono's embracing of American flags and his lobbying efforts of the Bush admin for Drop the Debt establish him moderating his views or "visiting" conservatism. Every organization Bono is involved in is to the left of the political spectrum, from Amnesty Int'l, DATA, Drop The Debt, NetAid, Greenpeace, Feed the World, etc.

Bono is smart...he is using whomever is in control of Congress and the White House to secure money for what Bono believes are worthwhile goals. It just so happens that due to a Republican in the White House and a closely divided Congress it requires him to establish relationships with Republican leaders. It is about building a coalition to get Bono's job done and achieve results.

Suggesting Bono is less of a liberal today than, say 15 years ago, is a stretch. I could buy it if Bono suddenly embraced backing out of a Kyoto, applauding an all out attack on Iraq, or less economic aid for Aids research and assistance in Africa. But he hasn't embraced any true conservative policies to my knowledge...but he has USED conservatives to secure money for his liberal programs.

Like someone to blame said:

Bono is a bleeding heart liberal...always has been since he's been in the public eye. I'm not sure how Bono's embracing of American flags and his lobbying efforts of the Bush admin for Drop the Debt establish him moderating his views or "visiting" conservatism. Every organization Bono is involved in is to the left of the political spectrum, from Amnesty Int'l, DATA, Drop The Debt, NetAid, Greenpeace, Feed the World, etc.

Sorry to do this again Rob; but.......

The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, and that we cut off the oxygen supply to those crazy fanatics

-Bono, Austin Texas, November 5 2001

I think he has said before too that he wasn't much of a pacifist.

I saw 2 shows last year prior to 911, and 2 shows after 911. Big changes in :bono: IMO

I think he wants peace in the best possible way, but he realizes that we are gonna have to use force to enforce peace bro.

Once moment in Dallas, I helped a guy next to me hold up an Irish flag to :bono: during SBS. He looked at us like we were nuts and shook his head while making direct eye contact with us (ABEL and Like02 can verify) for a long moment before reaching past us and grabbing an American flag from somebody else.

I believe his sincereity brother Rob.

My old roommate always said...

"I'll be a Democrat until I can afford to become a Republican." :lol:

------

Bono working within the system?!... He must be a SLC Punk! :yes:

Again kids we have to go back to the Bono's sincerity..is it faked when he talks on CSPAN about his conseritive friends on CSPAN or the television.?

The liberals here say it is staged/faked..I say no.

MY Liberal friends BEFORE you answer that question DO NOT project your self image onto Bono. Just becuz you THINK Bono should think or act exactly like you should think/act..ect.

See you would be as guilty/ignorant as Rush Limbaugh making such a claim:eek:nmy:
He has already..-saying Bono is just wrapping himself in the American Flag to only sell records, scamming the American ppl laughing at us ect... You dont wanna come across as close -minded as Rush do you now?;)

Similarly this same type of transformation has happened in their music.
If every album was the same as War there would have been no musical growth...
Bono is not afraid to grow musically spiritually nor polictically.

Remember this---
if Bono can find "BEAUTY in THE OIL FIELDS" as suggested in his lyrics..he can find "BEAUTY " in some of the folk that own them;):lol:
Shouldnt you?:)

DB9
:lol:

z edge said:

Sorry to do this again Rob; but.......

The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, and that we cut off the oxygen supply to those crazy fanatics

-Bono, Austin Texas, November 5 2001

I don't know how this makes him "conservative." Lest we forget, all of the Democratic Congress (minus Barbara Boxer of CA) voted to support this terrorism police action. Or are we still reviving the stereotype that liberals are flowery, druggy, anarchist sissies?

Melon

Yeah...

Like someone to blame said:
I don't see anything in Bono's recent actions to suggest that he is straying from his liberal beliefs. Chumming with Bush on Drop the Debt is simply smart politics on Bono's part to secure what he wants. It isn't Bono embracing conservatism. Drop the Debt is a true liberal cause that simply enables conservatives like Bush to attach themselves to it for some nice photo ops...while allowing Bush to proclaim "hey, I'm compassionate". I, like Melon, am still waiting for the compassion to show itself in Bush's politics...but that's another matter.

Bono is smart...he is using whomever is in control of Congress and the White House to secure money for what Bono believes are worthwhile goals. It just so happens that due to a Republican in the White House and a closely divided Congress it requires him to establish relationships with Republican leaders. It is about building a coalition to get Bono's job done and achieve results.

Suggesting Bono is less of a liberal today than, say 15 years ago, is a stretch. I could buy it if Bono suddenly embraced backing out of a Kyoto, applauding an all out attack on Iraq, or less economic aid for Aids research and assistance in Africa. But he hasn't embraced any true conservative policies to my knowledge...but he has USED conservatives to secure money for his liberal programs.

Exactly.

And Lilly, sorry if what I said came out wrong, because I do intend to pay attention to all candidates in elections, and see where they all stand on things.

What I meant to say was that the majority of the time, chances are I probably will end up voting Democrat or Independent, because those are people I feel will, most of the time, do the best job in office (by the way, you live in Minnesota? Cool-I live in Iowa).

Angela

melon said:

Lest we forget, all of the Democratic Congress (minus Barbara Boxer of CA) voted to support this terrorism police action.

Actually, it was Representative Barbara Lee who voted against H.J. Res. 64; Representative Boxer voted for it.

~U2Alabama

melon said:

I don't know how this makes him "conservative." Lest we forget, all of the Democratic Congress (minus Barbara Boxer of CA) voted to support this terrorism police action.

It dosen't necessarily make him conservative, just shows that he is awake enough to realize what must be done

Or are we still reviving the stereotype that liberals are flowery, druggy, anarchist sissies?

Melon

yes, that was my point :sexywink:

Im ok w both parties and am a happily registered Republican.

ZEdge please control your testostorine;)

sorry about coming off so strongly

Moonlit_Angel said:

And Lilly, sorry if what I said came out wrong, because I do intend to pay attention to all candidates in elections, and see where they all stand on things.

Angela

i didn't mean to come across so strongly, and now as i re-read the post, i see i came across...well, more than strongly. and for that i sincerely apologize. i just don't like when people vote the party line. i'm all about the :heart:

diamond, quit stereotyping, it's obnoxious.

diamond said:
The liberals here say it is staged/faked..I say no.

MY Liberal friends BEFORE you answer that question DO NOT project your self image onto Bono. Just becuz you THINK Bono should think or act exactly like you should think/act..ect.

the liberals here...ok...well, i don't think it's faked and i'm a "liberal" here. so, that's one that's not falling into your stereotype. remember when fym was taken away? remember why it was taken away? from people saying such inane things.

i don't think bono should act and or think like me. in fact, i'm pretty pleased that he, as a 40 some year old man with a wife and children isn't going around acting like an 18 year old female.

Re: diamond, quit stereotyping, it's obnoxious.

Lilly said:

the liberals here...ok...well, i don't think it's faked and i'm a "liberal" here. so, that's one that's not falling into your stereotype. remember when fym was taken away? remember why it was taken away? from people saying such inane things.

i don't think bono should act and or think like me. in fact, i'm pretty pleased that he, as a 40 some year old man with a wife and children isn't going around acting like an 18 year old female.
Point taken Lilly, well said:)
You are a person first- who is not afraid of diversity as Bono is not afraid..:)
I dont think it was inane;)
or
mean:)
Only an observation having witnessed live performances of Bono for 20 yrs.
:)
Peace-

U2Bama said:

Actually, it was Representative Barbara Lee who voted against H.J. Res. 64; Representative Boxer voted for it.

~U2Alabama

Yes...I humbly stand corrected. :sexywink: I apologize for mixing up my Barbaras.

Melon

Re: sorry about coming off so strongly

Lilly said:

i didn't mean to come across so strongly, and now as i re-read the post, i see i came across...well, more than strongly. and for that i sincerely apologize. i just don't like when people vote the party line. i'm all about the :heart:

It's okay. You made a good point anyway. When voting, no matter what the party line, people should vote for who they honestly feel will be the best choice for president, who they truly believe will do the best job in office.

Anywho, yeah, that's okay about your reaction-I've been known to come across rather strongly when I'm talking to people about certain issues in the past myself, so...:).

Angela

I don't think Bono has become more conservative. I read an interview somewhere (sorry I can't remember exactly where) in which he said he is actually MORE angry now at the injustice in the world than he was when he was younger. I think the difference is he has learned that in order to get anything useful accomplished you have to work with those who have the power to change things, even if you don't agree with them politically. I think it shows a lot of maturity on his part. I think a lot of politicians, both on the left and the right, could learn a lesson from him.

Back
Top Bottom