Bono's Polictal Evolution. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2002, 01:12 AM   #16
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Like someone to blame

Bono is a bleeding heart liberal...always has been since he's been in the public eye. I'm not sure how Bono's embracing of American flags and his lobbying efforts of the Bush admin for Drop the Debt establish him moderating his views or "visiting" conservatism. Every organization Bono is involved in is to the left of the political spectrum, from Amnesty Int'l, DATA, Drop The Debt, NetAid, Greenpeace, Feed the World, etc.

Sorry to do this again Rob; but.......

The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, and that we cut off the oxygen supply to those crazy fanatics

-Bono, Austin Texas, November 5 2001

I think he has said before too that he wasn't much of a pacifist.

I saw 2 shows last year prior to 911, and 2 shows after 911. Big changes in IMO

I think he wants peace in the best possible way, but he realizes that we are gonna have to use force to enforce peace bro.

Once moment in Dallas, I helped a guy next to me hold up an Irish flag to during SBS. He looked at us like we were nuts and shook his head while making direct eye contact with us (ABEL and Like02 can verify) for a long moment before reaching past us and grabbing an American flag from somebody else.

I believe his sincereity brother Rob.

Old 08-03-2002, 02:03 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:43 AM
My old roommate always said...

"I'll be a Democrat until I can afford to become a Republican."

------

Bono working within the system?!... He must be a SLC Punk!

Old 08-03-2002, 09:28 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Again kids we have to go back to the Bono's sincerity..is it faked when he talks on CSPAN about his conseritive friends on CSPAN or the television.?

The liberals here say it is staged/faked..I say no.

MY Liberal friends BEFORE you answer that question DO NOT project your self image onto Bono. Just becuz you THINK Bono should think or act exactly like you should think/act..ect.

See you would be as guilty/ignorant as Rush Limbaugh making such a claimnmy:
He has already..-saying Bono is just wrapping himself in the American Flag to only sell records, scamming the American ppl laughing at us ect... You dont wanna come across as close -minded as Rush do you now?

Similarly this same type of transformation has happened in their music.
If every album was the same as War there would have been no musical growth...
Bono is not afraid to grow musically spiritually nor polictically.

Remember this---
if Bono can find "BEAUTY in THE OIL FIELDS" as suggested in his lyrics..he can find "BEAUTY " in some of the folk that own them
Shouldnt you?

DB9
Old 08-03-2002, 09:37 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by z edge

Sorry to do this again Rob; but.......

The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, and that we cut off the oxygen supply to those crazy fanatics

-Bono, Austin Texas, November 5 2001
I don't know how this makes him "conservative." Lest we forget, all of the Democratic Congress (minus Barbara Boxer of CA) voted to support this terrorism police action. Or are we still reviving the stereotype that liberals are flowery, druggy, anarchist sissies?

Melon
Old 08-03-2002, 11:13 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally posted by Like someone to blame
I don't see anything in Bono's recent actions to suggest that he is straying from his liberal beliefs. Chumming with Bush on Drop the Debt is simply smart politics on Bono's part to secure what he wants. It isn't Bono embracing conservatism. Drop the Debt is a true liberal cause that simply enables conservatives like Bush to attach themselves to it for some nice photo ops...while allowing Bush to proclaim "hey, I'm compassionate". I, like Melon, am still waiting for the compassion to show itself in Bush's politics...but that's another matter.

Bono is a bleeding heart liberal...always has been since he's been in the public eye. I'm not sure how Bono's embracing of American flags and his lobbying efforts of the Bush admin for Drop the Debt establish him moderating his views or "visiting" conservatism. Every organization Bono is involved in is to the left of the political spectrum, from Amnesty Int'l, DATA, Drop The Debt, NetAid, Greenpeace, Feed the World, etc.

Bono is smart...he is using whomever is in control of Congress and the White House to secure money for what Bono believes are worthwhile goals. It just so happens that due to a Republican in the White House and a closely divided Congress it requires him to establish relationships with Republican leaders. It is about building a coalition to get Bono's job done and achieve results.

Suggesting Bono is less of a liberal today than, say 15 years ago, is a stretch. I could buy it if Bono suddenly embraced backing out of a Kyoto, applauding an all out attack on Iraq, or less economic aid for Aids research and assistance in Africa. But he hasn't embraced any true conservative policies to my knowledge...but he has USED conservatives to secure money for his liberal programs.
Exactly.

And Lilly, sorry if what I said came out wrong, because I do intend to pay attention to all candidates in elections, and see where they all stand on things.

What I meant to say was that the majority of the time, chances are I probably will end up voting Democrat or Independent, because those are people I feel will, most of the time, do the best job in office (by the way, you live in Minnesota? Cool-I live in Iowa).

Angela
Old 08-03-2002, 12:56 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Lest we forget, all of the Democratic Congress (minus Barbara Boxer of CA) voted to support this terrorism police action.
Actually, it was Representative Barbara Lee who voted against H.J. Res. 64; Representative Boxer voted for it.

~U2Alabama
Old 08-03-2002, 01:34 PM   #22
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:

I don't know how this makes him "conservative." Lest we forget, all of the Democratic Congress (minus Barbara Boxer of CA) voted to support this terrorism police action.
It dosen't necessarily make him conservative, just shows that he is awake enough to realize what must be done

Quote:
Or are we still reviving the stereotype that liberals are flowery, druggy, anarchist sissies?

Melon
yes, that was my point
Old 08-03-2002, 01:50 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Im ok w both parties and am a happily registered Republican.

ZEdge please control your testostorine
DB9
Old 08-03-2002, 03:03 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

sorry about coming off so strongly

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

And Lilly, sorry if what I said came out wrong, because I do intend to pay attention to all candidates in elections, and see where they all stand on things.

Angela
i didn't mean to come across so strongly, and now as i re-read the post, i see i came across...well, more than strongly. and for that i sincerely apologize. i just don't like when people vote the party line. i'm all about the
Old 08-03-2002, 03:07 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Normal diamond, quit stereotyping, it's obnoxious.

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
The liberals here say it is staged/faked..I say no.

MY Liberal friends BEFORE you answer that question DO NOT project your self image onto Bono. Just becuz you THINK Bono should think or act exactly like you should think/act..ect.

the liberals here...ok...well, i don't think it's faked and i'm a "liberal" here. so, that's one that's not falling into your stereotype. remember when fym was taken away? remember why it was taken away? from people saying such inane things.

i don't think bono should act and or think like me. in fact, i'm pretty pleased that he, as a 40 some year old man with a wife and children isn't going around acting like an 18 year old female.
Old 08-03-2002, 03:29 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: diamond, quit stereotyping, it's obnoxious.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

the liberals here...ok...well, i don't think it's faked and i'm a "liberal" here. so, that's one that's not falling into your stereotype. remember when fym was taken away? remember why it was taken away? from people saying such inane things.

i don't think bono should act and or think like me. in fact, i'm pretty pleased that he, as a 40 some year old man with a wife and children isn't going around acting like an 18 year old female.
Point taken Lilly, well said
You are a person first- who is not afraid of diversity as Bono is not afraid..
I dont think it was inane
or
mean
Only an observation having witnessed live performances of Bono for 20 yrs.

Peace-
DB9
Old 08-03-2002, 03:49 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Actually, it was Representative Barbara Lee who voted against H.J. Res. 64; Representative Boxer voted for it.

~U2Alabama
Yes...I humbly stand corrected. I apologize for mixing up my Barbaras.

Melon
Old 08-03-2002, 08:02 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
I apologize for mixing up my Barbaras.
As long as you don't credit any quote of value to Barbara Wah-wah of ABC News, I will let everything else slide.

~U2Alabama
Old 08-04-2002, 02:41 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Re: sorry about coming off so strongly

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

i didn't mean to come across so strongly, and now as i re-read the post, i see i came across...well, more than strongly. and for that i sincerely apologize. i just don't like when people vote the party line. i'm all about the
It's okay. You made a good point anyway. When voting, no matter what the party line, people should vote for who they honestly feel will be the best choice for president, who they truly believe will do the best job in office.

Anywho, yeah, that's okay about your reaction-I've been known to come across rather strongly when I'm talking to people about certain issues in the past myself, so....

Angela
Old 08-05-2002, 07:36 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't think Bono has become more conservative. I read an interview somewhere (sorry I can't remember exactly where) in which he said he is actually MORE angry now at the injustice in the world than he was when he was younger. I think the difference is he has learned that in order to get anything useful accomplished you have to work with those who have the power to change things, even if you don't agree with them politically. I think it shows a lot of maturity on his part. I think a lot of politicians, both on the left and the right, could learn a lesson from him.