Bono's Iraq Peace Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
I don't think this has been posted anywhere yet, if it has, sorry about that....

Evening Standard
January 8, 2003

Bono's Iraq Peace Trip

Another fly in the ointment for George Bush. U2's frontman Bono is
planning to visit Iraq in the next couple of weeks -- to publicise the humanitarian crisis which would result from any war. Actor Sean Penn, who made a controversial visit to Baghdad last month, has been lobbying the Dubliner to follow in his tracks. "He's been putting pressure on him to follow suit," says Kathy Kelly, one of the American human shields Penn visited in Iraq. "Apparently he's going to come."

Bono is affectionately known within the corridors of the White House as "The Pest" and only last year George W. Bush paid him a generous tribute: "He has a willingness to lead, to achieve what his heart tells him, and a belief that nobody should be living in poverty in the world." Let's hope the visit doesn't sour their relations too much. A spokesman for Bono admits: "He is involved. To be honest I can't tell you straight off. We don't give out his plans."

wow! that would be amazing if Bono actually goes there. As much as I dont want to go to war, I think Saddam is up to something and if we have to go to war to find out or to stop it i think thats what we should do. I would much rather not have a war at all tho.

as much as i believe bono's heart is in the right place, i also think this might be kind of a bad idea. by putting his name on too many issues, he might start to be seen as insincere by the general public. sometimes i think it's a good idea to try and stay focused on one agenda, i.e. africa, and attempt to see that through first. right now he has few critics and people are (hopefully) starting to listen to him and agree with him that something needs to be done, and i would hate for the controversy in iraq to dampen his popularity. this could end up hurting him in the long run. despite the fact that there is possibly a massive humanitarian crisis looming in iraq, bono could be seen as a sean penn type (god forbid) - meaning someone who is seriously overstepping their boundaries and acting like an expert on something they don't fully understand.

I do not think that Bono's friend, Representative Tom Lantos (D-California) would like Bono going over to Iraq and buddying up with Saddam. Maybe Sean could get a Baldwin or Tony Shaloub to go over there with him instead.

~U2Alabama

I really hope this is just a rumour. Of course it's none of my beeswax if Bono goes to Iraq but what is he trying to accomplish by doing this?

oktobergirl said:
I really hope this is just a rumour. Of course it's none of my beeswax if Bono goes to Iraq but what is he trying to accomplish by doing this?

oktobergirl,

Since you have gone on record as opposing the war, I'm curious to know why you think Bono shouldn't visit Iraq.

oktobergirl said:

Sorry, but I have to agree. I would hate for him to come back looking like a big boob the way Mr. Penn did.

I just think its useless and I really wouldn't want him to risk his credibility.

Bush and Blair arent going to give a flying **** if Bono goes to Iraq to protest an attack.

Yes, I oppose the war. Bono can too. But why go to Iraq to do it? Sure it will bring about publicity but what is the end result? Is Bono going to be able to stop a war from happening?

I think the guy is amazing but even he can't do that.

my take = this-
bono may go but prolly wont.
if he goes Bush will call off the war.
if Bono stays behind we will go to war.

Bono is the only person/celebrity w credibility and substance.

last scenirio-
bono could visit and say-
we should go in and get rid of the tyrant.:adam: baffling everyone including the winging liberals..

than what?:huh:

db9

thank u.

Well I'll be the odd one out here and say I really admire Bono if this is true. It's very easy for people to just say they oppose war (okay, it's not always easy given the patriotism police crap at the moment, but you get my drift.) but it's an entirely different matter to actually *do* something about it, especially if doing something involves actually going to Iraq to publicise the horrendous consequences of a war.

For everyone who asked why go to Iraq - to get people's attention. Think about it - a celebrity makes an antiwar statement and how much coverage does it get in the media? Someone actually goes over to Iraq, meets the people who are going to suffer if this war goes ahead, tries to draw attention to their individual stories - that's going to get far more publicity.

I think almost everyone here welcomes Bono visiting Africa, drawing attention to the humanitarian disaster there. So why would you oppose him doing the same for the people in Iraq who are undoubtedly going to suffer a humanitarian disaster if their country is attacked.

I certainilty dont look forward to Bono becoming the media next laughing stock. Why wont he just focus on one thing instead of becoming over publized and making his word not as strong. Bono really is going to run himself into the ground.

Just make music!

Bono's American Wife said:

I would hate for him to come back looking like a big boob the way Mr. Penn did.

I'm pretty certain I heard that Penn said he was very disappointed..that he felt he had been used as propaganda by the Iraqis. Maybe I'm mistaken. It was a bit ironic though that someone so opposed to violence in Iraq has a rather sordid record of personal violence himself..whatever :rolleyes:

So why would he encourage Bono to go there? :huh:

Bono can do whatever he wants, obviously, but my gut feeling is that he shouldn't do this :|

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Well I'll be the odd one out here and say I really admire Bono if this is true. It's very easy for people to just say they oppose war (okay, it's not always easy given the patriotism police crap at the moment, but you get my drift.) but it's an entirely different matter to actually *do* something about it, especially if doing something involves actually going to Iraq to publicise the horrendous consequences of a war.

For everyone who asked why go to Iraq - to get people's attention. Think about it - a celebrity makes an antiwar statement and how much coverage does it get in the media? Someone actually goes over to Iraq, meets the people who are going to suffer if this war goes ahead, tries to draw attention to their individual stories - that's going to get far more publicity.

I think almost everyone here welcomes Bono visiting Africa, drawing attention to the humanitarian disaster there. So why would you oppose him doing the same for the people in Iraq who are undoubtedly going to suffer a humanitarian disaster if their country is attacked.

the difference, to me anyway, is that the population in sub-saharan africa has no means whatsoever to help themselves in their plight. nothing. that's why it's fair for ousiders to their situation to step in and help.

in iraq, the "citizens" (should be called prisoners) are in their plight because of an evil dictator who has used illegal poisons against them in order to keep them in line, tortured, murdered, stolen property and valuables....the list goes on. it would've been nice along the way if their was an uprising and they realized what he was doing, maybe overthrew him themselves, and set up a democracy of some sort.

but that isn't going to happen. now, I'm not saying that I have all the answers to this, and to be honest, if the U.N. inspectors don't come back saying "well, we've found xxxxxx examples of weapons of mass destruction and plots to use them" I'm not sure I approve of us going in there; the reason is that no one is going to back us up and we're going to look like greedy idiots in it only for the oil. however, if there really is evidence that saddam is secretly developing and planning to use these weapons, or to export them to someone who will, then there's no doubt we've got to be pro-active in the situation.

so, if the inspectors say "yes, he's got them"- we go.
if we go, then isn't there a plan in place where we supply humanitarian aid while the war is going on and continue to after it's over? I thought we did this in the gulf war?

This has disaster written all over it. He has worked so hard to establish himself and his "clout" with the politicians and the US general public. This would be seen as villifying the US on the world scene (as if this country needs anyone else to do that) and would go over like a lead balloon in Washington, as well as with the 'middle America' he has tried so hard to earn respect from for his causes. Colin Powell and all those highly placed officials he's fought so hard to win over will be infuriated and a lot of Americans will see him as a radical and anti-US. (Not to mention how little sympathy most Americans would have for the Iraqis, considering most of them would love to kill us all if they could and would rejoice in our demise, so it's hard to cry for theirs) I'm sure he only has goodwill in his heart, but this will piss off many Americans, almost all the high up ones, and who is he expecting to impress? It looks like a mistake to me.This would be a blow to DATA and the African cause I help him support. BTW, I oppose the war in Iraq myself, but this is a BAD MOVE for his public image in the US. He has toiled so hard to earn it let's not blow it now. He might be thinking that if we go to war with Iraq, the pocketbook will be squeezed and his causes will suffer, but nothing will make his causes suffer more than having their main spokesman look like he's making the US out to be bad guys. He is also likely thinking of his 'change the world image of the US' thing, but those people hate us and it will take generations to change their hearts IF their entire culture and mindset can be convinced we are not "the great Satan."

I am against the war with Iraq, and I am all for opposing it to Washington, but for God's sake, don't go to Iraq and make us look like bullies. It's the wrong approach. Take it from an American who knows Americans.

Desire4Bono said:
(Not to mention how little sympathy most Americans would have for the Iraqis, considering most of them would love to kill us all if they could and would rejoice in our demise, so it's hard to cry for theirs)
wow, I wasn't aware of that
anymore news you'd like to share with the group?

Originally posted by Salome
wow, I wasn't aware of that
anymore news you'd like to share with the group?

I'm saying that if sympathy for the Iraqi people is the only thing his trip is setting out to draw attention to, I don't think the majority of Americans or US Politicians give a rat's ass. Even the ones who oppose the war don't oppose it for that reason. Most of us think it was ignorant they didn't finish the job in '91 and don't want to hear about it now. If Saddam was such a bad guy then and he's a bad guy now, why wasn't he in between, because it didn't serve anyone political goals? That is sickening! So is the possibility of losing a large number of our young men to a cause many Americans do not see as an immediate threat and do not support with the money of our taxpayers and the lives of our people. As far as how other countries see it, the ones who hate us don't need any more ammo, and I think everyone has already made up their mind where they stand and this will only bring more condemnation of the US on the world scene and hurt him and his causes with the American general public. He will be seen as just another Hollywood peace type spouting off and all his hard work and political gains will be set back by the damage to his image.

To Ramfed: Yes the madness needs to be stopped, but this madness will not stop it, it will only bring trouble and destroy all the credibility Bono has gained in the US. If we want to stop the madness, call Washington, and attend rallies. The Vietnam war was forced to end because of the overwhelming public denouncement of it. We can do the same this time, and stop it before it starts or any lives are lost. I don't consider myself a liberal but this war is not a good thing in any way and I oppose it.

oktobergirl said:
I just think its useless and I really wouldn't want him to risk his credibility.

Bush and Blair arent going to give a flying **** if Bono goes to Iraq to protest an attack.

Yes, I oppose the war. Bono can too. But why go to Iraq to do it? Sure it will bring about publicity but what is the end result? Is Bono going to be able to stop a war from happening?

I think the guy is amazing but even he can't do that.

Right on Oktobergirl! His reputation is too valuable to be ruined by this ill advised move. I just read what someone posted on EYKIW, and I hadn't even thought of that- not only would it hurt his rep in the political field, it could damage U2's popularity in the US with fans. What a shame that would be! Remember the story of how Jane Fonda was hated when she went to Viet Nam? "Hanoi Jane" is still hated today by some. Do we need our beloved lead singer to become "Baghdad Bono?" :no: :( :sad: PLEASE, for U2, for DATA, for yourself, don't go Bono!

Last edited:
This is great. When U2 tour the US next, I'll be able to get tix for free and see them at the dive bar down the street. Maybe my band can help them get some shows. Stupid idea for him to go over there. I can already see the NY Post headlines "Baghdad Bono" w/ a picture of him shaking Saddam's hand.

Jane Fonda's case was a bit different--she met with North Vietnamese *soldiers*, not just ordinary citizens, *while the war was going on.* She posed in propaganda photos with American POWs who had to be tortured in order to be persuaded to take part. She called some of these POWs liars when they spoke of conditions in their camps.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
This is great. When U2 tour the US next, I'll be able to get tix for free and see them at the dive bar down the street. Maybe my band can help them get some shows. Stupid idea for him to go over there. I can already see the NY Post headlines "Baghdad Bono" w/ a picture of him shaking Saddam's hand.

How nice of you to offer to let U2 open for your band, but be sure all the objects thrown at "Baghdad Bono" are cleaned up before you take the stage, you might hurt yourself. ;):lol:

:ohmy:

I find myself agreeing with the esteemed Mr. Henry Rollins.

*shudders*

Perhaps Bono IS taking on too much...

guys, I think we're all missing the point: who cares in the grand scheme of things if his trip would hurt u2's image (besides larry)?

what would it actually accomplish? zero. bush & co. would not listen at all to what "the pest" has to say on this, and the trip would be meaningless. in other words, if bush decides, there's gonna be war whether bono goes or not.

and on the flip side, is he really gonna meet saddam? please. even bono wouldn't shake hands with a mass murderer.

Desire4Bono said:

How nice of you to offer to let U2 open for your band, but be sure all the objects thrown at "Baghdad Bono" are cleaned up before you take the stage, you might hurt yourself. ;):lol:

Actually, now that I think about it, If Bono does this I don't want U2 to open our shows, could hurt our career. Maybe we'll get Bruce Willis and his band? Yeah, that would be better. :)

Desire4Bono said:

I'm saying that if sympathy for the Iraqi people is the only thing his trip is setting out to draw attention to, I don't think the majority of Americans or US Politicians give a rat's ass.
ah, I thought you were saying re. the people of Iraq that most of them would love to kill us all if they could and would rejoice in our demise

my bad

I agree that Bono shouldn't go because him going there won't have any influence on the things that are going to happen
I don't think his or U2's image is a reason not to do this

[

I agree that Bono shouldn't go because him going there won't have any influence on the things that are going to happen
I don't think his or U2's image is a reason not to do this [/B][/QUOTE]

exactly.

So Bono's going to visit a country who's government assisted in the planning of the 9/11 attacks? And he also had firemen and policemen up on stage during U2 shows as a tribute to those who died in the attacks? This doesn't make sense.

What we're all forgetting is that this is a rumour. And in fact a false one. Here's an update from U2log.com:

Update: U2's publicist RMP London announced today that despite reports to the contrary, Bono will not be visiting Iraq. "There is no truth whatsoever to this story," a spokesperson said. "Bono continues to campaign for many issues relating to debt, AIDS and trade in Africa, but he has no involvement in this issue and no plan to visit Iraq."

MrBrau1 said:
So Bono's going to visit a country who's government assisted in the planning of the 9/11 attacks? And he also had firemen and policemen up on stage during U2 shows as a tribute to those who died in the attacks? This doesn't make sense.

dude, there's no proof saddam was involved in 9/11.

Back
Top Bottom