Bono's Iraq Peace Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JOFO said:

dude, there's no proof saddam was involved in 9/11.

Right, Muhammed Atta met w/ Iraqi Intelligence Officials in Germany to discuss the latest Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue and its effect on Islam.

womanfish said:
What we're all forgetting is that this is a rumour. And in fact a false one. Here's an update from U2log.com:

Update: U2's publicist RMP London announced today that despite reports to the contrary, Bono will not be visiting Iraq. "There is no truth whatsoever to this story," a spokesperson said. "Bono continues to campaign for many issues relating to debt, AIDS and trade in Africa, but he has no involvement in this issue and no plan to visit Iraq."

Excellent!

MrBrau1 said:

Right, Muhammed Atta met w/ Iraqi Intelligence Officials in Germany to discuss the latest Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue and its effect on Islam.

well, this is the first I'm hearing of this.
if that's the case shouldn't the u.s. be harping on this point to make a stronger case against iraq?

JOFO said:

well, this is the first I'm hearing of this.
if that's the case shouldn't the u.s. be harping on this point to make a stronger case against iraq?

Well, we know they met. What was actually discussed is not known. Perhaps they were just lovers, together on a weekend get-away . :)

I wonder if it was a rumor or if he changed his mind when he saw his fans were worried. Either way I'm glad he isn't going :sigh:

Ultravioletbabe said:
I wonder if it was a rumor or if he changed his mind when he saw his fans were worried.
I would be very disappointed in the man if the latter would be true

MrsSpringsteen said:

What would you do-pick up Saddam and spin him around?

Then while he was distracted, the US could defeat him. There's a plan! *e-mails GWB*

:tongue:

:lmao: :lol:

you're funny Mrs. S :wave: :sexywink:

Re: does Saddam own a SEXYVEST?

does Saddam own a SEXYVEST?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Now that was a choke and spit water through my nose moment if I ever had one.

You're killing me Wife of Bruce :lol:

:hug:

:lol: you girls crack me up...

on a side note, i wonder if he ever was considering it in the first place...i mean, was it true then plans changed, or was it a blatant rumor?

Stories for Boys said:
on a side note, i wonder if he ever was considering it in the first place...i mean, was it true then plans changed, or was it a blatant rumor?

I really hope it was just a rumor. I still can't see what good could possibly come from it. Its dangerous and could seriously hurt the credibility he has worked hard to gain in the other issues he supports.

Stories for Boys said:
:lol: you girls crack me up...

My take is that this was pure rumor from the start. Maybe started by that henry Rollins dude.

"...no truth whatsoever to this story" and "he has no involvement in this issue" sounds pretty much like it was a rumour to begin with.

I'm glad Bono's going to Iraq was just a rumor. I don't think there would be a chance in hell that his going would make any difference whatsoever on Bush's war plans. After all, Sean Penn's trip didn't exactly have much of an effect, besides his getting torn apart in the media. I think Bono needs to stick with the problems in Africa, where he actually does have a chance to make a difference.

diamond said:
bono
is
no
ambassador "spicolie"
fast times at ridgemont high:angry:

"I Don't Know".......I like the sound of that....hmmm....is bono going to iraq?.....gee mr. hand, "I Don't Know". does iraq have weapons of mass destruction?....."I don't know".

someone order a pizza?

I found this article today, thought you guys might be interested:

State Department seeks boost to advance wars on terrorism, AIDS

State Department seeks boost to advance wars on terrorism, AIDS
Fri Jan 3,11:29 AM ET
By BARRY SCHWEID, AP Diplomatic Writer

WASHINGTON - The State Department is seeking substantial budget increases to fight the global AIDS (news - web sites) epidemic and to counter terrorism, including more than $1 billion in new funds to tighten security at embassies, U.S. officials say.

High on the department's wish list is $100 million to hire an additional 399 officers for Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites)'s initiative to promote U.S. foreign policy, said the officials, speaking only on condition of anonymity.

The battles against terrorism and AIDS, a more quiet foe that claimed 3.1 million lives around the world in 2002, have helped shape the department's request to the White House budget office for the fiscal year that begins Oct. 1.

President George W. Bush (news - web sites) is to submit his budget for fiscal 2004 to Congress early next month. In the meantime, Congress has not completed action on the department's spending requests for the current fiscal year, which include more than $16 billion to combat terrorism.

The 2004 budget will aim to sustain a broad effort against terrorism that involves economic assistance, foreign military training and economic development.

A wave of anti-American and anti-Western sentiment has translated into attacks and spurred increased security at U.S. embassies.

Powell's initiative is designed to fill vacancies in the foreign service and to place new emphasis on teaching foreign audiences what the United States is trying to accomplish.

A senior department official declined to provide the precise amount that department would seek in counterterrorism spending.

Powell, meanwhile, has given high priority to the struggle against the HIV (news - web sites)/AIDS epidemic.

"The positions we hold in our governments give our voices resonance at home and abroad," he told a group of foreign ambassadors last month. "We can and must use our voices to convince others of the urgency and gravity of this global problem."

Powell said every nation ? regardless of its size, economic status or political strength ? is vulnerable to the disease.

As the department prepared its requests, six former national security advisers who have served both Democrats and Republicans asked Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites), who now holds the job, to support a substantial increase in foreign spending.

In real terms, foreign spending was 30 percent higher during the Reagan administration, they wrote Rice.

"Our diplomats will play a critical role in assembling coalitions that will defeat global terrorist organizations, and they need the tools to do the job," they said in a letter obtained by The Associated Press.

The six former officials ? Frank C. Carlucci, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Anthony Lake, Richard V. Allen, William P. Clark and Brent Scowcroft ? said they were confident Congress and the public would support a substantial increase in spending.

The boost, they said, "will serve as a vital complement to military and intelligence upgrades in this country's long battle against global terror."

The projected increase in spending to combat AIDS drew a mixed reaction from the Global AIDS Alliance, which links more than 60 groups worldwide.

Dr. Paul Zeitz, executive director, said he was encouraged but also said $2.5 billion in new funds, a three-fold increase over current spending, was essential to finance prevention, treatment and other programs.

The Congressional Black Caucus (news - web sites), in a letter to Bush last month, said "it would be impossible to overstate the devastation caused to date by the global AIDS pandemic or the need for a greater response from the United States."

The caucus said 42 million people are living with HIV/AIDS, 29.4 million of them in sub-Saharan Africa, and 14 million children have bveen made orphans by the disease.

Being totally naive here, but do you guys really think the U.S. have the financial capacity to support both actions? Or do they conflict budgetwise?

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
So Bono's going to visit a country who's government assisted in the planning of the 9/11 attacks? And he also had firemen and policemen up on stage during U2 shows as a tribute to those who died in the attacks? This doesn't make sense.

he also said "Kiss my a**, Osama" in the fine irish tradition

i think he might be safer with Salman Rushdie

I wouldn't think he'd even consider going to a country like that, remember he allegedly has a 'fatwa' (death sentence) on his head? Remember how he took up for Salman Rushdie? Bono wouldn't be any safer than an American over there.

Back
Top Bottom