Bono's Iraq Peace Trip - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2003, 10:53 AM   #16
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Local Time: 08:34 AM
This has disaster written all over it. He has worked so hard to establish himself and his "clout" with the politicians and the US general public. This would be seen as villifying the US on the world scene (as if this country needs anyone else to do that) and would go over like a lead balloon in Washington, as well as with the 'middle America' he has tried so hard to earn respect from for his causes. Colin Powell and all those highly placed officials he's fought so hard to win over will be infuriated and a lot of Americans will see him as a radical and anti-US. (Not to mention how little sympathy most Americans would have for the Iraqis, considering most of them would love to kill us all if they could and would rejoice in our demise, so it's hard to cry for theirs) I'm sure he only has goodwill in his heart, but this will piss off many Americans, almost all the high up ones, and who is he expecting to impress? It looks like a mistake to me.This would be a blow to DATA and the African cause I help him support. BTW, I oppose the war in Iraq myself, but this is a BAD MOVE for his public image in the US. He has toiled so hard to earn it let's not blow it now. He might be thinking that if we go to war with Iraq, the pocketbook will be squeezed and his causes will suffer, but nothing will make his causes suffer more than having their main spokesman look like he's making the US out to be bad guys. He is also likely thinking of his 'change the world image of the US' thing, but those people hate us and it will take generations to change their hearts IF their entire culture and mindset can be convinced we are not "the great Satan."

I am against the war with Iraq, and I am all for opposing it to Washington, but for God's sake, don't go to Iraq and make us look like bullies. It's the wrong approach. Take it from an American who knows Americans.

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 01-09-2003, 10:57 AM   #17
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono
(Not to mention how little sympathy most Americans would have for the Iraqis, considering most of them would love to kill us all if they could and would rejoice in our demise, so it's hard to cry for theirs)
wow, I wasn't aware of that
anymore news you'd like to share with the group?

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-09-2003, 11:04 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 07:34 AM
I hope Bono goes there, someone has to do something to try to stop this madness of war :UP:
Old 01-09-2003, 11:04 AM   #19
Refugee

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
wow, I wasn't aware of that
anymore news you'd like to share with the group?
I'm saying that if sympathy for the Iraqi people is the only thing his trip is setting out to draw attention to, I don't think the majority of Americans or US Politicians give a rat's ass. Even the ones who oppose the war don't oppose it for that reason. Most of us think it was ignorant they didn't finish the job in '91 and don't want to hear about it now. If Saddam was such a bad guy then and he's a bad guy now, why wasn't he in between, because it didn't serve anyone political goals? That is sickening! So is the possibility of losing a large number of our young men to a cause many Americans do not see as an immediate threat and do not support with the money of our taxpayers and the lives of our people. As far as how other countries see it, the ones who hate us don't need any more ammo, and I think everyone has already made up their mind where they stand and this will only bring more condemnation of the US on the world scene and hurt him and his causes with the American general public. He will be seen as just another Hollywood peace type spouting off and all his hard work and political gains will be set back by the damage to his image.

To Ramfed: Yes the madness needs to be stopped, but this madness will not stop it, it will only bring trouble and destroy all the credibility Bono has gained in the US. If we want to stop the madness, call Washington, and attend rallies. The Vietnam war was forced to end because of the overwhelming public denouncement of it. We can do the same this time, and stop it before it starts or any lives are lost. I don't consider myself a liberal but this war is not a good thing in any way and I oppose it.

Quote:
Originally posted by oktobergirl
I just think its useless and I really wouldn't want him to risk his credibility.

Bush and Blair arent going to give a flying **** if Bono goes to Iraq to protest an attack.

Yes, I oppose the war. Bono can too. But why go to Iraq to do it? Sure it will bring about publicity but what is the end result? Is Bono going to be able to stop a war from happening?

I think the guy is amazing but even he can't do that.
Right on Oktobergirl! His reputation is too valuable to be ruined by this ill advised move. I just read what someone posted on EYKIW, and I hadn't even thought of that- not only would it hurt his rep in the political field, it could damage U2's popularity in the US with fans. What a shame that would be! Remember the story of how Jane Fonda was hated when she went to Viet Nam? "Hanoi Jane" is still hated today by some. Do we need our beloved lead singer to become "Baghdad Bono?" PLEASE, for U2, for DATA, for yourself, don't go Bono!

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 01-09-2003, 11:14 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

This is great. When U2 tour the US next, I'll be able to get tix for free and see them at the dive bar down the street. Maybe my band can help them get some shows. Stupid idea for him to go over there. I can already see the NY Post headlines "Baghdad Bono" w/ a picture of him shaking Saddam's hand.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:21 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Jane Fonda's case was a bit different--she met with North Vietnamese *soldiers*, not just ordinary citizens, *while the war was going on.* She posed in propaganda photos with American POWs who had to be tortured in order to be persuaded to take part. She called some of these POWs liars when they spoke of conditions in their camps.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:21 AM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
This is great. When U2 tour the US next, I'll be able to get tix for free and see them at the dive bar down the street. Maybe my band can help them get some shows. Stupid idea for him to go over there. I can already see the NY Post headlines "Baghdad Bono" w/ a picture of him shaking Saddam's hand.
How nice of you to offer to let U2 open for your band, but be sure all the objects thrown at "Baghdad Bono" are cleaned up before you take the stage, you might hurt yourself.

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 01-09-2003, 11:24 AM   #23
War Child

I find myself agreeing with the esteemed Mr. Henry Rollins.

*shudders*

Perhaps Bono IS taking on too much...
Old 01-09-2003, 11:25 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:34 PM
guys, I think we're all missing the point: who cares in the grand scheme of things if his trip would hurt u2's image (besides larry)?

what would it actually accomplish? zero. bush & co. would not listen at all to what "the pest" has to say on this, and the trip would be meaningless. in other words, if bush decides, there's gonna be war whether bono goes or not.

and on the flip side, is he really gonna meet saddam? please. even bono wouldn't shake hands with a mass murderer.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:28 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

How nice of you to offer to let U2 open for your band, but be sure all the objects thrown at "Baghdad Bono" are cleaned up before you take the stage, you might hurt yourself.
Actually, now that I think about it, If Bono does this I don't want U2 to open our shows, could hurt our career. Maybe we'll get Bruce Willis and his band? Yeah, that would be better.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:03 PM   #26
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:

I'm saying that if sympathy for the Iraqi people is the only thing his trip is setting out to draw attention to, I don't think the majority of Americans or US Politicians give a rat's ass.
ah, I thought you were saying re. the people of Iraq that most of them would love to kill us all if they could and would rejoice in our demise

my bad

I agree that Bono shouldn't go because him going there won't have any influence on the things that are going to happen
I don't think his or U2's image is a reason not to do this
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-09-2003, 12:14 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

[

I agree that Bono shouldn't go because him going there won't have any influence on the things that are going to happen
I don't think his or U2's image is a reason not to do this [/B][/QUOTE]

exactly.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:52 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

So Bono's going to visit a country who's government assisted in the planning of the 9/11 attacks? And he also had firemen and policemen up on stage during U2 shows as a tribute to those who died in the attacks? This doesn't make sense.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:57 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

What we're all forgetting is that this is a rumour. And in fact a false one. Here's an update from U2log.com:

Update: U2's publicist RMP London announced today that despite reports to the contrary, Bono will not be visiting Iraq. "There is no truth whatsoever to this story," a spokesperson said. "Bono continues to campaign for many issues relating to debt, AIDS and trade in Africa, but he has no involvement in this issue and no plan to visit Iraq."
Old 01-09-2003, 12:57 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
So Bono's going to visit a country who's government assisted in the planning of the 9/11 attacks? And he also had firemen and policemen up on stage during U2 shows as a tribute to those who died in the attacks? This doesn't make sense.

dude, there's no proof saddam was involved in 9/11.