Bono's Company Elevation planning on - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Bono's Company Elevation planning on

Purchasing Take Two Software (creators of Grand Theft Auto series)

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...sn=001&sc=1000

Does this contradict Bono's messages??

Old 02-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:05 AM
It means that Bono plays Grand Theft Auto because he likes getting hookers, killing them, and getting his money back afterwards.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 02:05 PM
If Take Two still owns the publishing rights and distribution royalties, then yes.

Just because they created it, doesn't mean they still own it.

Maybe it does mean that they have significant creative and technical expertise that might be better off in the right hands.

Bono and Ali built Edun as a model for responsible commerce, I doubt he would let Elevation run amok.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Depends on the type of purchase, but Elevation will acquire the rights to the GTA series and licensing royalties from future sales.

Elevation is probably after some talent and other IP owned by the company.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
If Take Two still owns the publishing rights and distribution royalties, then yes.

Just because they created it, doesn't mean they still own it.

Maybe it does mean that they have significant creative and technical expertise that might be better off in the right hands.

Bono and Ali built Edun as a model for responsible commerce, I doubt he would let Elevation run amok.
I sure hope you are right.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:05 AM
I don't see how this is an issue.

(GTA is a kickass game. )
Old 02-08-2006, 01:26 AM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Depends on the type of purchase, but Elevation will acquire the rights to the GTA series and licensing royalties from future sales.
If that's the case, I hope Bono responds to criticisms. I'd like to hear it.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:36 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:05 AM
Er, I thought Bono was simply one member of Elevation Partners and it's not solely his company?

And honestly, I don't see the issue here. I don't see Bono supporting the game, and even if he did, I still wouldn't see an issue because it's just a video game.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-08-2006, 05:30 AM   #9
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
I don't see how this is an issue.

(GTA is a kickass game. )
same here
Old 02-08-2006, 05:33 AM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:

If that's the case, I hope Bono responds to criticisms. I'd like to hear it.
what criticisms??
that one of several companies he's on a board of owns a company that made a game that is rated 18 and has content to match that rating?

i just don't see the problem, but then i've never understood the backlash against video games, GTA in particular.

I was reading an article the other day about someone calling for the banning of the game because their 14 year old started with threatening behaviour after playing it.
point to note: the 14 year old SHOULDN'T be playing it, thats why it has a rating of 18 and is perfectly suitable for people over that age.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by digsy

what criticisms??

i just don't see the problem, but then i've never understood the backlash against video games, GTA in particular.
The article that was linked was pretty critical and I'm sure there are others.

I don't particularly have a problem with GTA or other video games but for those that do and make a media stink about it, would be nice to hear what Bono's response would be since the day before that was announced, he was asking Americans to rise to a higher standard.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:19 AM   #12
New Yorker

Quote:

The article that was linked was pretty critical and I'm sure there are others.

I don't particularly have a problem with GTA or other video games but for those that do and make a media stink about it, would be nice to hear what Bono's response would be since the day before that was announced, he was asking Americans to rise to a higher standard.
i guess when i asked "what criticisms" i meant "why the criticism"

personally i just dont see the issue here.
its a video game for crying out loud, its not like Bono has endorsed gang violence and run around waving an automatic rifle. hell, he's only on the board of a company thats probably made countless other games, he's not animating the pools of digital blood himself.

while i don't know what this call to rise to a higher standard was, i dont see how anyone can draw parallels between the humanitarian efforts bono makes and the reflection of a video game on soceity.

i think my problem with it is that i've never bought any of this "video games/movies endorse violence" bullshit and therefore i dont see any conflicting mesasges between bono's debt relief/save the world efforts and being part of a video game company.

and there'll be those that argue that kids shoot their friends after playing video games, but thats why games, like movies, have ratings and kids shouldn't be playing them.
people need to be responsible with that.

and as for the article and the story of the gang going on a rampage in the style of the game, i refuse to believe that, had these guys not played that game, they wouldn't have hurt a fly - people like that have violence in them, it was gonna come out with or without GTA. no originally stable person sits down, watches something and decides its a good idea to re-enact it, those issues are there long before they pick up the PS2 controller.

And yes, i love GTA - i get a kick out of running over policemen and starting a rampage on opposing gang members with a flame-thrower.
does that mean that i'm not allowed to do anything worthwhile with my life now beacuse i'd be contradicting the message!
no
why??
BECAUSE IT'S A FICTIONAL GAME!!!

why don't people get that?

as for Bono having to answer to this bullshit...
if i were him i'd just pull out my uzzi and blast the heads off the nearest bastards before running over them repeatedly in my stolen gang-car
Old 02-08-2006, 10:30 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Re: Bono's Company Elevation planning on

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

Does this contradict Bono's messages??
The first thing that crossed my mind was the same question. If the sale actually goes thru (remember the big buyout rumors about Tomb Raider's company), wonder how it will be handled.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #14
The Fly

it only bothers me because I think of Bono and U2 in the boston dvd doing that incredibly moving rendition of bullet the blue sky with the anti-NRA message, the "business of bitter tears" he calls it.
GTA, while i enjoy it, glamourizes a gangster lifestyle and i would be bothered by a mostly self-described pacifist like bono involved in the selling of that game
Old 02-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by digsy
while i don't know what this call to rise to a higher standard was, i dont see how anyone can draw parallels between the humanitarian efforts bono makes and the reflection of a video game on soceity.
At the prayer breakfast last week, Bono asked Americans to rise to a higher standard and increase foreign aid.

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't a parallel between a war-mongering country ignoring millions of people dying for no rational reason and profiting from a fictional violent video game.

But those in the media who would like to continue to ignore Africa will jump at any opportunity to discredit Bono and his message in any way they can.