Bono's Comments on Terrorism - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and that face is white, evangelical, SUV-driving, rendition-supporting, torture-accepting, vaguely racist, angry, scared, and desperately in need of someone and something to hate.

it's the face of the modern Republican party.
I've just yesterday read an article about a study that focussed on people's behaviour and decisions when they have just been made aware of their own death:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/35278.php
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/...le.cfm?id=1660
The researchers did several testings as to how we are influenced in our political views, our tast in arts and lots of other things, and though I wouldn't agree with the researcher on the point that the Bin Laden video three days before election day was the sole reason for Bush gettin re-elected, there is a terryfying correlation.

I agree, Bono is managing it pretty well to speak his mind, yet keeping that support for his causes, and I think this is more effective that to be all too honest all the time.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 05:06 PM
Quote:
he's that committed that he will even sit on his hands about some of the most controversial issues
????

Do you really think he is sitting on his hands about controversial issues?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:

and that face is white, evangelical, SUV-driving, rendition-supporting, torture-accepting, vaguely racist, angry, scared, and desperately in need of someone and something to hate.

it's the face of the modern Republican party.
What is the word for the opposite of "nuanced"?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

What is the word for the opposite of "nuanced"?

now, now -- i gave you a whole bunch of adjectives.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
i just think that over the years he has diluted his opinions somewhat. and i think much of that has to do with his outreach, and his commitment to getting everyone on board to fighting extreme poverty. people can take all these bits of quotes from interviews for publications and interpret what they will, but even in the biography (such as in conversation) he has admitted that although it is not the easiest thing to do, he will be more careful with what he says in regards to politics because he doesn't want to lose support for his cause.
I agree - I think he is trying to "sell" the idea of the One Campaign's goal to as large an audience as possible. The neocons are probably a harder sell than other groups, and he has used the return on investment argument more recently. It also seems that his agenda has take more of a backseat lately - i.e. the top issues on the upcoming G20 summit are the weak dollar, trade, high energy prices, etc. IMO, he will face more of a challenge in getting support for his ideas as developed economies face ever-increasing challenges of their own.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:06 PM
Re: Re: Bono's Comments on Terrorism

Quote:

just real quick here -- does anyone read this and think that Bono is saying that the people who are saying "despicable" things about America were wrong? because i don't. i think he's saying that the US has let the world down with Iraq, with Abu Ghraib, and that we are better than this, that we have high standards to live up to, and we haven't been doing that over the past 6 years.
You are so right. He is totally saying that we should be better than that... and sadly this is not the case in more ways than one. It's heartbreaking what has become of this country.

I honestly don't think that Bono can blast off and speak his mind freely on this whole issue regarding the war and the destructive road the Bushies have led us down.
He must be diplomatic and very mindful that he cannot make enemies in Washington.

Also I have to say that Bono has inspired me so much to stand up against injustice in the world so naturally a part of me really misses the pissed off Bono of the old JT days!!!
I really miss those times when he could just spout off in anger!
It was inspiring!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Anyone else read Alistair Campbell's diary?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I read this today and thought it was interesting, in light of the comments Bono makes about the connection between poverty and terrorism.

http://www.american.com/archive/2007...es-a-terrorist
Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:06 AM
^The lack of evidence for a link between poverty and terrorism by Islamic fundamentalists should be matched by actual correlations.

Like that neat study into the over-representation of engineers in Islamist movements compared to other revolutionary organisations.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:43 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I think Bono has been taken a lot of flack for holding back (too much, some say) on the issue of criticizing the Bush administration. He's trying to be bipartisan in his approach towards tackling world poverty, he's not endorsing any party, so, to an extend, it's understandable. He also said in the RS interview that he didn't talk to Bush directly about Iraq because he has seen it as some sort of abuse on his part. And I really don't believe Bush would give a damn about what Bono thinks about Iraq. The only thing that could really happen is Bono would be denied further access to the White House, which would be bad.

I guess it's not easy for him to balance this. However, when asked in interviews, I think he always makes his opinion on this issue quite clear. Unlike others, he isn't interested in unreflected America-bashing, he tries to see both sides. He's strategic and pragmatic, he has a different idea of "revolution" or "rebellion" than many others.

I like his comments, they are quite sensible and well-balanced. Bono has said many times in the past, that he's a fan of America but that being a fan also means being a critic. He applauds Bush for his efforts in the fight against poverty but he believes that this is one of the few positive things the president has done.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
is this some kind of twisted attempt to make Bono into some sort of neocon?
No, but I don't blame people for mistaking "neocon" for "modernist" or just being plain-old "principled."

Many neocons were "leftist" (by 1940s standards) modernist academics who didn't take the 1960s and the arrival of postmodernism/relativism all that well. In particular, they tend to be heavily patriotic, and look at the aftermath of WWII and the Marshall Plan as evidence of America's greatness, where we slay an evil entity and use this moment to turn our enemies into powerful allies.

Fast forward to the 1960s, and these neocons perceive the Left as having lost all their principles. They take issue with words like "tolerance," because it implies that they'd have to tolerate people like Hitler if he were still alive; in other words, they believe that there are moments when it is perfectly acceptable to hate someone, and their modernist--and, by extension, futurist--tendencies are still intact. They want to see a world where it's always the end of WWII, and the U.S. is instrumental in overthrowing oppressive regimes and transforming a "Nazi Germany" into a powerful democratic, capitalist nation like today's Germany. It is, in many ways, the classic utopian fantasy of "world peace," coupled with the Trotskyite notion of "permanent revolution" to achieve it (although they would most vigorously disagree with the latter analogy here).

By the election of Ronald Reagan, these now-nominally Democratic neocons find a president who shares their ideas of "permanent revolution," and jump to the Republican Party, where they easily integrate and many become part of the presidential inner circle. It should be noted that Reagan, himself, had a similar background to these neocons. Reagan was a registered Democrat, and was even a stated admirer of Franklin Roosevelt and the New Deal, but, unlike the neocons who left, due to foreign policy and philosophical shifts in the Left, Reagan left, because he thought that they had become the party of "big government." Nevertheless, it didn't take much for Reagan and the neocons to adopt each other's passions, and this is probably why Reagan had a series of military campaigns and spent heavily on the military during his presidency.

But I digress, to a point. The reason one might try and interpret Bono's article here as "neocon" is because it's essentially "modernist/futurist" in scope. And, yes, neocons, at their ultimate core, are modernists too. But it's my belief that "neoconservatism" is defined much more narrowly on the basis of philosophy (modernism, infused with the philosophy of Leo Strauss) and all the other baggage I listed above.

At the core, I do think it is time for the Left to figure out what it stands for today, and to put in all the heavy lifting involved to justify it philosophically and logically. I do think that these vague, ill-defined notions of "tolerance" and "pacifism" don't always stand up to vigorous academic scrutiny, and that's where we get into trouble, as then we let all the fanatics do the defining for us, whether its hawkish neocons on one end or reactionary religious fundamentalists on the other. Nature, after all, abhors a void.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 10:06 PM
^ interesting post, Melon.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

????

Do you really think he is sitting on his hands about controversial issues?
yes?

Quote:
Originally posted by last unicorn
I think Bono has been taken a lot of flack for holding back (too much, some say) on the issue of criticizing the Bush administration.
actually i disagree. he's won the hearts of many on any side of any issue, because he has chosen to publicly stand firm and tall on one single issue. i think he is receiving a lot more support now for doing so. he even said himself "eliminating stupid poverty is something we all can agree on." to be honest, i think that most of the criticism he faces has less to do with his neutrality. however, if one just closely reads some of the interviews that aren't published in the big magazines/papers (for example, especially in conversation), it is quite clear where he stands.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

however, if one just closely reads some of the interviews that aren't published in the big magazines/papers (for example, especially in conversation), it is quite clear where he stands.
Yes, he is a self professed pacifist.

I have heard him say that in several interviews.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by last unicorn
And I really don't believe Bush would give a damn about what Bono thinks about Iraq. The only thing that could really happen is Bono would be denied further access to the White House, which would be bad.

That's the whole point, he needs access to the White House so yes, he does give a damn how Bush sees him.... he must be very careful with the words he uses.
And I do think Bush and his admin would hold it against him if B was more out spoken about the war.