Bono: What's always bothered me about the fundamentalists is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]What's always bothered me about the fundamentalists is that they seem preoccupied with the most obvious sins. If those sins, sexual immorality and drug addiction, come out of unhappiness, then I am sure God wants to set people free of that unhappiness. But I couldn't figure out why the same people were never questioning the deeper, slyer problems of the human spirit like self-righteousness, judgementalism, institutional greed, corporate greed.You only have to look to unfair trade agreements that keep the developing world inthe Dark Ages to see the hypocrisy I'm talking about. These people talk about debasing a culture. What about the debasing of hundreds of thousands of real lives.[/Q]

Bono p. 167

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Corporate greed is at least as bad as any other kind of sin, as is ignoring the AIDS crisis in Africa. We are practically ignoring the AIDS pandemic in Africa, and this is a colossal sin. I have my doubts about the "hierarchy of sins" with sexual sins at the top. This has more to do with our orientation as a society than the true, harmful degree of evil, I believe. People have their priorities screwed up big time I think.

Last edited:
seem preoccumpied

I guess a generalization of fundamentalists can lead you to such a conclusion on the one side.

If we could simply acknowledge (1) sin as sin and (2) we are all sinners, it would be a lot easier to work on the underlying problems together.

YES SIR BONO!!

BONO really helps me see the picture as am still a christian today.

Scary when you hear the likes of Bush, Falwell, etc.

dandy said:

third that...

i think that book is going to be a fantastic read.

I started it at 100 this afternoon. It is EXCELLENT.

nbcrusader said:

I guess a generalization of fundamentalists can lead you to such a conclusion on the one side.

If we could simply acknowledge (1) sin as sin and (2) we are all sinners, it would be a lot easier to work on the underlying problems together.

I don't think he's generalizing--I think he's speaking from experience. I've read two sources stating that Shalom was a fundamentalist group.

Also, he's made the "sin is sin & we are all sinners" statement himself in at least one article that I have read. Thus his puzzlement that some overemphasize sexual sins, etc.

But what about self-righteousness and judgementalism? I think that's the most interesting thing about his remark. It's easy for someone to judge and say "This is wrong" or "You're a sinner" [how many times do we do that here? ;)]. It's harder to realize you are judging and try to fix it. I mean, what are more guilty of: judging others or being gay?

One of my favorite bible passages is John 3:16-17. Everyone knows John 3:16 -- For God so loved the world that he sent his only Son yada yada. But John 3:17 says "Indeed, God did not send his Son to judge the world but to save it." If Jesus wasn't sent as a judge and all these Christians feel they can judge because they live a live based on Christ's teachings, isn't that hypocritical?

sharky said:
If Jesus wasn't sent as a judge and all these Christians feel they can judge because they live a live based on Christ's teachings, isn't that hypocritical?

*Nods* I would think so. From what I've understood, God is to do the judging, not his followers.

Anywho, I'd have to agree with Bono on this one :up:. I'm gonna have to look for that book, it sure sounds like it'd be an interesting read.

Angela

What I find to be very true is fundalmentalist do focus on certain sins. For them to deny that is ludacris. We wouldn't have a push for gay marriage bans if this wasn't true. They'd be pushing for the denying of divorcees, corporate sluts, or alcoholics positions in church. Yet divorcees are pastors, corporate sluts are contributers, and alcoholics are presidents in which they trust and worship. The only sin in my old church which has brought an asking for resignation is homosexuality, the rest are under the radar!!!

I think Bono is going to surprise, upset but hopefully enlighten a lot of people who are more fundamentalist-orientated in their "Christianity" with HIS OWN WORDS in this new book.

BONO WILL FINALLY GIVE HIS OWN INTERPRETATION OF HIS CHRISTIANITY and thus make it impossible for others to try to bend his Christianity to their own jaded point of view.

Bless you, Bono.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:angel:

Speaking of judgemental.....

:huh:

He also spends a great deal of time talking about how he has been working with conservatives and republicans without making them feel like they don't belong.

Last edited:
Jamila said:

BONO WILL FINALLY GIVE HIS OWN INTERPRETATION OF HIS CHRISTIANITY and thus make it impossible for others to try to bend his Christianity to their own jaded point of view.

Because that is what it is all about, proving that my Christianity is better than your Chrisitanity?

The book has given some insight into Bono and his beliefs, but until you read the book, you should really not make assumptiona baout his intentions in the book.

He so far, 2/3rds of the way through has mentioned his ability to work with funadamentists and others not necessarily affiliated with his causes. He has not mentioned their jaded point of view.

But hey:dancing: It's all about proving that we are better than others isn't it!

:applaud:

Jamila said:
I think Bono is going to surprise, upset but hopefully enlighten a lot of people who are more fundamentalist-orientated in their "Christianity" with HIS OWN WORDS in this new book.

Bless you, Bono.

So what you're hoping for is that Bono basically says

"I hate all conservative Christians", and "every single person that doesn't give to AIDS causes will burn in hell"

Bono has pretty much summed up what bothers me about some people who claim to speak about morality. Dr. Laura, who you all know I hate with the intensity of a thousand suns, is always preaching against pre-marital sex, sex education, the coarseness of pop culture, and Janet Jackson's nipple. But I have never ever heard her preach against corporate greed and unethical behavior, countless African children dying of preventable diseases or the fact that over 40 million Americans do not have health insurance. But then again, Dr. Laura is a cunt.

Jamila said:

Bless you, Bono.

If you can't guess someone's interpretation of Christianity based on how they act and what they say, then they're just being a hypocrite anyway. I can see how Bono interprets Christianity already. Some of it I admire, some of it I disagree with. I don't really think we need a book to tell us that obviously Bono is not a fundamentalist.

Wow. I didn't know the book was out yet. I'm going to Amazon.com right now to order it. I've been very interested in this book ever since I first heard about it.

Golightly Grrl said:
Bono has pretty much summed up what bothers me about some people who claim to speak about morality. Dr. Laura, who you all know I hate with the intensity of a thousand suns, is always preaching against pre-marital sex, sex education, the coarseness of pop culture, and Janet Jackson's nipple. But I have never ever heard her preach against corporate greed and unethical behavior, countless African children dying of preventable diseases or the fact that over 40 million Americans do not have health insurance. But then again, Dr. Laura is a cunt.

Who is Doctor Laura? By the sounds of it she does sound like a cunt. You're so right alot of fundamentalists seem to ignore what's really important. I mean what matters more a couple getting it on before marriage or a child starving do death? What do American's with no health insurance do for healthcare.? In the U.K. healthcare is free. In saying that you do have to wait ages for an appointment.

Dr. Laura is also Jewish...I think??? Why would we be ranting about her in a thread about Christianity?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

We pay, a LOT, or just go without help.

Pay for a private policy, pay a portion through employer plan or pay through outrageous tax structure, either way, you always pay.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

We pay, a LOT, or just go without help.

I can't believe that anybody finds that acceptable in the wealthiest nation in the world. I really can't.

Back
Top Bottom