Bono: What's always bothered me about the fundamentalists is - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2005, 11:54 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 07:59 AM
What I find to be very true is fundalmentalist do focus on certain sins. For them to deny that is ludacris. We wouldn't have a push for gay marriage bans if this wasn't true. They'd be pushing for the denying of divorcees, corporate sluts, or alcoholics positions in church. Yet divorcees are pastors, corporate sluts are contributers, and alcoholics are presidents in which they trust and worship. The only sin in my old church which has brought an asking for resignation is homosexuality, the rest are under the radar!!!

Old 04-23-2005, 07:26 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:59 AM
I think Bono is going to surprise, upset but hopefully enlighten a lot of people who are more fundamentalist-orientated in their "Christianity" with HIS OWN WORDS in this new book.

BONO WILL FINALLY GIVE HIS OWN INTERPRETATION OF HIS CHRISTIANITY and thus make it impossible for others to try to bend his Christianity to their own jaded point of view.

Bless you, Bono.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....

Old 04-23-2005, 07:59 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Speaking of judgemental.....

He also spends a great deal of time talking about how he has been working with conservatives and republicans without making them feel like they don't belong.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila

BONO WILL FINALLY GIVE HIS OWN INTERPRETATION OF HIS CHRISTIANITY and thus make it impossible for others to try to bend his Christianity to their own jaded point of view.
Because that is what it is all about, proving that my Christianity is better than your Chrisitanity?

The book has given some insight into Bono and his beliefs, but until you read the book, you should really not make assumptiona baout his intentions in the book.

He so far, 2/3rds of the way through has mentioned his ability to work with funadamentists and others not necessarily affiliated with his causes. He has not mentioned their jaded point of view.

But hey It's all about proving that we are better than others isn't it!

Old 04-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I think Bono is going to surprise, upset but hopefully enlighten a lot of people who are more fundamentalist-orientated in their "Christianity" with HIS OWN WORDS in this new book.

Bless you, Bono.

So what you're hoping for is that Bono basically says

"I hate all conservative Christians", and "every single person that doesn't give to AIDS causes will burn in hell"
Old 04-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Bono has pretty much summed up what bothers me about some people who claim to speak about morality. Dr. Laura, who you all know I hate with the intensity of a thousand suns, is always preaching against pre-marital sex, sex education, the coarseness of pop culture, and Janet Jackson's nipple. But I have never ever heard her preach against corporate greed and unethical behavior, countless African children dying of preventable diseases or the fact that over 40 million Americans do not have health insurance. But then again, Dr. Laura is a cunt.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Bless you, Bono.

If you can't guess someone's interpretation of Christianity based on how they act and what they say, then they're just being a hypocrite anyway. I can see how Bono interprets Christianity already. Some of it I admire, some of it I disagree with. I don't really think we need a book to tell us that obviously Bono is not a fundamentalist.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #23
War Child

Wow. I didn't know the book was out yet. I'm going to Amazon.com right now to order it. I've been very interested in this book ever since I first heard about it.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #24
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:59 AM
I can't wait to read this!

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
Bono has pretty much summed up what bothers me about some people who claim to speak about morality. Dr. Laura, who you all know I hate with the intensity of a thousand suns, is always preaching against pre-marital sex, sex education, the coarseness of pop culture, and Janet Jackson's nipple. But I have never ever heard her preach against corporate greed and unethical behavior, countless African children dying of preventable diseases or the fact that over 40 million Americans do not have health insurance. But then again, Dr. Laura is a cunt.
Who is Doctor Laura? By the sounds of it she does sound like a cunt. You're so right alot of fundamentalists seem to ignore what's really important. I mean what matters more a couple getting it on before marriage or a child starving do death? What do American's with no health insurance do for healthcare.? In the U.K. healthcare is free. In saying that you do have to wait ages for an appointment.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Dr. Laura is also Jewish...I think??? Why would we be ranting about her in a thread about Christianity?
Old 04-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nickypiemcg
What do American's with no health insurance do for healthcare.?
We pay, a LOT, or just go without help.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:00 PM   #28
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Pay for a private policy, pay a portion through employer plan or pay through outrageous tax structure, either way, you always pay.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I can't believe that anybody finds that acceptable in the wealthiest nation in the world. I really can't.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #30
Babyface

What book are you referring to ( p 167 ? ) ?