Bono wants a United States of Africa... - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
Unimaginable on another country? I don´t think so. Then why did the EU create an own army of 100,000 soldiers? Why are the bureaucrats from Brussels so eager to establish their own multi billion arms deals?

No, Vincent, declaring war is possible anytime with the criminals there. But of course, we call it humanitarian. We want to bring "peace" to our world, call it "interventions", just like the U.S. In the name of democracy we continue to steal the raw materials and resources from Africa!

France is heavily exporting arms. Beautiful Mme. Sarkozy is married to a butcher. Media loves them. Of course.. many Europeans are happy we haven´t seen a war, but I´ll tell you what, it´s not that far off. Ask your parents for a moment what has changed on the news, in the language, in our national/ militarist pride, even the wording has become more violent. Long term strategy my dear. Our leaders are working on making war socially acceptable.

Call me pessimistic, but the only reason we didn´t have a big war since WW II is that all our history is so ugly, bad, devastating, shocking and bloody that 2 generations learned something. The third generation forgets.. it makes a difference whether you have lost 60% of your friends and family (like our grandmothers and -fathers) OR if you only discussed the Nazis in school and at night you beat up punks with the gang.
I'm afraid it didn't come through: My point is, it is unimaginable that Germany and France, or Spain and Italy, or whichever two countries of the European Union plus Norway and Switzerland (well, they would be neutral anyways) declare war on each other today. What is in 20 years, no one knows, though I doubt that even then Europe will be in war with each other.

And well, I'm really not as pessimistic as you.

Exploitation of resources is a serious problem, and I would concur that European and other Western businesses are acting immorally, but nevertheless I don't see our countries preparing for attacking the world.
And as being one of the third generation, I see my generation as becoming more aware of how we treat the world and the "less fortunate", and becoming more willing to bring about a positive change.

But in the end it probably always comes down to how you look on things, and what you focus your attention on.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
this:

quote JCOSTER: "the name should be changed to something else that would not offend many people in the US."

(but the quote is possibly more arrogant than funny)
I am not saying that it will offend people in the US, but I can see based on people being intolerant of Bono and his efforts that some people would be.

I don't think my quote was arrogant nor am I.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOSTER View Post
I don't think my quote was arrogant nor am I.
No but you're delusional though, calling a popular rock star as your beloved.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:43 AM
^
Old 06-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #65
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
ouch
Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Coming from you I take that as a compliment.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:43 AM
How is that a compliment? Anyway, good day to you! Hope you and Bono live happily ever after.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #68
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:43 PM
It's no big deal, she's using the term affectionately since she's been a Bono fan since day one, before they even visited the US. I don't think JC has any delusions about anything of that sort.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #69
Forum Moderator

Yes, that was an unnecessary cheap shot and came across as rude.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 06-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
So this UofAfrica idea strikes me as completely and utterly unworkable, regardless of how some people on the continent may feel. It isn't practical at this point, it isn't achievable, and frankly I don't think it's desirable either. Successful infrastructure, which is what Africa most importantly lacks, is built on a local level, and then expanded. The creation of an overseer bureaucracy would do absolutely nothing positive for the people on the ground.
While I agree that US-level integration is unworkable, unpractable, unachievable, and undesirable, and that EU-level integration is at the very least the first 3 of those as well, you are wrong about infrastructure. Regional integration (see: ECOWAS in West Africa) is really key for infrastructure development, because regional planning of rail and roads, regional sharing of power sources and costs, etc are both necessary to achieve Western-level development and more cost-effective. Furthermore, landlocked countries can develop all the roads/rail they want and it won't do them a spec of good if they still don't have coastal access.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Regional infrastructure is the desirable end result. But regional infrastructure has actually been failing increasingly since the 1960s because essentially what you are doing adding further layers of corruption on top of one another and then wondering why there is no positive effect.

Regional infrastructure on the border of Angola/Namibia is a good example. The unrest in Angola has made it completely unworkable, so that you're pretty much left with swamp land.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
How is that a compliment? Anyway, good day to you! Hope you and Bono live happily ever after.
I did consider you a friend here, and thought you knew me here too, that I was just kidding.....BUT, I guess I was totally wrong.

and thanks Bonocomet.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:43 PM
Hey now don't pick on JC. She is one of the kindest people here.
We her.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphop View Post
Unimaginable on another country? I don´t think so. Then why did the EU create an own army of 100,000 soldiers? Why are the bureaucrats from Brussels so eager to establish their own multi billion arms deals?

No, Vincent, declaring war is possible anytime with the criminals there. But of course, we call it humanitarian. We want to bring "peace" to our world, call it "interventions", just like the U.S. In the name of democracy we continue to steal the raw materials and resources from Africa!

France is heavily exporting arms. Beautiful Mme. Sarkozy is married to a butcher. Media loves them. Of course.. many Europeans are happy we haven´t seen a war, but I´ll tell you what, it´s not that far off. Ask your parents for a moment what has changed on the news, in the language, in our national/ militarist pride, even the wording has become more violent. Long term strategy my dear. Our leaders are working on making war socially acceptable.

Call me pessimistic, but the only reason we didn´t have a big war since WW II is that all our history is so ugly, bad, devastating, shocking and bloody that 2 generations learned something. The third generation forgets.. it makes a difference whether you have lost 60% of your friends and family (like our grandmothers and -fathers) OR if you only discussed the Nazis in school and at night you beat up punks with the gang.
Interesting post.

As you may be aware, there is no Lisbon treaty referendum in most European countries (best not give ordinary voters the right to vote on this treaty, after all, they may make a mistake and come up with the wrong answer.)

The Eurofederalists are an anti-democratic, self-serving, corrupt elite.

But, when Margaret Thatcher pointed this out twenty years ago, left wingers villified her. It's probably why, ultimately, her political career was ended.

Just sayin'.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannieco View Post
Hey now don't pick on JC. She is one of the kindest people here.
We her.

Thank U.

Tags
africa, bono