Bono is Named One of Time's "People of the Year"! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Bono is Named One of Time's "People of the Year"!

Bono, along with Bill and Melinda Gates, have been named Time's "People of the Year" for 2005.

You can read about it on the Time website:

http://www.time.com/time/

There are also some GREAT pictures on the website too!

http://www.time.com/time/personofthe..._name_of_love/

And here's a report from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/18/time.poy/index.html

CNN) -- The good deeds of an activist rock legend and one of the world's richest men and his wife carried the day in 2005, as Time magazine on Sunday named U2 frontman Bono and philanthropic couple Bill and Melinda Gates as its "Persons of the Year."

"Sudden disasters get the big headlines, but day after day other tragedies of avoidable dimensions unfold: The one child who dies of malaria in Africa every 29 seconds, the one person who is infected with HIV every 6.4 seconds, the 8 million who die every year because they are too poor to stay alive," Time's managing editor Jim Kelly writes.

"And who is proving most effective in figuring out how to eradicate those calamities? In different ways, it is Bill and Melinda Gates, co-founders of the world's wealthiest charitable foundation, and Bono, the Irish rocker who has made debt reduction sexy."

The Gateses, the magazine notes, "spent the year giving more money away faster than anyone ever has."

In January, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation committed $750 million to improving access to child immunizations, accelerating introduction of new vaccines and strengthening vaccine delivery systems.

The foundation focuses on education, global health, improving public libraries and supporting at-risk families, according to its Web site. The Gateses awarded grants to schools in Texas, Colorado and Massachusetts, as well as the Lutheran World Relief program, which received $640,000 to help nomadic communities in Niger avert food crises.

Bono was one of the organizers behind this year's Live 8 concerts in nine cities worldwide. The concerts were aimed at getting the leaders of the world's nations leaders to come to the aid of impoverished Africa. They did so at the G8 summit, agreeing to double aid to Africa to $50 billion by 2010 and cancel the debts of the poorest nations.

"Bono charmed and bullied and morally blackmailed the leaders of the world's richest countries into forgiving $40 billion in debt owed by the poorest," the magazine said.

In addition, Bono is a co-founder of the DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) organization, which fights poverty and HIV in the developing world. From that organization was spawned the ONE Campaign to Make Poverty History.

--------------------------------------------------

This award has been long overdue for Bono and I'm overjoyed that it has finally arrived.

CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU, BONO for all that you are and for all that you do in our world.

It is a blessing to have you amongst us. May we learn to better follow your example of co-existence, tolerance and your willingness to sacrifice your personal time to make this world a more just place for the world's poorest people.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:11 AM
Very predictable choice.

They should have given it to the doctors working in Iraq.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:11 PM
yeah I agree with financeguy, I said as much in the zoo confessionals.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 03:11 AM

As I mentioned in U2 News........it's a good positive choice........

Old 12-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 07:11 PM
Quote:
Bono was one of the organizers behind this year's Live 8 concerts in nine cities worldwide...In addition, Bono is a co-founder of the DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) organization
and like i said in ZC, what about the others who were behind these great things? don't they also deserve the recognition? clearly, bono is not soley responsible.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

well I think Bono got it along with Bill and Melinda Gates? who knows...my further thoughts can be found in ZC as well.

Old 12-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I was disappointed that Bob Geldof was not chosen.

Time magazine chose these people because they felt it was more important to recognize those who see pain in our world and try to do something POSITIVE about it rather than to dwell in negativity.

Personally, I think that sort of reasoning is sound.

I wish there was some more positivity around here.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 07:11 PM
what i mean is, there are others who worked just as hard at organizing and founding these things. why does bono alone receive the credit? i was just throwing the thought out there for discussion.

other than that, i am proud of him, whether i feel he deserves it or not. i have always been proud of being a fan of a band that has done so much.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:06 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't see any negativity, simply people stating their opinion that there might have been better choices.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I really don't understand why I wasn't chosen.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Well perhaps for every choice there is a better choice, as is often the case with the Nobel Peace Prize. But that doesn't necessarily make the choice crummy, I think Bill and Melinda Gates and Bono are deserving of *some* honor for what they've managed to accomplish. It wasn't easy, and they sure as hell didn't have to do it. Here are people who could be drinking martinis on the French Riviera and instead are working their asses off on helping the less fortunate.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

BVS there's always next year...

I agree verte (although I'm sure Bono's had his fair share of martinis at his villa in the south of France )...just some thoughts.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #13
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
the only thing I really hate is the magazine cover...
Old 12-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
BVS there's always next year...

Thanks. Maybe some sunglasses will help.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
I'm happy with Time's Choice of naming Bono as one of the Persons of the year award.'

I also fully agree with verte76 in saying that not a lot of people are willing to be so out there with the suffering of the African people. Yea, he could have done the normal stupid Celebrity cliches like drinking the night away and going to a lot of clubs...but I think he wants the people of Africa to get the same medical treatments as America or Europe. I can also understand why he's so vocal too....and yea I do understand that other people helped Bono with DATA and the likes.....but I think that Bono needs to be out there and be vocal so that the plight can be understood a little bit more.