Bono got a little carried away.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Calling himself "the little lord Jesus" as he was leaving the stage at the end of 40?

I think he is the equivalent of a modern day prophet for sure....

But this really turns people off when he goes over the top.

Thoughts?

Was it? Could be....not something that would surprise me.

Wasn't there so I can't really say much, but knowing a little bit of Bono's humor I would say it's tongue in cheek. A play on the persona that the media once gave him.

Am I the only one who has friends that are not big on the band because of Bono's slightly inflated ego?

I wish I had heard it myself....It sounds like a great show.

Bono gave the performance last night a B- .... LOL

the guitarist was a 10 though he said...

Dreadsox said:
Am I the only one who has friends that are not big on the band because of Bono's slightly inflated ego?

I have a few that give me a hard time, but I can usually point out the ego of their own hero and they shut up.

My ex-wife and I had debates about who had the bigger ego Bono or Billy Corgan...had nothing to do with our divorce though. At least I don't think so...:hmm:

deep said:
his bandmates probably call him that

when he starts speaking Aramaic
we can start to worry

Rumor has it Johnny Damon was speaking Aramaic last fall in the playoffs....:wink:

Honestly, I think it was him jesting at himself....putting himself down in a way. Did Bruce recently tell him he had the biggest Messianic complex in rock after all? I think it was just a self-inflicted joke and slapdown.

Hi!

Don't see the purpose. But I just happen to be particular of the words I choose......if that's Mr. B's.......well so be it.

carol
wizard2c
:|

Dreadsox said:

No you aren't. It was actually one of the things that helped turn me off too (and still can make me a bit queasy).

He's an incredibly easy mark -- he's a pompous little guy with a silly nickname and a huge ego. And the omnipresent sunglasses don't help matters any either.

Yeah, Bono comes in for quite a bit of razzing from several of my friends (me too :D ). I'm pretty sure he doesn't really give a rat's ass though. :wink: And before you get too bent out of shape, realise we do it to everyone, even, and sometimes especially, our faves.

Dreadsox said:
Calling himself "the little lord Jesus" as he was leaving the stage at the end of 40?

I think he is the equivalent of a modern day prophet for sure....

But this really turns people off when he goes over the top.

Thoughts?

It was clearly a joke, and a reference to Springsteen's mention of his messiah complex in the HOF induction speech.

I know plenty of people who don't like U2 simply because of Bono, and I think even most diehard U2 fans certainly have moments where they cringe. However, it's the persona and reputation he wanted and built, so I'm sure he's used to dealing with the (often considerable) backlash. This particular comment is not well thought out, but is obviously intended simply to be a joke.

I think it was sarcastic and tongue in cheek, I just laugh off comments like that when he makes them. Sometimes I tell myself it's the "devilish" little boy side of Bono, which I find appealing. You have to admit many men have the same side to them :wink:

Yes people I know are turned off by Bono because of comments or what they perceive as his huge ego. I'm no "shrink" obviously, but my instincts about him are that he covers up the insecure side of himself w/ all of that. Perhaps people who are devoted U2 fans, whatever that means but just for lack of a better word, can put all of that ego stuff in a larger context of who Bono is, of all facets of him.

Also Johnny Damon is Jesus, don't mock that :angry: :wink:

Anyone who needs the 40 mp3 from SD, just post your e-mail here or in my journal and I'll try to send it-it's 8.something MBs

I can't listen to it again right now, but how does he call himself that? What is the entire context? Did he point to himself or something? :wink: Maybe someone who was there can give an account

I agree that it was all part of his self-deprecating humor. Bono can appear very pompous and over-the-top, but if you really listen to what he says about himself, he's very humble. When it comes to the band though, that's where the big talk comes in.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Also Johnny Damon is Jesus, don't mock that :angry: :wink:

Anyone who needs the 40 mp3 from SD, just post your e-mail here or in my journal and I'll try to send it-it's 8.something MBs

consider it posted: firstchoicesafety @telus.net (just skip the space before the @ )

thanks very much, btw.

coemgen said:
I agree that it was all part of his self-deprecating humor. Bono can appear very pompous and over-the-top, but if you really listen to what he says about himself, he's very humble. When it comes to the band though, that's where the big talk comes in.

You nailed it, exactly.

"the little lord Jesus" gave me a wave from the Black Cadillac Esclade 5 hrs before showtime opening night:sexywink:

it was kinda cool:wink:

db9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom