Bono got a little carried away..... - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2005, 05:10 AM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:05 AM
i know it may go out of the main theme, but maybe we can discuss it, too.there's a problem in the song yahweh, actually it feels like a prayer, it feels like bono is searching the true god and that's ok, but there's a verse where he sings "this love is like a drop in the ocean", actually it sounds like a sort of reproach or incitement to make things better, but the love of god is an ocean, it's not a drop. the matter is that a truly christian holds on tightly to his faith, god promised he will bring his reign and only he is up to decide when this day must come, and we must follow him without doubting about his promises, that's what offends god. god doesn't need a spur, we must live following god's laws and we must put ourselves in his arms without fearing he would let us fall down. so, to me, "this love is like a drop in the ocean" sounds like a possible misbelieving in god's abilities to carry us to eternal salvation. it's not we who must spur god, we must spur ourselves and each other to walk with god

Old 04-02-2005, 05:23 AM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:05 PM
But the Bible is filled with reproach of God, cajoling, pleading, arguing, doubting. Bono is following good company.

Old 04-02-2005, 05:27 AM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yes, but bono is not god
Old 04-02-2005, 06:10 AM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Did not say he was. I said the Bible is filled with humans questioning, doubting, railing at God. Bono is not God, but he is certainly in the tradition of followers challenging God.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:01 AM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
challenging God. [/B]

?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:06 AM   #111
Refugee

he was poking fun at himself
Old 04-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:05 PM
um, yes, bono was kidding.

bono is an artist; he is free to do whatever he wants, and you're free to call it blasphemy or that it offends god or that Bono's lyrics might (heaven forbid!) not be in perfect accordance with a conservative reading of scripture or that he's not a "true" christian (because there can only be one way, right?), and i'm free to think that's a really idiotic thought.

which i do.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:05 AM
Dreadsox - I was Merely saying that you would be mistaken for thinking that i'm blind to the fact that Bono is a human being&has faults! I fully realise this. I mean he's a crap driver (apparently) and can't cook nor dance! However, i stand by what i said that i really don't think Bono is being serious about it when he makes jokey comments about being jesus! He kids around a lot!

But now you come to mention it, if all you did was constantly criticise Bono, instead of being MORE supportive of him - how can you class yourself as ANY fan? That's the way i see it! That's me just saying that's what i thought being a fan of anyone was about?

Please, i don't mean to get personal or anything! Sorry if it sounds that way! It just happens to be my opinion!
Old 04-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier

Irvine511 - you make total sense, btw!
Old 04-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #115
Refugee

Local Time: 08:05 PM
I think he was kidding!!!! C'mon people...lighten up!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 04-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:05 PM
susanp6 - you are entitled to your opinion.

It is paramount on everyone else to respect it or otherwise this forum does not become "Free Your Mind" but "Close Your Mind".

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....
Old 04-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

Where is the air freshener?
Old 04-03-2005, 01:16 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]Dreadsox - I was Merely saying that you would be mistaken for thinking that i'm blind to the fact that Bono is a human being&has faults! I fully realise this. I mean he's a crap driver (apparently) and can't cook nor dance! However, i stand by what i said that i really don't think Bono is being serious about it when he makes jokey comments about being jesus! He kids around a lot![/Q]

He might have been joking....and you and I as fans may find it amusing, or we might also understand the humor in it because of the HOF speech.

Others may find it offensive due to religious reasons.

[Q]But now you come to mention it, if all you did was constantly criticise Bono, instead of being MORE supportive of him - how can you class yourself as ANY fan? That's the way i see it! That's me just saying that's what i thought being a fan of anyone was about? [/Q]

I am puzzled though and you have me at a disadvantage here.....

Are you saying "YOU" as in general population of people?
Are you saying "You" Dreadsox in the above statement?

Do you know me as a person, as to the cuases I work for/towards to help make the world a better place enough to judge me or anyone else?

I fail to understand WHY or HOW you can jump to the conclusion that someone with valid religious reasons for not liking what he did to equal someone NOT supportive of causes that interest Bono.

[Q]Please, i don't mean to get personal or anything! Sorry if it sounds that way! It just happens to be my opinion![/Q]

My opinion is we need an air freshener in here.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:35 PM   #119
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
[Q]Dreadsox - I was Merely saying that you would be mistaken for thinking that i'm blind to the fact that Bono is a human being&has faults! I fully realise this. I mean he's a crap driver (apparently) and can't cook nor dance! However, i stand by what i said that i really don't think Bono is being serious about it when he makes jokey comments about being jesus! He kids around a lot![/Q]

He might have been joking....and you and I as fans may find it amusing, or we might also understand the humor in it because of the HOF speech.

Others may find it offensive due to religious reasons.

[Q]But now you come to mention it, if all you did was constantly criticise Bono, instead of being MORE supportive of him - how can you class yourself as ANY fan? That's the way i see it! That's me just saying that's what i thought being a fan of anyone was about? [/Q]

I am puzzled though and you have me at a disadvantage here.....

Are you saying "YOU" as in general population of people?
Are you saying "You" Dreadsox in the above statement?

Do you know me as a person, as to the cuases I work for/towards to help make the world a better place enough to judge me or anyone else?

I fail to understand WHY or HOW you can jump to the conclusion that someone with valid religious reasons for not liking what he did to equal someone NOT supportive of causes that interest Bono.

[Q]Please, i don't mean to get personal or anything! Sorry if it sounds that way! It just happens to be my opinion![/Q]
Dread, no disrespect to you or your opinions, but I think susanp6 gets the point.
Quote:

My opinion is we need an air freshener in here.
That's just rude and uncalled for. She said she didn't mean to offend you or anybody else.

Any chance that we could get this thread back on topic at some point this century and play nice like good children??????
Old 04-04-2005, 03:16 AM   #120
Refugee

Ok, it seems to me that everyone's tone needs to be a bit more respectful. The thread's quite silly at the moment, and if everyone keeps lecturing/patronising/berating each other, I'm just going to close it down, which is boring.

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'