Bono got a little carried away..... - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Notate the word "little"

I think he was finishing "One" - "did you come here to play Jesus? I did..."

And he said he was "little"

Old 04-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:59 AM
Dreadsox - I said nothing about agreeing with everything he says! I'm talking about constant unecessary criticism&negativity! i thought the point of being here was that you were an actual fan?

I'm no blind worshipper actually either! I said he can take the piss out of himself&has a great sense of humour! Big deal!

I assume you did agree with me on the sense of humour he has
Sally?

Old 04-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #93
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:59 AM
Absolutely, susanp6! I wasn't trying to insinuate that you are a 'blind worshipper', I promise - I know you well enough by now to know that you're far too sensible.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie

He was probably poking fun at himself. He has a huge ego either way though, and it annoys me.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I will play the devil's advocate...mostly because I have friends who would be offended to see someone calling themselves....

YHWY

AS part of the Jewish tradition, the vowels were left out because even writing it was not allowed if I am not mistaken.
Hi Dread! How are ya doing you old man?

The vowels are left out because Hebrew has no vowels.

Jews (in writing) will commonly write out "G-d" for the reason you mentioned.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #96
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
He was probably poking fun at himself. He has a huge ego either way though, and it annoys me.
Name a rockstar that doesn't.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #97
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Well, yeah... but I reckon that if I had been at the top for the best part of 25 years and my latest album had hit number one in about 40 countries so far, I'd be liking life a bit too!

Personally - and I freely admit that, of course, I don't know this for a fact - I think a lot of it is bluster. I think that, despite all he has achieved, Bono is fundamentally very insecure - as are most 'arrogant' people deep down. Look at the way he has been reaching out to his audience for all these years... Slane, after his dad's death, being a key example.

I also reckon that much of it is humour (frequently of the self-deprecating variety). I'm not saying that Bono doesn't have a considerable ego - but I think a lot of it is subject to misinterpretation.

That's my analysis of the human condition!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

Cool Sally!

No worries&it was dreadsox who implied they thought i was a "Blind worhipper", not you! I just thought you might have been totally disagreeing with me all of a sudden, but i see that you weren't! Glad we're ok with each other!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #99
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by susanp6
Cool Sally!

No worries&it was dreadsox who implied they thought i was a "Blind worhipper", not you! I just thought you might have been totally disagreeing with me all of a sudden, but i see that you weren't! Glad we're ok with each other!
Susan, you've been really supportive lately and I am so grateful to you for your kindess.

Quote:
I will play the devil's advocate...mostly because I have friends who would be offended to see someone calling themselves....

YHWY

AS part of the Jewish tradition, the vowels were left out because even writing it was not allowed if I am not mistaken.

So I can understand how writing a song using the word could raise some eyebrows.

He Who Must Not Be Named... like Lord Voldemort.

I'm getting the hell out of this thread now before you all start beatin g me with pointed sticks!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Quote:
YHWY

Excellent example Dread.

This is a tradition that flows from the Third Commandment: "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." Exodus 20:7 NIV

or, from the Message translation:

"No using the name of GOD your God, in curses or silly banter; GOD won't put up with the irreverant use of his name."

To avoid breaking this commandment, Jews would not speak or write the name of God.

This is holy reverence for God.

Listen to television one evening, and you will see we have total disregard for this Commandment.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Dreadsox - I said nothing about agreeing with everything he says! I'm talking about constant unecessary criticism&negativity! i thought the point of being here was that you were an actual fan?
I disagree that I am somehow a lesser fan than you or anyone else for bringing it up...

sorry....
Old 04-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Hi Dread! How are ya doing you old man?

The vowels are left out because Hebrew has no vowels.

Jews (in writing) will commonly write out "G-d" for the reason you mentioned.
Its Fernando to you baby!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #103
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Cool Sally!

No worries&it was dreadsox who implied they thought i was a "Blind worhipper", not you!
Interesting...

So somehow I am the one who was throwing the stone at you?

Your initial statement led me to believe you feel that by questioning Bono's actions I am a lesser fan....

But hey....its all about the spin....
Old 04-01-2005, 10:24 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:59 PM

Perhaps Bono erred and meant to refer to himself as "Little Lord Fauntleroy," or maybe he intended to seque the band into "Away In A Manger" with "the little lord Jesus lay down his sweet head."

~U2Alabama
Old 04-01-2005, 10:28 PM   #105
Refugee

With the whole YHWH thing....I believe that Jews were not supposed to have physical manifestations of God. The previous religions that were in the region were extremely idol-istic and Abraham himself had many idols in his home and so when God spoke to him, he/she/it told Abraham that no physical representations of God should exist because God transcends physical images. That's why they don't write GOD they write G-d and YHWH. But G-d and YHWH themselves are also physical representations of God and are (to some) also illegal. That being said, I don't think that u2 is blatantly disrespecting God by having a song called Yahweh. I think they are simply writing a song about God and so they use a name given to God as the title. The whole thought of U2 trying to be better than God or something like that is total crap.