Bono backs out of Republican convention

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think you need to know any gay man or woman to feel that it's wrong for politics to pass judgement on someone's life when this life in no way affects society in a negative way

so I wouldn't even mind if U2 Bono U2 would make a public statement that he wouldn't attend the republican convention for this reason

even if some bitter people would claim this shows he's non-partisan instead of acknowledging that this issue deserves whatever attention it can get

I don't doubt U2 Bono U2 won't back out though

Last edited:
But you dont understand, if a politican advocates gay marriage then they are an elitist wanker who has abandoned good old fashioned family values in the name of trendyness. Forget the fact that the politician has fucked around all over the country it is only when they suggest something that would upset the family unit and destroy society like - gay marriage that they go to far.

That was sarcasm in relation to hypocracy.

and some people have to have known gay couples to be sure that they aren't a negative thing for society, as hard as you may look at people like that, it happens!

Mary Bono represents the Palm Springs area in CA. She has a sizable gay, well-to-do constituency.

Politicians know where their bread is buttered.

Lilac said:
and some people have to have known gay couples to be sure that they aren't a negative thing for society, as hard as you may look at people like that, it happens!
I don't look hard at anyone

but I wouldn't even mind if I did look harshly at people who condemn a whole groupl of people because they HAVEN'T shown that they DON'T have a negative input on society

why should gay people need to prove that?
and why not people who are left handed?
or people who wear glasses?

besides that I think it's ludricous that the initial post in this thread indicates that there's no way Bono can not go to the republican convention without him losing his non-partisanship

Salome said:
I don't look hard at anyone

but I wouldn't even mind if I did look harshly at people who condemn a whole groupl of people because they HAVEN'T shown that they DON'T have a negative input on society

why should gay people need to prove that?
and why not people who are left handed?
or people who wear glasses?

besides that I think it's ludricous that the initial post in this thread indicates that there's no way Bono can not go to the republican convention without him losing his non-partisanship

God forbid that a person should be gay, left handed and wear glasses! We all know the world would just implode if that happened!!!

And I don't really understand why anyone really cares who Bono wants to win in the US elections. Does his opinion really matter that much? If he is able to work with the people who eventually get in -- isn't that all that matters?

indra said:

And I don't really understand why anyone really cares who Bono wants to win in the US elections. Does his opinion really matter that much? If he is able to work with the people who eventually get in -- isn't that all that matters?

A lot of people are afraid he WON'T be able to work well with the person who gets in if he had worked for the opponent, so it's best to remain neutral for the good of the DATA cause.

Originally posted by Salome

I'm not taking up for them, but don't assume most people in the world feels the same as you. There are some people who would have heard negative crap about gays, and they do fear them and honestly believe they are a threat to decent society. Look at this quote a friend emailed me:

Those comments(by cheney on gay marriage) drew criticism from the conservative Family Research Council, with President Tony Perkins saying:
>?I
>find it hard to believe the vice president would stray from the
>administration?s position.... For many pro-family voters, protecting
>traditional marriage ranks ahead of the economy and job creation as a
>campaign issue

Yes, you read that right, ahead of jobs and the economy!

One wonders what these 'pro family' types think of Britney's cheapo quickie wedding/divorce :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lilac said:

A lot of people are afraid he WON'T be able to work well with the person who gets in if he had worked for the opponent, so it's best to remain neutral for the good of the DATA cause.

I'm not taking up for them, but don't assume most people in the world feels the same as you. There are some people who would have heard negative crap about gays, and they do fear them and honestly believe they are a threat to decent society. Look at this quote a friend emailed me:

Those comments(by cheney on gay marriage) drew criticism from the conservative Family Research Council, with President Tony Perkins saying:
>?I
>find it hard to believe the vice president would stray from the
>administration?s position.... For many pro-family voters, protecting
>traditional marriage ranks ahead of the economy and job creation as a
>campaign issue

Yes, you read that right, ahead of jobs and the economy!

But Bono hasn't worked for Kerry, so no problem. I don't think it's a big deal.

As for the homophobes...well, they are simply bigots. Many people felt (and still feel) the same about blacks, Hispanics, anyone different at all. And one thing to consider...the most homophobic man I ever knew (and I knew him very well) was in fact, a closeted homosexual himself (and left handed and wore glasses!!! Yikes! The world will collapse. Run for your lives.). And I know very well most people don't agree with me, but it doesn't mean they are correct.

You know someone had to have the balls to say "NO, you will NOT die if you drink from a fountain after a black person, you CAN pee in the same toilet as a black person, it WON'T hurt you at all to eat at the same lunch counter as a black person! Get over it you jerks!" I would hope that we as a nation would have learned by now that just because someone is different, doesn't mean he/she is bad. So I do also give a very askance look at those who fear gays and feel, however honestly, that they are a threat to "decent" society. What is so decent about bigotry anyway?

But Bono hasn't worked for Kerry, so no problem

I consider U2 officially giving permission to his campaign to use BD IS an official endorsement. Could you image him letting Bush use a song? U2 are very picky about how their songs are used and the messages they convey, that's why they turned down 23 million from GM. So you best believe the go ahead for the use of the song is exactly the same thing as endorsement, or at least open approval, of Kerry's candidacy.

They actually did not ask the band if it was OK if they used the song in Boston. Three days after the event the campaign contacted Principle Management and officially asked if they could use the song. At that point they said "yes". Some people in the press were on Kerry's case for this faux pas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom