Bono = antichrist - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:20 AM
"You're right" Irvine.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:35 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

is God using Bono, or is Bono using God?

Old 04-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
you can't be saved by art? i wouldn't be who i am today without "achtung baby." i'd rather find safety and salvation in the works of a fellow human being than in religious dogma.

i also don't want to place a limit on what the artist should do -- why place limits on anyone? what a boring world it would be if people only did what was expected of them.
For some people, music is no more than a background or distraction to their lives. For me and most people on here I suspect, it's a little more than that. But being "saved by art", I dunno, doesn't apply to me personally anyway. I see art as more than an irrelevant distraction - but not the fundamental goal of life or anything like that. But I don't feel that I've been "saved" by it as such.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

God is definitely using Bono, Irvine. There's no doubt in my mind.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:47 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Another point to look at that's interesting is look at how many churches sing U2 songs because of Bono's lyrics? There's a book out, "Get Up Off Your Knees" that's full of sermons based on U2 songs. The guys at Relevant have been dubbed U2 Christians. And many Christians, including myself, have been inspired by Bono's faith in more personal ways. I for one became a committed Christian because of him.
Add to that the fact that he's influencing world leaders all the way down to the world's poor and he's doing it as one of the biggest rock stars ever and you've got someone special. Someone that only comes along every so often.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:20 AM
I'd be dead if it wasn't for art.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

For some people, music is no more than a background or distraction to their lives. For me and most people on here I suspect, it's a little more than that. But being "saved by art", I dunno, doesn't apply to me personally anyway. I see art as more than an irrelevant distraction - but not the fundamental goal of life or anything like that. But I don't feel that I've been "saved" by it as such.

fair enough. to each his own.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Another point to look at that's interesting is look at how many churches sing U2 songs because of Bono's lyrics? There's a book out, "Get Up Off Your Knees" that's full of sermons based on U2 songs. The guys at Relevant have been dubbed U2 Christians. And many Christians, including myself, have been inspired by Bono's faith in more personal ways. I for one became a committed Christian because of him.
Add to that the fact that he's influencing world leaders all the way down to the world's poor and he's doing it as one of the biggest rock stars ever and you've got someone special. Someone that only comes along every so often.

interesting ... i find the opposite side of the coin more interesting, for me at least. Bono is a person of faith, but he has little use for organized religion and often speaks of the Glide Memorial in San Francisco as what he thinks church should be. (i am dying to visit that place next time i'm in SF). he seems wracked with doubt and uncertainty and is angry, angry, angry at why the world is the way it is, and he's shouting at God in many of his songs. it's the anger and despair that i respond to more, which is why i have a more emotional connection to War, JT, and AB than i do to HTDAAB and ATYCLB, even though their last two albums are musically far more skillful than their previous works. i think what's been disappointing me a bit about Bono is that he's a much happier person than he was in his late 20's/early 30's. good for him, and good for the world, but bad for his lyrics. imho.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Maybe that's another part of how amazing he is —*his faith walk has inspired the two of us in two different ways, and we're two very different people. Incredible! (Thanks for your points on this by the way, man.)
Old 04-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

you can't be saved by art? i wouldn't be who i am today without "achtung baby." i'd rather find safety and salvation in the works of a fellow human being than in religious dogma.

i also don't want to place a limit on what the artist should do -- why place limits on anyone? what a boring world it would be if people only did what was expected of them.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think Irvine's statement rocks as well, but remember there's a difference between being saved here on earth and being saved for eternity. As much as Achtung Baby has helped me in my life, it doesn't save me.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:55 PM   #27
Babyface

Local Time: 10:20 AM
oh please! bono it's to short to be the anticristh
Old 04-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hey, didn't some people nickname Bono "The Antichrist" when he was growing up? I remember reading this years and years ago in Rolling Stone or something like that.

I don't see Bono as a prophet, but he is definitely a person to admire. Christianity needs more spokespeople like him and a lot fewer Jerry Falwells.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:20 AM
I admire Bono on multiple levels - I relate to him on a spiritual level, but I also relate to him on a secular level. That's pretty rare among my "relationships" with celebrities.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:19 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I admire Bono on multiple levels - I relate to him on a spiritual level, but I also relate to him on a secular level. That's pretty rare among my "relationships" with celebrities.
what other 'relationships' do you have?

give us the juicy details