Bono and Bush had a fight today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
CNN alluded to this in a brief clip. Bono met with Bush and they had words?
Anyone have anything on this?

Keep AIDS promise, Bono tells Bush
From correspondents in Washington
September 17, 2003

U2 rocker and activist Bono told President George W Bush today of his fears of seeing the United States fall down on its promise to finance the battle against AIDS.

"I can get very angry," Bono told reporters.

The lead singer of U2 lent Bush his support after the president's January promise of $US15 million ($22 million) to fight AIDS over the coming five years, mostly in Africa.

Bono said he met with Bush overnight at the White House to ask him to pressure Congress for the promised funds.

"He is very passionate about this problem, and I believe him when I say he is committed, ... but we cannot agree on the numbers," said Bono, flanked by bishops in the Methodist church Bush attends regularly.

Bono talked to the press after meeting with Bush. He said they had had a "row" and their disagreement was over "numbers". Then he said something quite nice about the President. I wouldn't go so far as to say they had a "fight".....that's probably an exaggeration. They disagreed.

Washington-AP -- Rock star Bono (BAH'-noh) says he and President Bush have clashed over how much money is needed to start fighting AIDS in Africa.

Bono says he told Bush that three (b) billion dollars is needed in the first year of the five-year, 15 (b) billion dollar initiative. But he says Bush believes only two (b) billion could be effectively spent the first year.

After their White House meeting, Bono appeared at a news conference with bishops whose churches are helping African AIDS victims. They insisted that the larger amount is urgently needed to distribute medicine and save lives.

Bono said that among such "men of God" he was "the pig in the middle" -- but said they all believe that the plight of the poor "is what's on God's mind."

Bono asks USA for $1bn to fight Aids
16/09/2003 - 15:37:11

U2 lead singer Bono appealed today for $1bn (?892m) from America for the global fight against Aids.

The U2 frontman pointed to the $87bn (?77.6bn) President George Bush is seeking for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan and asked: ?How about $1bn (?892m) extra for an entire continent??

Speaking as he embarked on a week of campaigning in Washington, Dublin-born Bono said it was ?much cheaper? to deal with the Aids epidemic quickly.

?People will die in their tens of thousands for lack of $1bn (?892m),? he said in an interview with the USA Today newspaper.

?Now, they want $87bn (?77.6bn) for two countries, Iraq and Afghanistan. How about $1bn (?892m) extra for an entire continent?

?I don?t think that?s too much to ask this week. It all feeds into the same thing anyway, which is the way the world sees America.?

He said if the US could boost its image around the world, championing the cause of issues such as Aids, it could help ?shut off? the ?oxygen? which feeds anti-American terrorist groups.

He said: ?There are evil-minded people everywhere. But we can certainly shut off their oxygen. The Aids emergency offers a chance to America and Europe to show what we?re really about.?

Although he has so far struggled to secure cash for his Aids crusade, Bono (real name Paul Hewson) is optimistic.

?I actually do think we?re going to sort this out this week,? he said.

From USAToday:

At $2 billion for the first year, "the president is following through on his commitment," said Trent Duffy, spokesman at the Office of Management and Budget.

Aides of Sen. Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., say that the first-year budget may slightly exceed Bush's request and that Frist is committed to spending $15 billion over five years. But the White House hasn't asked for $3 billion the first year, and Frist and many members of Congress do not want to spend that much because of concern that it might overwhelm AIDS programs.

Bono disagrees. "It's sort of 'We'd love to give them the money, but the Africans just couldn't spend it.' Please, just say you don't have the money, but don't say that. Let's be respectful of the gravity of 7,000 casualties a day to this illness."

Q Following the meeting between Bono and the President, Bono told reporters that he believes the President is truly committed to a long-term strategy regarding AIDS funding for Africa. However, he said in the immediate -- what's happening right now is the President is -- and these are his words -- "short-changing the program." What happened to the $3 billion commitment for fiscal year '04?

MR. McCLELLAN: I don't know how one could look at what the President has done and come up with those words that you used to describe it. The President has shown unprecedented leadership in the fight against AIDS, globally and at home.

He outlined a $15 billion package over five years to direct resources to -- a lot of those resources to the most afflicted countries in Africa and the Caribbean, 14 countries in all. The President is strongly committed to helping those who are suffering in those afflicted countries. And we are fully committed to making sure that that $15 billion is implemented.

Q Did the White House ever commit to $3 billion on the front end, the first year, '04?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, keep in mind that, again, there's $15 billion over five years. You need to make sure that the infrastructure is in place for those resources to be spent. We want to make sure that the money is spent effectively and that there's accountability for that money. So there's a ramp-up period, and so that money will continue to ramp up over time, but it will be a total of $15 billion over five years.

And we are working with Congress to make sure that the $2 billion that was requested is fully funded, and Congress is moving forward on that. This is one of the President's highest priorities. He made it very clear in his State of the Union address that it was important that Congress act on this initiative. So we are moving forward to make sure that it is fully funded.

Dreadsox said:
?Now, they want $87bn (?77.6bn) for two countries, Iraq and Afghanistan. How about $1bn (?892m) extra for an entire continent?

Oh, Bono, you silly goose. :sexywink:

Congress and the President had better live up to their pledge, as is, otherwise Bono and 70,000 of his closets friends will show up in their cities. He wasn't kidding. 2004 is election time and concert tour time for U2. Bush has to be thinking about the effect of Clinton going on the Arsenio Hall show and the number of 18 to 24 year olds that signed up and voted in that election year. I'm not saying the U2 tour would sway votes one way or the other in an election, but is Bush willing to take that chance? With what he has promised, in front of the world, a fraction of 20, 50 or 70,000 fans one way or the other, in any major city, over the course of a summer, will truly make a difference. This will be interesting.

So this is me, publically PROMISING as one of Bono's Angels to make one HELL of a noise if Bush falls through on this between now and next Nov. 2004.

Who's with me? I'll plan a protest with Jubilee for us.

Yes I'm serious,
SD

I don't blame Bono one bit for being angry at Bush

It's downright pathetic if Bush takes action on this for political purposes, but if that's what it takes to get it done, so be it

Everyone please call or e-mail the White House

My friend sent me a few quotes of Bono from this press conference, but didn't include the source.

"I?m not positive ? I?m depressed! Do I LOOK positive? ?We want the money NOW, that?s what we?re fighting about; that?s what I?m upset about. But as it happens, I do think he?s in it for the long run, I don?t think it?s showbusiness if that?s what you?re asking."

??and with regards to how I go about business, I want to pull my hair out! But not at George Bush, not at Tony Blair, not at Jaques Chirac, not at Schroeder ? at ALL of them! You know, because it?s NEVER gonna be moving too fast, because if you?ve watched someone die when you watch the wailing and keening of their family after somebody dies if you watch children die needlessly, because their mothers did not receive Nevirapine ? which costs NOTHING ? Then you get very angry. I can get very, very angry. If you want me to do angry, I?ll do angry. But right now I?m trying to calm down, and trying to get the president to open up his wallet and give us 3 billion. And, as I say, I do believe that he is sincere and his team are sincere; they?re just not moving quick enough from my point of view.?

:applaud: good for him.

Sherry, the protest sounds like a great idea. Keep us posted! Imagine, tens of thousands of angry demonstrators telling Bush we want the AIDS programs funded!! That'd be cool!! I'm mad as hell too!!
:madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I just picture Bono sitting and trying to have an intelligent discussion with Bush, and while Bono is talking Bush drifts off and starts to giggle inside about Bono's clothes.... oh, look at those big shoes, I bet those could do some ass-whoopin! I'll be darned, sunglasses inside... like a movie star. he he he

oliveu2cm said:

Then you get very angry. I can get very, very angry. If you want me to do angry, I?ll do angry.

I saw the video of the press conference, and in this part he really does look f*king angry.
If he and Bush really did have an argument, how much would you have paid to be a fly on the wall?

Back
Top Bottom