Bombing in Riyadh!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
There has been a huge explosion in Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia. According to early reports as many as 100 people may have been killed in the blast. This is just a day after the U.S. temporarily closed their embassy here, citing the threat of terrorist attacks. A cell of terrorists was busted here the other day. This is scary.

I'm sorry, I made a mistake in that post. It's being reported that 28 are dead and about 100 are injured in the blast. Alot of people who own homes in the area were out of town due to the Ramadan holiday. Horrors.:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
I'm sick of this madness. :rant: :yell: :censored: :censored:

Sick of the sorrow
sick of the pain
sick of hearing again and again
that there's gonna be
peace on Earth

:sad: :( :mad:

sd

verte76 said:
The Saudis are blaming the attack on Al-Qaeda. What a bunch of losers.:mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Who are the losers? The Saudis or Al-Qaeda? I think there is a strong argument that the Saudis' high unemployment rate and a generation of Saudis not having to work led to a creature such as Al-Qaeda.

I think you've got a point. High poverty/unemployment rates make Al Qaeda's recuiting job that much easier.

The war on terror is simply not something we can with with military means alone.

SD

PS but I have a feeling Verte meant Al Qaeda :p

nbcrusader said:

Who are the losers? The Saudis or Al-Qaeda? I think there is a strong argument that the Saudis' high unemployment rate and a generation of Saudis not having to work led to a creature such as Al-Qaeda.

I meant Al-Qaeda. But you're right the Saudis created this situation. A generation of them didn't have to work and now they've got high unemployment. This scares some Saudis who think it could be their undoing. It's incredible that this country used to be poor. Many people who grew up in palaces there had grandparents who grew up in Bedouin tents. It's a combustible mix.

For Saudi Arabia, you are going on a second generation that does not have to work. The entire infrastructure for oil production was built using foreign labor. Now, in the name of Islam, some want to get rid of these "infidels" claiming that this land is Muslim only.

It is an interesting study of how difficult it can be to plan when essentially you have unlimited resources.

There are so many things wrong with the Saudi way of running their country that I don't even know where to start.

You want to get rid of terrorism? Why not start with cleaning house in Saudi Arabia? But no, we don't want to offend our strategic partners, so we turn away. It will never end this way, never.

nbcrusader said:
For Saudi Arabia, you are going on a second generation that does not have to work. The entire infrastructure for oil production was built using foreign labor. Now, in the name of Islam, some want to get rid of these "infidels" claiming that this land is Muslim only.

It is an interesting study of how difficult it can be to plan when essentially you have unlimited resources.

It's a mess. You're right, there have been two generations that didn't have to work, and it's corrosive. Now some of these beneficiaries of the foreign labor are screaming to get rid of the "infidels". Moslems of the Wahhabist persuasion think anyone who's not like them are infidels, including other Moslems. Saudi society is also split with people who do not subscribe to the whole Wahhabist school of Islam and people who do. Looking back the House of Al-Saud may have bought both their glory and their downfall in cahoots with the Wahhabist school of Islam.

I'd shed no tears if the whole royal family was sent to work at McDonald's and given real jobs.

Whoah, I didn't read about them taking responsibility by e-mail. I read where they claimed they'd screwed up, bombing people that were Arabs and not Americans. The press here didn't pay any attention to how the message was relayed, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was e-mail. Damn. How'd you like to see that on *your* computer??:yikes: :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom