Bombing in Baghdad - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2003, 07:58 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:25 PM
Of course they have no interest in peace.

But the rising support for terror in this part of the world, and lest we forget, suicide bombing was never a part of Iraq's MO before, is at least partially due to the current situation there. And what is the current situation? Quagmire and chaos and a complete and utter lack of direction, an administration which on the one hand wants help from foreign troops and on the other wants no input from the global community and has slighted, insulted and alienated a number of their longtime allies. Well, there's a recipe for success if I've ever seen one.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:17 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Please, nbcrusader.

If you mean to tell me that this occupation/rebuilding whatever you want to call it is well thought out, by all means.

GWB has nothing to do with today's bombing. He has everything to do with the quagmire they're in. Iraqis don't have regular power in 50 Celsius and we whine about electricity drop outs for 8 hours. Let's get real here and call a spade a spade.
You are aware that there have been acts of terrorism that have resulted in the loss of power almost every time it is re-established. As has been happening for weeks, they are targeting the infrastructure.

This does not mean I think it is well thought out. I think that the administration misread the other nations. They thought that the resolutions like 1483 were going to bring in assistance. It has NOT.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:25 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Another man of peace was killed. Sérgio Vieira de Mello was someone that actually could do something good for the Iraqis, he could make a difference like he did in Timor and Kosovo...and now he´s gone, along with many other innocents. It´s a shame and I´m reall sorry. I admired him a lot.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:47 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by follower
Another man of peace was killed. Sérgio Vieira de Mello was someone that actually could do something good for the Iraqis, he could make a difference like he did in Timor and Kosovo...and now he´s gone, along with many other innocents. It´s a shame and I´m reall sorry. I admired him a lot.
I did too, follower. It's a crime that the terrorists aimed their attack at his office! Why did they aim at the UN Human Rights Commissioner? How twisted, demented and totally sickening. This is a nightmare.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:49 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Hard to believe in...we lost a great brazilian today, but UN lost much more than us.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:52 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

You are aware that there have been acts of terrorism that have resulted in the loss of power almost every time it is re-established. As has been happening for weeks, they are targeting the infrastructure.

This does not mean I think it is well thought out. I think that the administration misread the other nations. They thought that the resolutions like 1483 were going to bring in assistance. It has NOT.
I think you are right Dread. It's shocking to me that instead of a Coalition figure, the terrorists aimed their attack at the UN Commissioner on Human Rights!! I'm not saying they should have aimed at *anyone*. No way. But this particular act of cynicism and brutality is almost beyond belief. That guy was no one's enemy and Iraq's friend. Now he's gone. How much more are the people of Iraq going to have to put up with?
Old 08-19-2003, 10:06 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
the footage of the bomb going off during a press conference gave me chills.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:09 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Of course they have no interest in peace.

But the rising support for terror in this part of the world, and lest we forget, suicide bombing was never a part of Iraq's MO before, is at least partially due to the current situation there. And what is the current situation? Quagmire and chaos and a complete and utter lack of direction, an administration which on the one hand wants help from foreign troops and on the other wants no input from the global community and has slighted, insulted and alienated a number of their longtime allies. Well, there's a recipe for success if I've ever seen one.
Of course suicide bombings were not part of Iraq's MO. Get caught planning a suicide bombing and you get to watch Saddam’s thugs violate your wife and daughters to death before they poke out your eyes and bury you in the sand.

The evil in Iraq obviously goes beyond Saddam. There are certainly plenty of explosives and RPG's lying around the country to keep any two bit terrorist busy for months. You also have a psychotic element of the populous that will blame the Americans for anything that goes wrong, even if one of their damn flags gets blown off a tower by prop wash.

And don't get all wrapped up with the humanitarian gestures of the global community. The war was fought; Saddam is out and guess who shows up at the door to get their fingers in the oil barrel.

Yeah, Iraq is one messed up place. But a rational approach to rebuilding the infrastructure is being subverted by an irrational element in the country. No amount of UN resolutions or global efforts will solve that problem.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:10 AM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 03:25 AM
There's one unanswered and very important question rising: WHO did this? Do you think it's Iraqi resistance or people loyal to SH? I doubt so. Given that UN, not coalition forces, was targeted, I think that now we are dealing with terrorists (Al-Qaeda?) rather than frustrated Iraqi ppl...
Old 08-20-2003, 10:32 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I thought Al-Qaeda was not supposed to be in Iraq.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:44 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
They're not supposed to be anywhere, but it seems like they're now entering Iraq to create anarchy. Dreadsox has also started a thread about this: Have we created the monster we feared?

Marty
Old 08-20-2003, 10:50 AM   #27
The Fly

Local Time: 03:25 AM
Quote:
...while GWB was absolutely sure otherwise
Now he got what he wanted.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:28 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I didn't particularly believe the connection between Saddam and Al Qaeda, since bin Laden and Co. didn't like Saddam. Saddam wasn't Islamicist enough for them. Now terrorists are "free" to come in and fight in a holy war against the U.S. and the U.N. The next thing you know, there are going to be Islamicist "virtue squads". Ugh.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:31 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Now terrorists are "free" to come in and fight in a holy war against the U.S. and the U.N.

Well, I doubt Saddam monitored his borders well enough to keep Al-Qaeda out.

The world community seems to tolerate the notion that any infidels in the Middle East must be extricated.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:19 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ALEXRUS
There's one unanswered and very important question rising: WHO did this? Do you think it's Iraqi resistance or people loyal to SH? I doubt so. Given that UN, not coalition forces, was targeted, I think that now we are dealing with terrorists (Al-Qaeda?) rather than frustrated Iraqi ppl...
I think we have many terrorists that are now in Iraq, that were not there before the war. Iraq has now become the focal point, and if the US leaves in the face of the terrorism in Iraq, then they will have achieved a tremendous victory for themselves morale wise.