Bomb found in San Francisco Starbucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
Bomb found in San Francisco Starbucks
Police bomb squad investigates device looking like metal flashlight; disarms device.
January 9, 2006: 7:24 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO (CNN) - A police bomb squad disarmed an explosive device found in a Starbucks coffee shop in central San Francisco, investigators said Monday.

The device was discovered about 1:15 p.m. (4:15 p.m. ET) in the bathroom of the coffee shop, the San Francisco Police Department told CNN. Police told CNN the bomb squad was called to investigate a metal flashlight and determined it was a "device that could explode."

Starbucks said in a statement, "The local authorities were immediately contacted and we are working in full cooperation with them to ensure the safety and security of our partners (employees), our customers and the store."

The company said all of its employees and customers were safe. Additionally, Starbucks said it could not provide any additional information because it was necessary to protect the integrity of the police investigation.

The incident is still being investigated, and police said they were unaware of any threats against that particular shop, located at the intersection of Van Ness Avenue and Bush Street.

Interesting to see what the investigation will reveal.

Given the various hatefilled comments against San Francisco made by right wing pundits.

financeguy said:
Interesting to see what the investigation will reveal.

Given the various hatefilled comments against San Francisco made by right wing pundits.
Given that starbucks is the classic big business that drives out smaller competitors I would be interested to see where it sits.

A_Wanderer said:
Given that starbucks is the classic big business that drives out smaller competitors I would be interested to see where it sits.

SF is clearly hated by the US far right because of the liberal values it is associated with.

Bombing a Starbucks could well make sense from the point of view of smeone with a grudge against SF or against gays for example - the rationale being kill off a few gay liberals.

Various pubs in London were bombed in 1998/99 - the culprit turned out to be a right wing white supremacist.

Then there was Oklahoma in 1996 - a media rush to judgement to blame Islamists, when it turned out to be home-grown terrorists.

But, post-September 11, it seems that each and every terrorist atrocity must automatically be ascribed to the Islamists.

What short memories we have.

I was hinting towards radical anti-corporate or anti-globalisation.

Not a single person mentioned or alluded to Islamic Terrorism in this case.

A man working at Sushi Bar Wayo next door to Starbucks said police told him there was a pipe bomb in the coffee house and that he needed to evacuate his restaurant.

In time more will be revealed

but pipe bombs are usually made by young males

not a typical terrorist tool of mass destruction

deep said:

In time more will be revealed

but pipe bombs are usually made by young males

not a typical terrorist tool of mass destruction

Terrorists strike with fear, not mass destruction.

A pipe bomb is just another IED.

financeguy said:
SF is clearly hated by the US far right because of the liberal values it is associated with.

I think you'd find a majority of Americans dumbfounded by a city that is able to pass a measure opposing the presence of military recruiters at public schools and colleges.

nbcrusader said:

Terrorists strike with fear, not mass destruction.

A pipe bomb is just another IED.

the Administration gets elected with fear

and I think the families would not consided a pipe bomb just another IED.

Bluer White said:
I think you'd find a majority of Americans dumbfounded by a city that is able to pass a measure opposing the presence of military recruiters at public schools and colleges.

If this is the case, I think you'd find a majority of Europeans dumbfounded at how a majority of Americans think it appropriate to put military recruiters at public schools and colleges.

Bluer White said:

I agree. Let´s send the kids to Iraq so they die a little younger!

God bless America.

I always thought Starbucks would make an obvious terror target - you know, the ultimate in American coffee culture, pushing out the locals.

I was surprised, then, when one of the Bali bombers (you know, anti-capitalist, anti-west, etc) was let out of prison to have coffee at Starbucks. Says something about his dedication to the cause.

A_Wanderer said:
I guess he couldn't say no to coffee at low, low prices :wink:

low prices?

not at Starbucks ...

latte-prices-0928.gif

i prefer Caribou Coffee these days, but brew my own more often than not. rather wasteful with all those paper cups and plastic lids.

Irvine511 said:

i prefer Caribou Coffee these days, but brew my own more often than not. rather wasteful with all those paper cups and plastic lids.

Our local coffee house has ruined me. It's the best coffee I've ever had in this country. But Starbucks is right next to the movie theatre so it's where friends and I always meet for movies. I had to return two double tall lattes last week because with two shots of espresso it bore no resemblance whatsoever to coffee. It tasted like nothing but steamed milk. I'll take Starbucks when I'm on the road traveling because it's convenient and when they get it right it's better than non-espresso coffee but overall, they really suck.

joyfulgirl said:

Our local coffee house has ruined me. It's the best coffee I've ever had in this country. But Starbucks is right next to the movie theatre so it's where friends and I always meet for movies. I had to return two double tall lattes last week because with two shots of espresso it bore no resemblance whatsoever to coffee. It tasted like nothing but steamed milk. I'll take Starbucks when I'm on the road traveling because it's convenient and when they get it right it's better than non-espresso coffee but overall, they really suck.

oh, totally. Starbucks has gone downhill. it was much better 5-10 years ago when they concerned themselves with product.

now, their concern is the idea of an "urban oasis" or "urban living room" so the product itself is secondary to having an air conditioned room (the only time i really go to starbucks is in summer when i'm trapped on the street in the DC swamp heat and will pass out if i don't get indoors and cool down ... and i do still enjoy their Iced Americano) with free wireless and passably bland music.

and i brew a mean cup of coffee. i have my own grinder and buy the good shit from Whole Foods (i mean Whole Paycheck) and only used filtered water -- it's the quality of water that makes a great cup, not just the bean.

Irvine511 said:

and i brew a mean cup of coffee. i have my own grinder and buy the good shit from Whole Foods (i mean Whole Paycheck) and only used filtered water -- it's the quality of water that makes a great cup, not just the bean.

Ditto. I get the good shit from our local coffee place but Whole Paycheck's is excellent, too. I take my coffee seriously (too seriously, perhaps, lol). I ground my beans, use filtered water, and use one of these:

moka.jpg

and one of these:

frother.jpg

Irvine511 said:

now, their concern is the idea of an "urban oasis" or "urban living room"

...which is really nice when you're in an airport with a long layover and come across a Starbuck's with some cushy chairs.

But our coffee culture is so bizarre compared with, say, Europe's where a coffee bar is generally a bar where you run in and stand at the bar, order an espresso which is then slid across the bar to you in a real cup, you down it, and off you go (well, it's been years since I was in Europe but that's what I remember anyway--perhaps American coffee culture has invaded Europe by now).

I like meeting people for coffee, though. I like any excuse to have coffee.

joyfulgirl said:
But our coffee culture is so bizarre compared with, say, Europe's where a coffee bar is generally a bar where you run in and stand at the bar, order an espresso which is then slid across the bar to you in a real cup, you down it, and off you go (well, it's been years since I was in Europe but that's what I remember anyway--perhaps American coffee culture has invaded Europe by now).

it's true, it's like coffee is their only "real" fast food.

(CBS 5) SAN FRANCISCO San Francisco Police are releasing photos of a man who they call a “subject of interest” in their investigation of a bomb left in the restroom of a Starbucks on Monday.

The discovery of the bomb forced the Starbucks at 1401 Van Ness Ave. to close while police evacuated apartments located directly above the coffee shop and detonated the device.

S.F. Starbucks Shut Down Following Bomb Scare

Security cameras caught the man entering the Starbucks on Monday, according to police. Employees told investigators that he asked for used coffee grounds and also some time in the restroom and then left.

The public is being asked to help identify the man who police describe as being about 40 years old, standing 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighing 200 lbs. He has shoulder-length, sandy-brownish hair and was wearing a blue, denim collegiate-style jacket, John Kerry Button, with a hooded-style sweatshirt underneath. Police say he was also wearing blue jeans and carried a small backpack.

A Starbucks employee discovered the bomb -- described as a flashlight with a fuse -- around 1:15 p.m. Monday on the floor of the restroom. She called authorities and a bomb squad defused the device about an hour later without incident.

If you have information about the identity of the man or the ongoing investigation, you are asked to contact the Special Investigations Division at (415)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom