Bomb found in San Francisco Starbucks - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2006, 09:39 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

I think you'd find a majority of Americans dumbfounded by a city that is able to pass a measure opposing the presence of military recruiters at public schools and colleges.
I agree. Let´s send the kids to Iraq so they die a little younger!

God bless America.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:14 PM
It's horrible no matter who their target was.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White

I think you'd find a majority of Americans dumbfounded by a city that is able to pass a measure opposing the presence of military recruiters at public schools and colleges.
think again

A veteran's sign upsets the recruiters next door
Old 01-10-2006, 01:57 AM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 03:14 AM
I always thought Starbucks would make an obvious terror target - you know, the ultimate in American coffee culture, pushing out the locals.

I was surprised, then, when one of the Bali bombers (you know, anti-capitalist, anti-west, etc) was let out of prison to have coffee at Starbucks. Says something about his dedication to the cause.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:35 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

I guess he couldn't say no to coffee at low, low prices
Old 01-10-2006, 04:23 AM   #21
The Fly

LOL, true! Even Jihad must be put on hold when coffee is at stake!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I guess he couldn't say no to coffee at low, low prices

low prices?

not at Starbucks ...

i prefer Caribou Coffee these days, but brew my own more often than not. rather wasteful with all those paper cups and plastic lids.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i prefer Caribou Coffee these days, but brew my own more often than not. rather wasteful with all those paper cups and plastic lids.
Our local coffee house has ruined me. It's the best coffee I've ever had in this country. But Starbucks is right next to the movie theatre so it's where friends and I always meet for movies. I had to return two double tall lattes last week because with two shots of espresso it bore no resemblance whatsoever to coffee. It tasted like nothing but steamed milk. I'll take Starbucks when I'm on the road traveling because it's convenient and when they get it right it's better than non-espresso coffee but overall, they really suck.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Our local coffee house has ruined me. It's the best coffee I've ever had in this country. But Starbucks is right next to the movie theatre so it's where friends and I always meet for movies. I had to return two double tall lattes last week because with two shots of espresso it bore no resemblance whatsoever to coffee. It tasted like nothing but steamed milk. I'll take Starbucks when I'm on the road traveling because it's convenient and when they get it right it's better than non-espresso coffee but overall, they really suck.

oh, totally. Starbucks has gone downhill. it was much better 5-10 years ago when they concerned themselves with product.

now, their concern is the idea of an "urban oasis" or "urban living room" so the product itself is secondary to having an air conditioned room (the only time i really go to starbucks is in summer when i'm trapped on the street in the DC swamp heat and will pass out if i don't get indoors and cool down ... and i do still enjoy their Iced Americano) with free wireless and passably bland music.

and i brew a mean cup of coffee. i have my own grinder and buy the good shit from Whole Foods (i mean Whole Paycheck) and only used filtered water -- it's the quality of water that makes a great cup, not just the bean.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

and i brew a mean cup of coffee. i have my own grinder and buy the good shit from Whole Foods (i mean Whole Paycheck) and only used filtered water -- it's the quality of water that makes a great cup, not just the bean.
Ditto. I get the good shit from our local coffee place but Whole Paycheck's is excellent, too. I take my coffee seriously (too seriously, perhaps, lol). I ground my beans, use filtered water, and use one of these:

and one of these:

Old 01-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

now, their concern is the idea of an "urban oasis" or "urban living room"
...which is really nice when you're in an airport with a long layover and come across a Starbuck's with some cushy chairs.

But our coffee culture is so bizarre compared with, say, Europe's where a coffee bar is generally a bar where you run in and stand at the bar, order an espresso which is then slid across the bar to you in a real cup, you down it, and off you go (well, it's been years since I was in Europe but that's what I remember anyway--perhaps American coffee culture has invaded Europe by now).

I like meeting people for coffee, though. I like any excuse to have coffee.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But our coffee culture is so bizarre compared with, say, Europe's where a coffee bar is generally a bar where you run in and stand at the bar, order an espresso which is then slid across the bar to you in a real cup, you down it, and off you go (well, it's been years since I was in Europe but that's what I remember anyway--perhaps American coffee culture has invaded Europe by now).

it's true, it's like coffee is their only "real" fast food.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

and one of these:

however, with coffee, it seems as if would be more appropriate.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
(CBS 5) SAN FRANCISCO San Francisco Police are releasing photos of a man who they call a “subject of interest” in their investigation of a bomb left in the restroom of a Starbucks on Monday.

The discovery of the bomb forced the Starbucks at 1401 Van Ness Ave. to close while police evacuated apartments located directly above the coffee shop and detonated the device.

S.F. Starbucks Shut Down Following Bomb Scare

Security cameras caught the man entering the Starbucks on Monday, according to police. Employees told investigators that he asked for used coffee grounds and also some time in the restroom and then left.

The public is being asked to help identify the man who police describe as being about 40 years old, standing 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighing 200 lbs. He has shoulder-length, sandy-brownish hair and was wearing a blue, denim collegiate-style jacket, John Kerry Button, with a hooded-style sweatshirt underneath. Police say he was also wearing blue jeans and carried a small backpack.

A Starbucks employee discovered the bomb -- described as a flashlight with a fuse -- around 1:15 p.m. Monday on the floor of the restroom. She called authorities and a bomb squad defused the device about an hour later without incident.

If you have information about the identity of the man or the ongoing investigation, you are asked to contact the Special Investigations Division at (415)
Old 01-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

strange.