Bomb blasts rock Iraqi churches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
BBC News
Bomb blasts rock Iraqi churches

Bombs have gone off near four churches in the Iraqi capital and one in the northern city of Mosul, police say.

IRAQ'S CHRISTIANS
Used to number 1 million
Now estimated at 650,000 - about 3% of population
Main communities: Chaldean Catholics, Assyrian
Other rites include: Armenian, Syrian Orthodox, Syrian Catholic, Anglican
Mainly live in Kirkuk, Irbil, Mosul, Baghdad.

How and when will this ever end? It makes me want to hide my head and pretend that I'm not American. We didn't start terrorism, but by God, we sure did stir it up.

najeena said:
How and when will this ever end? It makes me want to hide my head and pretend that I'm not American. We didn't start terrorism, but by God, we sure did stir it up.

What do you think life was like for Iraqi's under Saddam?

STING2 said:

What do you think life was like for Iraqi's under Saddam?

It wasn't pretty. There were torture devices and such at work. As bad as this was the present lack of security, what with gunmen, suicide bombers and other carriers of madness, can hardly said to be any better. A common complaint in Iraq is "this is liberation?". Furthermore there is a common school of thought that as long as U.S. troops are in Iraq this situation won't change. Maybe if they either bust or kill al-Zarkawi something will change. But the guess here is that he's trained someone else to take over in case they get him. I'd imagine he's after martyrdom in the first place as he definitely has the mentality.

najeena said:

You are not kidding. Before the invasion the President of Egypt claimed that an invasion would stir up terrorism and violence in the country. He was right. You could say that Iraq jumped from the frying pan into the fire. "Mission accomplished" my ass.

Last edited:
verte76 said:

It wasn't pretty. There were torture devices and such at work. As bad as this was the present lack of security, what with gunmen, suicide bombers and other carriers of madness, can hardly said to be any better. A common complaint in Iraq is "this is liberation?". Furthermore there is a common school of thought that as long as U.S. troops are in Iraq this situation won't change. Maybe if they either bust or kill al-Zarkawi something will change. But the guess here is that he's trained someone else to take over in case they get him. I'd imagine he's after martyrdom in the first place as he definitely has the mentality.

The Majority of Iraqi's in an ABC news poll stated that their lives were better now than they were just prior to the war.

Saddam murdered 1.7 million people inside and outside of Iraq. Saddam killed more people every year he was in power than have been killed this year or last year. Imagine the incredible cost Saddam's invasions of Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Attacks on Israel have cost the people of Iraq in all kinds of ways.

The world and Iraq are for more secure and better without Saddam in power. Also the vast majority of bombings and attacks continue to be in the Sunni Triangle and Baghdad with the rest of the country relatively peaceful.

verte76 said:

You are not kidding. Before the invasion the President of Egypt claimed that an invasion would stir up terrorism and violence in the country. He was right. You could say that Iraq jumped from the frying pan into the fire. "Mission accomplished" my ass.

The mission to remove Saddam from power was accomplished and everyone should see the massive benefits of this fact considering what Saddam did in his 25 years in power. I don't see how anyone could believe that another 20 years of Saddam and 1.7 million dead people would be better than the current problems.

President Mubarak often says two different things, saying publicly he is against the war while saying privately Saddam definitely has WMD and the military action should proceed. This is what retired General Tommy Franks who led the operation has said.

Having visited several Christian churches in Muslim countries, I can tell you that life is already difficult (though, in Eygpt, I would not call it fully oppresive).

Sting, I'll be glad to answer your questions later. Right now I'm having to take some time off from politics and FYM due to some terrible stresses in my life. I need to get my act together and then I'll be ready to answer any questions you might have. I will definitely return!

Back
Top Bottom