Bomb blasts rock Iraqi churches - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 01:55 PM
Bomb blasts rock Iraqi churches

BBC News
Quote:
Bomb blasts rock Iraqi churches

Bombs have gone off near four churches in the Iraqi capital and one in the northern city of Mosul, police say.

IRAQ'S CHRISTIANS
Used to number 1 million
Now estimated at 650,000 - about 3% of population
Main communities: Chaldean Catholics, Assyrian
Other rites include: Armenian, Syrian Orthodox, Syrian Catholic, Anglican
Mainly live in Kirkuk, Irbil, Mosul, Baghdad.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:55 PM
This is dreadful. I am so sick of holy places getting bombed in Iraq. What a desecration.

Old 08-01-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
War Child

How and when will this ever end? It makes me want to hide my head and pretend that I'm not American. We didn't start terrorism, but by God, we sure did stir it up.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:42 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
How and when will this ever end? It makes me want to hide my head and pretend that I'm not American. We didn't start terrorism, but by God, we sure did stir it up.
What do you think life was like for Iraqi's under Saddam?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:02 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

What do you think life was like for Iraqi's under Saddam?
It wasn't pretty. There were torture devices and such at work. As bad as this was the present lack of security, what with gunmen, suicide bombers and other carriers of madness, can hardly said to be any better. A common complaint in Iraq is "this is liberation?". Furthermore there is a common school of thought that as long as U.S. troops are in Iraq this situation won't change. Maybe if they either bust or kill al-Zarkawi something will change. But the guess here is that he's trained someone else to take over in case they get him. I'd imagine he's after martyrdom in the first place as he definitely has the mentality.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
You are not kidding. Before the invasion the President of Egypt claimed that an invasion would stir up terrorism and violence in the country. He was right. You could say that Iraq jumped from the frying pan into the fire. "Mission accomplished" my ass.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:33 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

It wasn't pretty. There were torture devices and such at work. As bad as this was the present lack of security, what with gunmen, suicide bombers and other carriers of madness, can hardly said to be any better. A common complaint in Iraq is "this is liberation?". Furthermore there is a common school of thought that as long as U.S. troops are in Iraq this situation won't change. Maybe if they either bust or kill al-Zarkawi something will change. But the guess here is that he's trained someone else to take over in case they get him. I'd imagine he's after martyrdom in the first place as he definitely has the mentality.
The Majority of Iraqi's in an ABC news poll stated that their lives were better now than they were just prior to the war.

Saddam murdered 1.7 million people inside and outside of Iraq. Saddam killed more people every year he was in power than have been killed this year or last year. Imagine the incredible cost Saddam's invasions of Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Attacks on Israel have cost the people of Iraq in all kinds of ways.

The world and Iraq are for more secure and better without Saddam in power. Also the vast majority of bombings and attacks continue to be in the Sunni Triangle and Baghdad with the rest of the country relatively peaceful.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:39 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

You are not kidding. Before the invasion the President of Egypt claimed that an invasion would stir up terrorism and violence in the country. He was right. You could say that Iraq jumped from the frying pan into the fire. "Mission accomplished" my ass.
The mission to remove Saddam from power was accomplished and everyone should see the massive benefits of this fact considering what Saddam did in his 25 years in power. I don't see how anyone could believe that another 20 years of Saddam and 1.7 million dead people would be better than the current problems.

President Mubarak often says two different things, saying publicly he is against the war while saying privately Saddam definitely has WMD and the military action should proceed. This is what retired General Tommy Franks who led the operation has said.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Having visited several Christian churches in Muslim countries, I can tell you that life is already difficult (though, in Eygpt, I would not call it fully oppresive).
Old 08-02-2004, 08:35 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Sting, I'll be glad to answer your questions later. Right now I'm having to take some time off from politics and FYM due to some terrible stresses in my life. I need to get my act together and then I'll be ready to answer any questions you might have. I will definitely return!