Body Dysmorphic Disorder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Oprah did a show about this yesterday, it was so sad. The doctor did say it exists in varying degrees in people and affects their lives in different ways

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200509/20050914/slide_20050914_101.jhtml

Look at the picture of that guy who was on there-he looks like a model to me yet he thinks he looks like a monster. The girl was so pretty too. But obviously you can't tell them that, they don't believe it. Then there was that woman Jenny who had all the plastic surgeries- like Oprah said, Michael Jackson probably has BDD.

It is so strange- some people are seemingly so fond of their looks, and then on the other extreme there are people like this. It really ultimately doesn't have anything to do with their looks though, not if I understand it correctly.

Dr. Katharine Phillips is the world's leading expert on body dysmorphic disorder. She's written what many call the bible of BDD, The Broken Mirror. "BDD is a serious psychiatric illness," Dr. Phillips says. "It's not vanity. And it can be absolutely tormenting."

"People with BDD see themselves differently from the way everyone else sees them," Dr. Phillips adds.

Dr. Phillips says that BDD is one of the most misunderstood psychiatric illnesses to people who do not suffer from it. For instance, you think your daughter or son is attractive, so why are they living in such pain?

"Most people with BDD don't want to be unusually beautiful. Most people just want to look normal, and acceptable," Dr. Phillips says. "They want to blend in and not feel deviant in some way. It's so difficult for people to understand this illness. Family members try to talk to the person out of their concern…'You're beautiful.' But that doesn't work. You need the right psychiatric treatment to get better. This can be a devastating illness, but the good news is that most people get better with the right treatment."

It is a psychiatric illness but part of it is our culture, I would think it has to be a factor in this. It certainly can't help. Obviously it's not just women either.

"Celebrity makeup artist Bobbi Brown has strong convictions about our culture's obsession with perfection.

"I know I'm going to lose some friends out there or customers for talking about this, but I'd rather be honest and help people," Bobbi says. "I just don't get what's happening. All women do is feel bad about the way they look. Society is really pressuring women to look young. I think the older women get, it's such a mistake because if you're doing a plastic surgery to try to look younger, it doesn't work. You just look like you've had plastic surgery."

Bobbi believes it's time we stop the game of comparison before it takes over our lives.

"Women look at images in magazines," she says. "Covers of magazines are paintings! It's a work of art—hairdressers, makeup artists, stylists, and forget about the little surgeries or the big surgeries they've had. It's not realistic. I think American women have to break the cycle immediately. Stop looking at what's out there. If you are constantly comparing yourself to people around you—trust me—there are people that are better looking than you, taller, skinnier, richer, nicer, more talented. Stop! It's not important. It's really about yourself."

That /is/ sad. Too much in this world (especially in America) depends on looking young, slim and perfect. You are supposed to look like a God until you're 30, and then disappear. I have to admit, it makes me cringe every time someone compliments me on my looks, and I am pretty average looking. For someone with that disorder, it must be torture of a special kind, especially if they are what society considers 'perfect' physically. They're never let off that pedestal, when all they want is to be normal.

If our culture is a factor, it really is too bad. Commandment 10 - Do not want what others have. This commandment is sort of for our own protection.

BostonAnne said:
Commandment 10 - Do not want what others have. This commandment is sort of for our own protection.

Of course it is also very useful to the "haves" as they can justify their greed. Almost anything can cut both ways. :shrug:

Like anorexia, "body image" as it relates to this disorder seems secondary. The problem is a psychological issue, but its manifested through manipulation and control over one's body.

A_Wanderer said:
It is independent of culture and media depictions of people.

whoa someone replied to this old thread of mine :wink:

I wouldn't say it's completely independent of media and culture-yes it's psychological and chemical, but media and culture certainly promote and perpetuate negative feelings about oneself.

A_Wanderer said:
It is independent of culture and media depictions of people.

I mostly agree. What media and culture depicts - that's just the outlet. People with these type of disorders, and other diseases like anorexia and any addiction really....take away the plastic surgery, the addictive substance...and they'll find another way, another physical means for their behaviors. What if our culture said it was cool to be morbidly obese? Give it a decade or two and I'd bet a lot of people would then be using obesity as a means of control. The behavior and the psychological issues are there regardless of culture, but I think the manifestations of these issues is the only part that depends on culture.

BostonAnne said:
If our culture is a factor, it really is too bad. Commandment 10 - Do not want what others have. This commandment is sort of for our own protection.

Great application here.

To some extent, I think all people see themselves a little differently in the mirror. The question here is why people take it to such a extreme?

Back
Top Bottom