Bobby Kennedy...40 years later.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Many regular FYMers know of my deep admiration for the late Robert F. Kennedy, and I know I am not alone in here. June 5, 1968 he was shot by Sirhan Sirhan, and 25 hours later he finally succumbed to the fatal wounds. I wasn't even a thought in 1968, in fact my parents got married just 3 days after his death. However, even I can still feel the loss this nation felt with his passing, and I try not to dwell on the "What if?"s, as I know Bobby would have wanted us to look forward rather than think about what might have been.

msnbc.com has wonderful interactive features on RFK.
Where are they now?: Key RFK figures - RFK: 40 Years Later - MSNBC.com

Please be respectful in this thread.

He was a brilliant man who was a visionary leader. He worked tirelessly for human rights. There's little doubt that he would've gotten the Democratic nomination and soundly defeated Nixon in the election. Our country would be better off today if Bobby (and John) had not had their lives ended so tragically.

Thank you for this thread, I am a huge fan also.

Amazing how history was made Tuesday, I am still in awe and I am sure Bobby and his brother John are smiling down on us……

The following is from RFK's Day of affirmation speech at University of Cape Town on June 6, 1966 exactly 2 yrs to the day of his murder.

"Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation...it is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

Robert Kennedy JR,

I remember the day Bobby was killed...I was 8 years old and I remember my Mother was quite upset. America and the World have been worse off ever since. Shame what could have been.

" #Warning# " long post ahead.......

I didn't want to be the one to start a thread about Bobby this time. But now that you have.......

I was 10 when JFK was offed, and somewhat like you HV-remembered how upset MY parents were about this. I was saddish, too, becuase I knew that it was a wrong thing to do, while not yet understanding what the USA & The World had lost.

But I was a precocious child/tween/teen in some ways. I started to pay attention to politics, USA & world events certainly by the time I was like 12ish or so.

I canremember my mom saying over time how RFK was changing- she probably remembering him as AG, and prehaps further back him originally being on Sen. McCarthy's committee, before he later quit.

This was him becoming a more empathetic, and compaasionte person. I vaugely rmember hearin g about how he was a "carpert-bagger" running for Senate in NYS.

will continue>>>>>

Empathy & compassion were/are things taught early to me & I have chosen to retain through my life (oh, I do have my nasty side, but try to keep it yto a minimum). So a statement like that further alerted me to pay attention to RFK.

Eventually I turned againt the Vietnam War, I guess by Spring '67. When I wasn't listening to Rock Radio, I was already listening to Talk Radio for either info, intersting stories & politics. I came upon the late barry Gray radio show, who often hoasted RFK's various support people- Soreson, Van Dan Hueval, and a quite young Jeff Greenfield.

Becuase I liked the things I was hearing about RFK, I didn't join up with Gene McCarthy's supporters. I was quite below voting age- 15, but I want to volunteer doing some simple task eventually at a Campaign Headquarters.

I was greatly moved by the speeches RFK made in his Presidential campaign. The actions he did- visited the poor in Appalachia, Missisppi Delta, the migrant workers in Calif etc.

If you've never seen, for instance, the film (video?) of RFK breraking the news to the mostly Afrcian American crowd gathered Indianapolis, Ind. for their RFK President rally- that Dr. King had been shot & killed...you might want to see that. Deeply sad, deeply compassionate. Totally extemperaneous. He had been told on his campaign plane.

So things went as they went.
I remeber mom telling me in the morning (since it was like 4AM when the unthinkable happened over at the Ambassador Hotel back here in the NYC area) about the shooting.

I had to drag myself into (first year of) High School, a quite lively place (esp in the 60's) becuase it speicalized in Art & Music. I convinced my dad to let me bprrow his little AM radio. I

In the locker room, in between classes I was frantically trying to catch the news.

There were plenty of students who didn't care or weretn't paying attention. If I suppose anyone was glad this had happened , I guess they kept it to themsleves, or I didn't hear about it.

Then there was us, a fairly sizable groupo. You could feel the atmosphere in the school being damped. We'd ask each other, "any new news?". We looked at each other with pained, begging for hope eye all day as we emt up.

I had to go do a class play reheshal. I was grumpy. The person's house we were at wouldn't let us check the radio. Fianally I joined up with another freind. We went to her house to comfort each other, as wed kept vigil.

This went on the rest of the night. My younger sib was also caught up in it, because of me. My mom demanded I go to bed. I had the radio under my pillow.

Thw strange thing was the night before- I had woken up around 4AM by one of the weirdest stomachaches I ever had. I finally was able to go back to sleep. The same thing happened that night, too.

I realized it was the same kind of physical feeling, and I also then realized that it had happened (across the timezones) as the original event had occured. So I suddenly thought "uhoh!". I pulled gthe radio out, flicked it on, and heard the terribile news, which had just been announced. I basically creid into my pillow, and pretty much stayed up the rest of the time.

I think we had school again (the calander diference I don't remember). But I spent most of my time listenin g to the radio, or looking the TV. Of course listening Barry Gray was incredibly intense because of all RFK'S peole coming on here & there.

SO it was a day later the 7th, when they had the casket & service at St patrick's Cathedral Church. I and a friend went down their around 7AM in the mornin g to stand on line. It took about 6 hours to gewt into the church. THere were people who fainted etc because it was a hottish and probably humid June day. We stayed awhile, praying thinking. Saw Jaqueline Kennedy arrive, goin g up the main isle. We finally wnet up to payt our respects. One of those things narrow down around you, and you only see/hear/feel what,s right in front of you. In this case the color and coolness of the wood.

back outside we watched for a while longer. The TV remote vans, cables looking like a SF movie effect- becasue there were SO many of them snaking all around the streets and sidewalks in that area.

The next day tyhe casket was taken to Washington DC> I wanted to go to see the motorcade. My mom was oh, no- you look terrible . But Dad went with me.

We were on 34th Street between 6th & 7th Avenues - across from Macy's.
THere were big old TV cameras perched on top of the door arches of Macy's. Finally the whole motorcade went by. The gigantic crowd not being too noisey in the first place went silent.

Back at home, I had to study for Regent's tests. But I also just kept watching The Train that departed from Penn Station.

To see all the people by trackside, practically every fott of the way where a populatioin was no matter how big, or small- with all the aching sad/poignant signs was devastating.

continued-------

The train took a long time because there were SO many people that they didn't want any acidents to happen. I beleive one did occur. : (

When they reached DC, the stoppeda the Justice Deptment building. SOmewhere else there was a choir singing "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" . When ever I hear that song in the intervening years- that's where I end up back at.

Finally the burial ceremony. I think I spent part of the rest of the n ight, with radio until Barry Gray went off the air a few hours later.

It is 37 minutes, maybe you can download it onto your iPod.

It is a good listen, Hamil let's us relate to him as a person, with human qualities.

just got done watching Bobby again and it's just a big hole where he should of been. What truly tragic loss to the world. Can u imagine what our country would of been like had he lived... It's beyond thinking and words for me. I was three when this happened so I don't remember a thing. Was living in the san fernando valley at the time, suburbs of LA.

thanks for this thread.

I watched Pete Hamill on Morning Joe this morning, very interesting guy with incredible stories.

ah Pete Hamill!

He along with several other people Jimmy Breslin, Mary McGrory, Murry Kempton were the more or less liberal-progresives columists of my teen years.
They all appeared in The New York Post which BACK then- was a liberalish newspaper !!

There is a new photo book out- it's about Bobby's run for the presidnecy.
I haven't seen it yet, but at least one photo of a few photos presented in reviews I remmebr. I'm sure I'll be pulling back some tears when I finally see it in B&N or Borders.

Pete remains a very compellingh writer,and speaker.

just got done watching Bobby again and it's just a big hole where he should of been. What truly tragic loss to the world. Can u imagine what our country would of been like had he lived... It's beyond thinking and words for me.

Amen....:hug: U2F4

HHmmmm.....I forgot was this a theater movie, or made for TV? It wasn't too long ago,? A few years? I think my sis & I saw it, but not sure.

Down through the years I've imagined that parallel America. RFK was far from perfect. In "my" parallel America, i wonder what he would of thought of the feminist movement (I am proud to be a feminist). Would he have been able to understand? He might, perhaps, after a drubbing here & there, and fierce fencing with the best wordsmiths and speakers in the feminist movement.
Still in "my" paprllel America, things would have been "rearranged" from how it has so far ended up here.

I believe from snippets of stories told by people who knew him, he begain to gain some more concrete understanding of how African-Americans were treated in the USA before JFK died. It was the tradgedy of his brother's death that really increased his empathy level to really open his eyes to the various kinds of circumstances of different groups of people suffering in this country, and around the world.

My favorite Kennedy. Its not too late to seek a newer world.

Back
Top Bottom