"Bobby" coming November 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
(Mods do what you will with this...it's a movie but it's also about politics).

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/729/729095p1.html

Preview: Bobby
Impressive all-star cast in Estevez-directed drama.
by IGN Staff
August 29, 2006 - Bobby, written and directed by Emilio Estevez, revisits the night Robert F. Kennedy was gunned down at the Ambassador Hotel in 1968. With an impressive ensemble cast playing fictional characters from a cross-section of America, the film follows 22 individuals who are all at the hotel for different reasons, but share the common thread of anticipating Bobby Kennedy's arrival at the primary election night party, which would change their lives forever.

The events of this historic night are set against a backdrop of cultural issues that gripped the country at the time, including racism, sexual inequality and class differences.

Bobby's all-star cast includes Harry Belafonte, Nick Cannon, Emilio Estevez, Laurence Fishburne, Heather Graham, Anthony Hopkins, Helen Hunt, Joshua Jackson, Ashton Kutcher, Shia LaBeouf, Lindsay Lohan, William H. Macy, Demi Moore, Freddy Rodriguez, Martin Sheen, Christian Slater, Sharon Stone and Elijah Wood.

The Weinstein Company and MGM release arrives in theaters in New York and L.A. on November 17 and expands on November 23.

This will be a tough one to watch simply because of the story, I hope Hollywood does RFK justice because I would hate to see a terrible film made about him. It's coming out around his birthday (November 20) I assume that's intentional. As I said, I hope Hollywood and an all-star cast doesn't screw this up...regardless I'll probably still go see it the first day it's in the theater.

It's going to be so heartbreaking...thoughts?

I want to see it but I dont want to see it. The Casting looks horrible

The US Vs John Lennon looks really interesting.

Last edited:
It's Directed by Emilo Esteves.

Emillllllllllllllllllio!!! Hey Emilio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I saw a commercial for this or something on TV this past weekend. :scratch: The first person I thought about was you Laura! Casting looks odd, but I guess we'll wait and see :up:

I saw the ad on TV over the w/e for this movie too and thought it's something I would like to see. I enjoy projects by and of the Sheen's or by Emelio. But then I heard Lyndsay Lohan and that about did it for me right there, because I cannot stand her - she's a no talent ass clown. How could she get involved in such a project? I'll have to see once the movie debuts what I decide to do. It's very sad tho, I remember vividly when both Kennedy brothers were shot and killed.

Is Demi Moore playing Ethel Kennedy? :eyebrow: Oh well, at least Ashton isn't Bobby.. What part is Lindsay Lohan playing?

I suppose they have to use people like that to try to entice certain demographics to go see it. I hope they will focus on what Robert Kennedy accomplished.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Is Demi Moore playing Ethel Kennedy? :eyebrow: Oh well, at least Ashton isn't Bobby.. What part is Lindsay Lohan playing?

I suppose they have to use people like that to try to entice certain demographics to go see it. I hope they willl focus on what Robert Kennedy accomplished.

No, Demi Moore is playing a washed up singer. It looks to me like no one is playing Ethel or Bobby, that they'll have real footage of them in the movie, which to me will make it even more heartbreaking.

Has anyone seen it yet? I am going to try to see it over the weekend. The review I read in my local paper wasn't good, 2 stars out of 4 and said it was laughable at times

MrsSpringsteen said:

I suppose they have to use people like that to try to entice certain demographics to go see it. I hope they will focus on what Robert Kennedy accomplished.

AS i understand it........the cast is playing various fictional people in the Ambassador Hotel on that whole day into night .

I was listening to David Bender on Air America Radio.

All week long he & guests has been talking about RFK, and his experinces-- he "ran away" from a lot of 7th grade in order to help with the RFK campaign in LA - plus "Bobby".
I missed last night's show - whether he did it liv, or pre-recorded interviews.
But he has one more tonight 8PM E.S.T. - in NYC area it's WWRL AM- 1600.

SO find your Air America radio outlet [if you have one] they've got over 80 affiliates now in the USA. :applaud:

My sis was thinking of taking me to see it--- but we were too involved with our friend's and their families to leave earlier to go.

We will see it together because we both lived through it [@ 15 & 10 yrs], we were VERY shaken up by it [esp coming on the heels of Dr King's assasination, too], and plenty of Kleenix with us.

So she's thinking, maybe Mon or Tues night.

Last edited:
I'm not a crier by any means but I may have to take a box of tissues to this movie. The end to Bobby's life just tears me up inside...who knew you could miss someone so much who died 18 years before you were born...:sigh:

It's really the oddest collection of actors. I cant help but feel it will be awfully overacted, all dim lights and background music, and a failure as a blend of fact and fiction. I'd possibly be interested in it if it were factually portrayed, rather than this free-for-all with implanting hollywood slop over something which is interesting enough on it's own and doesn't require glamming up, or dramatising.

It was a great movie. I feel like I should have studied up on Bobby beforehand since the movie isn't really about him. More about the people around him. I mean, you still get the sense that he was a great man looking for change, but it's through someone else's eyes.

I cried at the end...it's probably a good idea to take tissues. :wink:

And fear not, Lindsay Lohan has very little screen time. Actually, most of the cast does. It's just about 15 minutes for each storyline, but each one is woven together.
Beautifully told. I'm impressed by Emilio Estevez. :up:

A Lot of people called Emillio up once they heard that the film was being made.

Well, I can tell you :sad: all about that whole Horrifying night/day & the days after.

I reccently heard some details I didn't know....
...like the CSN&Y song -
"Long Time Coming" was writen during /or partially about waiting near the hospital [ around 24 hours] to see IF bobby would pull through after such a hideous wound.:sad:

MY parents had to practically throw me into bed because i was glued to the TV & radio.....(i snuck my radio into HS[10th grd] ...listened all day inbetween classes)

On that actual day of the shooting, being on the east coast I went to sleep before the California Primary was completely called.......it was in the morninmg that I found out he'd been shot, and the the hoping, praying and waiting began.
It was Utterly Agonizing.

I was 12. I think it was the first time I knew a little bit of what was happening in politics. I was up through the night praying and praying. And my first real experience seeing that prayer wasn't answered. I lost some of my idealism about him as time went on, but never got over the sense of loss. He was a good man. He was hope. I'm sorry we never got to see if he became a great man.

"If you do, you had better cut your hair"

Whoops! Forgot to post about the movie :reject:

I thought it was brilliant. At first I was getting frustrated, thought it was a bit slow in the beginning, because all I cared about was seeing Bobby. But then I realized WHY they showed the lives of the people at the hotel and the message behind that.

I think there was such a variety of characters that perhaps everyone can find a favorite, or someone they can relate to. It was a way of showing (either for the first time, or reminding us of) the past. The movie seemed to be going in no direction, and then the end is a total mindfuck. You feel the chaos, confusion, loss, pain, hopelessness, etc. It was really interesting to see how the lives of the characters were affected by this assassination.

The end had be bawling like a baby...including the credits.

He was such an inspired man. Hearing his words again, kinda made me put it into the context of the present day. I hope it did that for others. I hope people see this and not only reflect on that time, but reflect on the now as well.

I don't wanna say too much because I want to leave it up for interpretation, but that is just a bit of my thoughts on this movie.

BonosSaint said:
I was 12. I think it was the first time I knew a little bit of what was happening in politics. I was up through the night praying and praying. And my first real experience seeing that prayer wasn't answered. I lost some of my idealism about him
EXTRA :hug:Sas time went on, but never got over the sense of loss. He was a good man. He was hope. I'm sorry we never got to see if he became a great man.

"If you do, you had better cut your hair"

bsaint!
:ohmy: EXTRA :hug:S You "were There", so to speak.

Re : Your RFK experience was somewhat similar expereince for me re:JFK .

I was 10 when JFk was assasinated .
I was a pretty precocious kid when it came to science, politics, Social & Religious concerns/effects in the USA &world. Plus my folks & extended family often talked about this stuff.

So i was upset beacuse with JFK
a) it was a bad thing in geral to kill someone;
b) to do that to the President was an extra terrrible thing;
c) Almost all my big family voted for him in 1960 {i was 7},including my parents. I remember my folks telling me that one set of aunt/uncle was NOT voing for him!
Because of all of THAT, AND HOW my folks & the mostly liberal neighbnorhood I grew UP in.... reacted I was more upset, than say if I wasn't so aware already. ANd say been born white in the South {vs here in NYC}

But with Bobby it WAS a real awareness thing!

Bobby became a better person to me in/around the ?1965 - 66 yrs -- b'c i was somewhat aware of his McCarthy invovlement. sin I became aware of the McCarthy's Witchhunts NOT that many years after the :yikes: House of UnAmerican Activites were over with -- as he became a more expansive & compassionate person after his brother's murder.
I also got that from my mom - HER remarks tht she was beginning to like him better. My folks have been quite compassionate people esp for the undervedly misstreated people in the USA/ World.

WIth both JFK & RFK through the years as i learned more - there were things later to become more dissapointed in AND more happy with.

Did you ever see "thirteen Days"?!?

You GOTTA rent it, if you haven't!

I still "dream" of that OTHER America...had Bobby become President.... :sigh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom